5vy r1 not starting

New to the forum? Then say hello here
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Re: 5vy r1 not starting

Post by newsh »

I would empty the tank completely and replace the fuel filter if it’s been slitting for a while. The ethanol in modern fuel turns to brown sludge.

Old enough to know better.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

polar wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Snakeboots01 wrote:To be honest that is one thing I havent done I have looked at the fuel in a cup and looked good but I will put some fresh in and try that. I would have thought it would try fire with some easy start down the butterfly, but I only squirted a touch in just to try it, I dont think it does them any good that stuff. I've got a few things to try now, fuel check the wiring for the clocks, I will update tomorrow how I get on
Yeah lay off the easy start but you could always try beautain.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
+1 easy start is not good
R1streetfighter
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: R1 99-03-05-08
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by R1streetfighter »

newsh wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Snakeboots01 wrote:Thanks guys. I think I will concentrate on other parts not the alarm no wires are cut I cant find any plugs close to them to plug into.

I have a spark and have lifted the tank taken off the fuel pipe flicked the key and fuel comes out at some pressure not exact on the pressure but it squirts out. I can strip the fuel pump and check the gauze filter see if its blocked.

The er-4 on the dash is getting to me need to see what these clocks do when I get them.

Does the immobiliser kill the injectors because that would answer a lot of questions just thought I would see the red light on the dash flash. The red light does nothing at all key in or out
Take a good look at the big white connector behind the LH fairing. This takes all the signals from ECU to clocks. As well as the lighting and backup voltage to the trip counter).
These plugs are a known source of problems on all the R1s, on my 5VY I had to bypass the connector to get good lights and clean to re-establish the trip backup. Had similar issues on 4XVs.
I agree, the white connector can cause all sorts of issues and plenty of head scratching. Always worth a look.
Live life like every day is your last as one day you’ll be right!
Snakeboots01
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 5vy r1 2004

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Managed to get the bike running turns out it was a us ecu I have bought so swapped the plug leads round and it fired straight up, wish the guy had mentioned that but never mind. Found a dodgy thread on one of the plugs now so the head is off all fixed just need to put it back together, thanks for all the comments and ideas.
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

And yes easy start not a good idea I was just trying to see if I had a fuel problem or spark turns out it was spark that's why it wouldn't start with anything
jompy

Post by jompy »

Snakeboots01 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 pm Managed to get the bike running turns out it was a us ecu I have bought so swapped the plug leads round and it fired straight up, wish the guy had mentioned that but never mind. Found a dodgy thread on one of the plugs now so the head is off all fixed just need to put it back together, thanks for all the comments and ideas.
Glad you have it sorted now mate 👍
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

Snakeboots01 wrote:Managed to get the bike running turns out it was a us ecu I have bought so swapped the plug leads round and it fired straight up, wish the guy had mentioned that but never mind. Found a dodgy thread on one of the plugs now so the head is off all fixed just need to put it back together, thanks for all the comments and ideas.
So, US spec ECU fires the plugs in a different order? Or have I misunderstood?
Old enough to know better.
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Sorry for the late reply yes the cylinders are the other way around from US to EU.
US cylinder 4 3 2 1
EU cylinder 1 2 3 4
That might be the wrong way round but its opposite
So a EU bike with a US ecu the plug leads are the wrong way around so it will not start just backfire
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Snakeboots01 wrote:Sorry for the late reply yes the cylinders are the other way around from US to EU.
US cylinder 4 3 2 1
EU cylinder 1 2 3 4
So a EU bike with a US ecu the plug leads are the wrong way around so it will not start just backfire
FFS. Any idea why?
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
jompy

Post by jompy »

Moise wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 pm
Snakeboots01 wrote:Sorry for the late reply yes the cylinders are the other way around from US to EU.
US cylinder 4 3 2 1
EU cylinder 1 2 3 4
FFS. Any idea why?
Yeah because they're septic tanks , they drive on the wrong side of the road and want to go to war . . . . . In fact all I really needed to say was Donald Trump :whistle:
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Snakeboots01 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 pm Sorry for the late reply yes the cylinders are the other way around from US to EU.
US cylinder 4 3 2 1
EU cylinder 1 2 3 4
That is odd :think: :doh:

I wonder if its due to emissions :think: I know many manufacturers run a different map for the US bikes due to emissions. The new BMW 1000rr is strangled in the midrange on the US bikes because of emissions, so much so people are selling a bike they have had to wait to get within a few months of owning it. The only answer is a flash but that will void the warranty in the US.
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

I have been told that they are restricted in is as well but not sure if this is true