Dec1
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 2003 R1 5JJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wish I hadn't

Post by Dec1 »

Ayup,

Bought myself my first R1at the weekend, a non-running 52 reg 5JJ in a bit of a mad moment, now starting to wish I hadn't.

I'm not normally known for rash purchases but I think I've excelled myself this time, even though in my defence it's only done 24K and in very good standard condition which was the attraction.

I had seen a recent video clip of the bike running but on the day I came to buy it it was devoid of any electrical power, no ignition lights or anything although it has a new battery and showed 12.8 volts on the meter.

Story is that it was slow starting, the owner had that morning changed the starter relay (solenoid) but then after that nothing. Nothing obvious at first, me thinking oh it'll be the main fuse, bought it, got it home but can't find a main fuse only a 15amp ignition fuse in the housing that contains the others for fan, indicators etc.

I've bridged the solenoid to hear the starter motor and it's very slow so took it out to find it has a couple of wires on the winding burned and broken so will need another, but that’s not all!!!

I've just noticed that the multi plug to the ECU was taped up a bit so thought I'd investigate. I've found a red wire that comes out of the main loom joined simply by twisting together and then the other end stripped of the outer PVC covering and inserted into the plug to connect to a terminal on the ECU. I'm now a little ------ off to say the least.

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Re: Wish I hadn't

Post by Moise »

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a photo showing the main fuse. It's just below the -ve terminal on the battery. One fuse is live and the other is a spare.

My wiring isn't exactly standard.

Unless you buy a minter or are very lucky, you're almost certain to have electrical problems with an early R1. Mine had a faulty reg/rec and some burnt connectors.

The main thing is the overall condition of the bike. Just take your time with the electrical stuff. You can always replace the loom if it's been butchered too badly.Image
Last edited by Moise on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome to the early R1's
If you do a bit of digging in the 4xv and 5jj sections you'll find lots on electrical faults ! Get it sorted and I'm sure you'll love it .
As Moise says take your time it'll be worth it :clap:
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Wish I hadn't

Post by newsh »

Welcome
The ECU wiring strangeness is probably from an alarm or immobiliser that’s been removed.

There’s a multipin connector inside the LH Fairing that’s prone to corrosion, check it and grease the contacts with dielectric grease.
Check your ground strap to the motor too.
Old enough to know better.
Exuptoy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2018 MT10

Post by Exuptoy »

Welcome to R1 ownership. My 4XV hadn't been used for a while and had 40k on it and when I stripped it down I found the stator wiring plug had melted which I've replaced and I've since split every electrical plug and treated them all to corrosion block dielectric grease. I also had to change out the reg rec as it was over charging and leaking battery fluid all over the place when it was boiling over.

As the lads have said, stick with it and it'll come good.

Most used bikes will have had one or two bodges as they've gained extra owners during 15 years or so.

Mine is up for sale in the marketplace on here for £2750 which will seem steep to some people for a 40k bike but for the amount of work it's had done with powder coating, and fresh bearings and all fluids, and fork seals and Barnett clutch and, and, and.......you see where I'm coming from. Yeah, there are R1's out there for £2k but the price reflects the work carried out and the value in the bike and the fact it needs nothing.
If you got yours for a good price then just chip away at it and you have a bargain on your hands.
Chaos.....panic......destruction.......my work here is done!
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in m8 & good luck getting the electrical gremlins sorted - 5jjs really are a great bike & you'll love her when sorted :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

newsh wrote:.
There’s a multipin connector inside the LH Fairing that’s prone to corrosion, check it and grease the contacts with dielectric grease.
Check your ground strap to the motor too.
I must write up some info on the use of dielectric grease one day. I recently fixed a weird fault on my bike by thoroughly cleaning the dielectric grease and associated gunge from the 20-pin white connector.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
BIG UN
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: YAMAHA R1 5JJ

Post by BIG UN »

welcome buddy and hope you get sorted,stick with it,itll be worth it! 8-)
moise,thatd be very usefull mate and greatly appreciated. :clap:
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum, I’m sorry your purchase hasn’t worked out quite as well as you would have liked, and I understand your frustrations, the thing is you have found this forum, which in fact is more like a community, what the guys n gals (me excepted) don’t know about fixing bikes, and in particular R1’s , really isn’t worth knowing, they really know their stuff, been there, done that and have the t shirt to boot, so ask away, peeps will help, they love doing that.

Good luck in fixing the bike and welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts