New to the forum? Then say hello here
Twm77
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Suzuki gsxr 750
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New guy

Post by Twm77 »

Hi all, im Ryan i joined the group last night basically after any info on the big bang, the good, bad and ugly! Im a gsxr 750 rider at the moment and ready for a thou now and ive loved the look of that r1 since i first saw one!! If u google r1 vs gsxr 1000 the r1 pretty always comes second in peoples opinions but im still swaying towards getting the r1 purely on looks at the moment! Hopefully test riding one next week weather permitting!! And before you all tear me apart for being a suzuki boy my first ever bike was a pw50!

samr1

Re: New guy

Post by samr1 »

Hi Ryan buy a 4c8 rather than a banger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in m8 - consensus of opinion is that the 4c8 needs less doing to it to make it sweet but the sausage sounds sweet with aftermarket pipes - have a go on both then decide :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
petepassion
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: YamaharZX6R

Post by petepassion »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
The banger is an awesome bike, but needs work to suspension and engine map(depending on how and where you ride). Big and heavy compared to a Gixxer, but the engine sound is intoxicating, the bike has bags of character.
If you like a V4, then you'll probably like the banger...if you can get on with its other 'traits'.

Try and get a long road test on one...will be VERY different to your Gixxer.
...I'm Just a passenger
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Ryan
Both the 14b and the 4c8 need a remap !
One jurno said about the 14b that he couldn't get on with it for the first 30 mins of his test ride and that he hated it but after a quick stop for a cuppa he got back on the 14b and instead of riding it like every other inline four he took time to understand the bike and learnt how to ride it properly .
As standard the 14b has a very snatchy clutch and the bike tents to hunt at slow speeds around town but a remap will sort that out , the excessive engine braking and a few other bits and bobs .
If the 14b is the curvey pint swilling sister then the 4c8 is the vodka and tonic drinking sporty sister , I've heard people say that the 4c8 can be a bit hesitant on the throttle as standard a bit like turbo lag but depending on your remap it can be a fire breathing demi god ! PJC had a very sorted 4c8 ( shame he kept crashing it :whistle: ) as an ex racer PJC loved his 4c8 but they like to be ridden hard to get the best out of them .
Both are meant to be good bikes just quite different so do yourself a favour and try both . Infact try a couple of 14b's as the early ones were supposed to be a bit hit and miss power wise .
I hear by do declare that I've never ridden either the 4c8 or the 14b I've just heard the guys on here talk about them ;)
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Hey and welcome. Sam has started something now! ;)

I have a 4C8 and won't get rid of it, it's that good! I was looking at a new 14B with a view to buy and took one out from a dealer to test for a couple of days but it did nothing for me. It felt heavy, I hated the long first gear and it wasn't great on handling into corners as standard. Powering out of a corner was ok but it lost the momentum from entering the corner anyway!

My mate had a 14B and he didn't hang about, but my 4C8 pissed all over him on acceleration and handling, and I didn't have to work hard to do that. As others say nice bike but you have to sling money at it to get anything from it......... just my view. :)
Live life in the fastish lane
andycktm
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: yamaha R1

Post by andycktm »

Hi Ryan,
that didn't go right well mate :lol:
I enjoyed my 12 plate,just don't ride it like the gsxr.
Pretend its a three speed and you'll get along just fine :lol:
Twm77
Lurker

Post by Twm77 »

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply guys this has been doing my head in for ages now so i actually drove 3 hours to test ride the 1 i want Saturday morning! Then when i got there the guy in the shop wouldn't let me take it out in the rain!! Prob for the best i guess but when he started it up i was pretty much begging him to take my cash off me!! Its a white red frame banger with acrapovic exhaust! I love the thing!!
samr1

Post by samr1 »

Not a pink one

watzy160
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha r1 50th Anni

Post by watzy160 »

Welcome dude! :D

You could alternatively buy a 5vy! ;) :lol:
NoExpert
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 2014 YZF-R1

Post by NoExpert »

I love my 2014 R1. They do need some love, but once dialed in, they're loads of fun.
2014 R1 1KB RAPID RED

A friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a dead body.
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Ryan. Sounds like you've decided what you want. As the guys say a bit of money and time spent in the right direction and you'll love the banger. Or not! Did you buy it or waiting for the test ride?

The good - baffles out and listen. Pull up a chair and look at her.

The bad - Decat and flash if not done already, clutch mod, sort out your riding position ( if tall and old like me) then get the suspension dialled in would be a good start.

The ugly - no such thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Ryan , I've owned the 4c8 , two 14b's and a 14 be, they are all good bikes but as Jompy says the banger needs to be ridden differently to an in line 4 , adapt your riding style and they are awesome, the banger is big, heavy and has to be muscled into the corners but boy she is a rewarding bike to ride with a soundtrack to die fir. Yes the throttle is snatchy and coming from a silky smooth fact 750 you will notice that, the weight bad slightly slower steering . My advice, test rude a few bangers if you can, the first ones that came out in 2009 were either good or bad, I got a bad one and hated it, traded it in for a 2011 bike and that one was awesome until someone rear ended me at a t junction... doh ... so ended up with the 14be which was an improvement again.

So welcome and good luck in finding your perfect bike, oh and as Jompy says both the 4c8 and banger will benefit from a flash or remap

Welcome

Stephen

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Chappo
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 2016

Post by Chappo »

Hi and welcome mate :D
2016 R1
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Welcome in mate. :)
Live life in the fastish lane
Twm77
Lurker

Post by Twm77 »

Thanks everyone for your input!! I listened as much as i could but when i heard one i had to get it!! Yep riding it is completely different!! But the noise it makes is unreal!! And the pop,bang,pop on downshift is addictive!! Love this thing!!!!
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Twm77 wrote:Thanks everyone for your input!! I listened as much as i could but when i heard one i had to get it!! Yep riding it is completely different!! But the noise it makes is unreal!! And the pop,bang,pop on downshift is addictive!! Love this thing!!!!
I must admit that's what I fell in love with only bangers, pop bang and a wonderful deep burble.... music to my ears.

The only fault I can find with my latest R1 is that it doesn't sound any where, not a million miles near the sound of the banger

Enjoy your new toy and post up some pics Image

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Twm77
Lurker

Post by Twm77 »

Just out if curiosity how do i post pics on here???
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Twm77 wrote:Just out if curiosity how do i post pics on here???
Try this place to host your image , you don't need to make an account . Once your image is made use the second link down "direct link" copy and paste it on here then highlight the text and click on the image "IMG" button which will be above your text in the options ^
If your struggling then quote my post and you will see how I imbeded the below pic