New to the forum? Then say hello here
TUG
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5PW
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to the forum

Post by TUG »

Hello everyone, i've had my 5pw since december as a christmas present to myself.
I'm quite handy with the spanners and pretty good with electrics to boot. Hope to get some more insight into out lovely machines.
Mine is very rough it's been used and abused, she's at 50k and suffering the dreaded 2nd gear fault. I'll be pulling the motor in winter and doing a full tear down, I'm on the look out for loads of performance bits as I really want to get the most out of it as i can, granted i could sell it after fixing the 2nd gear fault etc but tbh I want to keep the bike.
Pic below.

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Re: New to the forum

Post by Danf1 »

TUG wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm Hello everyone, i've had my 5pw since december as a christmas present to myself.
I'm quite handy with the spanners and pretty good with electrics to boot. Hope to get some more insight into out lovely machines.
Mine is very rough it's been used and abused, she's at 50k and suffering the dreaded 2nd gear fault. I'll be pulling the motor in winter and doing a full tear down, I'm on the look out for loads of performance bits as I really want to get the most out of it as i can, granted i could sell it after fixing the 2nd gear fault etc but tbh I want to keep the bike.
Pic below.

Before to tear the gearbox apart check the selector shaft it’s quite often the culprit.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Benjamin
i do love the arse end of the 5pw
Enjoy the forum buddy and heres a thread you might find interesting 👍
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4176&p=55163&hilit ... oom#p55163
TUG
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5PW
Been thanked: 0

Post by TUG »

Danf1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm Before to tear the gearbox apart check the selector shaft it’s quite often the culprit.
I've been told the fork can get worn down and not hold the gear in but as its been jumping for 1000's of miles i'm going to guess that there will be several damaged parts and i'd be shocked if the dogs on the gears haven't failed.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Benjamin, Danf1 is really knowledgable, he has helped me and my mates out many times, so it’s worth considering what he says

Jompy is also quite knowledgeable... what he doesn’t know about tea isn’t worth knowing...

Bring serious now Danf1 is very knowledgeable, as is jompy.

Welcome to the forum... BTW... I know fook all about bikes... I struggle to ride them.... I’m an expert at falling off

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm .

Welcome to the forum... BTW... I know fook all about bikes... I struggle to ride them.... I’m an expert at falling off Image
Well thats not true , you certainly know how to ride them , you ride better than stormtroopers can shoot ! thats for sure
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

jompy wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm .

Welcome to the forum... BTW... I know fook all about bikes... I struggle to ride them.... I’m an expert at falling off Image
Well thats not true , you certainly know how to ride them , you ride better than stormtroopers can shoot ! thats for sure
That’s not difficult mate... but you do realise that they miss the targets on purpose... otherwise A New Hope would have been over before it started... and there would have been no more films ... but then you knew that ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts