New to the forum? Then say hello here
Drubert155
Bike Make & Model: 1999 vtr1000f
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie poss 06 r1 owner

Post by Drubert155 »

Hi I’m new to this forum and am from Ipswich in the uk

I have the opportunity to buy a friends 06 r1 with 7k on clock , Akra cans,pc3, Maxton rear shock, lightech rearsets,hm qs,ohlins steering damper plus more. For 5k is this fair and also is there anything to know about these bikes as I’ve only ever had Hondas

Thanks

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Newbie poss 06 r1 owner

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Andrew
all you need to know is the 5vy is a cracking bike , most issues will be listed in the 5vy section .
Do you think its worth 5k ?
If you do get it i hope you love it :handgestures-thumbupright:
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi bud and welcome to the forum. For value check out ebay and mcn to get a rough idea but condition is everything, having those mods means nothing if its a skip.
DA.
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2006 5VY

Post by DA. »

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Check it out first. :ugeek:

If it's OK, think... :shhh:

06. R1. 7K. 5K. Juicy extras. :dance:

Buy it. :mrgreen:

End.

There's no such thing as a "normal" biker.
Drubert155

Post by Drubert155 »

Thanks everyone for the replies. The bike is in real good condition and always serviced so seems a good buy.
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Mate.
Sounds like a minter and like its well worth it.
Enjoy the new bike and the forum.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal - good luck with the new bike :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Here's the big question - what colour is it?
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Andrew, you can’t go wrong with a 5vy, they are an amazing bike, I had mine just under three years and I did over 65k trouble free miles.... well apart from having the TPS replaced under warranty, and she still looked fantastic, even though she had been ridden through three winters, 72 miles a day commute in all weathers

The extras you listed make her one trick bike.

Like you, I had only owned hondas prior to buying my 5vy, I must admit this was a purchase of the heart not the head.... head said Honda build quality... heart said R1

I’ve never looked back, on my sixth R1 now, Yamaha’s build quality is first class, easily the same if not better than Honda....

My hondas were very capable bikes, almost like a jack of all trades, master of none.... the 5vy on the other hand excels in all areas, track, twisties, commuting, long distance mile munching and touring .... and boy they put a smile on your face all the time....

I find Yamaha’s talk to you... I mean the feedback I get through the bars, pegs, seat etc tell you what’s going on underneath you.... like... the rear wheel biting into the tarmac on a corner....you can give it a bit more power old chap....or a little slide...steady on old boy it’s a tad slippy don’t you know..... this is something I never experienced on my Hondas.... they were mute compared to my Yamaha’s

And then there is the sound.... the looks of the under seat pipe R1’s, great headlights..... the list just goes on and on.....

Me thinks I like R1’s .... I don’t think you will be disappointed

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Drubert155

Post by Drubert155 »

Thanks again Everyone. Your replies are much appreciated. Moise it’s plain black a bit stealthy.

Simon. You sound very much like me although completely smitten by your r1.

I look forward to chatting some more in the future and as soon as I get it I’ll let you guys know. 👌
R1streetfighter
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: R1 99-03-05-08

Post by R1streetfighter »

Steve R1 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 am Welcome to the forum Andrew, you can’t go wrong with a 5vy, they are an amazing bike, I had mine just under three years and I did over 65k trouble free miles.... well apart from having the TPS replaced under warranty, and she still looked fantastic, even though she had been ridden through three winters, 72 miles a day commute in all weathers Image

Like you, I had only owned hondas prior to buying my 5vy, I must admit this was a purchase of the heart not the head.... head said Honda build quality... heart said R1Image

I’ve never looked back, on my sixth R1 now, Yamaha’s build quality is first class, easily the same if not better than Honda....

My hondas were very capable bikes, almost like a jack of all trades, master of none.... the 5vy on the other hand excels in all areas, track, twisties, commuting, long distance mile munching and touring .... and boy they put a smile on your face all the time....

I find Yamaha’s talk to you... I mean the feedback I get through the bars, pegs, seat etc tell you what’s going on underneath you.... like... the rear wheel biting into the tarmac on a corner....you can give it a bit more power old chap....or a little slide...steady on old boy it’s a tad slippy don’t you know..... this is something I never experienced on my Hondas.... they were mute compared to my Yamaha’s

And then there is the sound.... the looks of the under seat pipe R1’s, great headlights..... the list just goes on and on.....

Me thinks I like R1’s Image.... I don’t think you will be disappointed

Welcome

Stephen Image

Well if I didn’t already have a R1, id certainly buy one after that right up Stephen, but I’d still have to remove the fairing though. :D
Live life like every day is your last as one day you’ll be right!
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

R1streetfighter wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:46 pm
Steve R1 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 am Welcome to the forum Andrew, you can’t go wrong with a 5vy, they are an amazing bike, I had mine just under three years and I did over 65k trouble free miles.... well apart from having the TPS replaced under warranty, and she still looked fantastic, even though she had been ridden through three winters, 72 miles a day commute in all weathers Image

Like you, I had only owned hondas prior to buying my 5vy, I must admit this was a purchase of the heart not the head.... head said Honda build quality... heart said R1Image

Me thinks I like R1’s Image.... I don’t think you will be disappointed

Welcome

Stephen Image

Well if I didn’t already have a R1, id certainly buy one after that right up Stephen, but I’d still have to remove the fairing though. :D
I'd love to streetfighter one just to wind this lot up :lol:
Drubert155

Post by Drubert155 »

Are there any other mods worth doing? Ie gearing,airbox mods? Etc. Thanks