polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newboy

Post by polar »

Hi all ive just joined this forum with idea of owning another R1.

I used to own a 2004 R1 the first under seat pipes and it was a great bike.

What im thinking about is growing earlier this time - i have found a nice 1 owner 5jj8 sub 10k miles but its a lot of money and im not sure if i would be happy with the mk2 and maybe it would be better to wait for a 4xv to come up.

Just looking for some advice guys - do you think it is worth paying almost as much for a 5jj than a 4xv?

I have other bikes so the R1 would be used but not as much as my other bikes

Any ideas would be really great

Many thanks

Mark

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Newboy

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Mark
It all depends on whether your buying the bike to ride or if your buying it as an investment !
Both the 4xv and 5jj are great bikes but the 4xv prices have gone fucking stupid , the odd mint original low mileage examples are supposedly going for the 5-6k mark :o
To me it seems the 5jj has a better midrange for road riding and although it has the same power as the 4xv because of the 5jj midrange the punch you get at 8-9000rpm on the 4xv is very slightly less on the 5jj .
I would say because of the midrange the 5jj is the better bike and they're cheaper .
If your going to be using the bike and put miles on it then don't worry about the millage so much but make sure 2nd gear is good other wise it's an engine out job . Also if you are worried about miles grab yourself a second hand engine before the prices get really stupid .
Here you go grab yourself a bargain
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16918
Exuptoy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2018 MT10

Post by Exuptoy »

Jompy, have I promised you commission.....if not then I fucking should. :lol:

Welcome Polar, I've owned the 5jj back a long time ago and the 4XV is just as awesome. Can't remember the midrange issue but since owning it, I've had a lot of litre bikes and they all have their plus points.

Mine is a real world bike matey, not quite original due to things like powder coated wheels and pattern screen and seat cowl etc but does that make it a non original R1? Your call?

If you're just after a very clean Blue early bike then for this budget I don't think you can go wrong.

There are cheaper bikes on the bay (especially at this time of year but NONE (I think) with the work thats been done to this one. You can see my thread with the work done HERE. If you want something thats good to go then look no further. I've done 2k miles on it this year and kept a log of the fuel used and money spent since I've had it and it genuinely needs nothing.
Chaos.....panic......destruction.......my work here is done!
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Mark, the 2004 R1’s were an amazing bike, I loved mine to bits.

As the guys have said it depends what you eat your bike for, investment or ride, either way you have come to the right place, what these guys don’t know about early R1’s ain’t worth knowing, oh but just one thing..... Jompy is s great guy but his idea of improving a bike is to remove all the fairings and fit a wooden top box ...... you have been warned

Welcome and good luck in your search for the right bike

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Chappo
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 2016

Post by Chappo »

Welcome along Mark ;)
2016 R1
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Hi all and thank you for the replies.

Exuptoy i have been reading your thread with interest it seems sad that you need to sell it! It is an option i will think about?

You all seem like a really nice lot on here, at the moment i dont know what i want from my new/older R1 - it cant be too mint because i do wish to use it on sunny days - although i doubt it will be as often as as i would like.

I dont think the investment bit bothers me but would be content not to lose a fortune on it if i need to sell it?

What ever i do i think i will take my time ive had a good look on ebay, mcn and autotrader and im totally confused by the pricing :shock:

I will keep everyone up to date on what i'm up to.

Mark
Redjj
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: MT-09 2018

Post by Redjj »

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. The guys are always happy to share their thoughts on the various R1's, so good luck trying to decide !
Alis volat propriis
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Steve R1 wrote: it depends what you eat your bike for,
Jompys right mate. You do need deciphering sometimes Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Horus-222_R1 wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: it depends what you eat your bike for,
Jompys right mate. You do need deciphering sometimes Image

I had to read my post three times before I noticed my faux pas........ oh dear or is it deer? Image I don’t think I’m safe to be let out today .... lol

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Exuptoy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2018 MT10

Post by Exuptoy »

polar wrote:Hi all and thank you for the replies.

Exuptoy i have been reading your thread with interest it seems sad that you need to sell it! It is an option i will think about?

It's not the fact I need to sell it matey, just can't justify having 2 nice bikes in there and I like having another project on the go (I think I enjoy getting them back up to scratch as much as I like riding them). If it goes I will be looking for another project. The R1 actually owes me as much as I am looking for. I did the same with the CBR1000F I restored, I think I made £100 in total without taking into account my labour and even on the SV650 I only made £300 and that was because I never had the wheels powder coated! I could keep going for ever and ever with the garage getting smaller and smaller with all the toys in there. :lol: I'm in no rush to shift the R1 really and its just good to go whenever the mood takes me. It's just the Daytona 675 is an awesome toy and I can't let that go.
Chaos.....panic......destruction.......my work here is done!
jompy

Post by jompy »

Mark when I originally posted I'd forgotten Exuptoys bike was a 4xv and had it in my head it was a 5jj , it's also a late registered 98 model and I doubt you'll find a more honest 4xv in the same condition for that price , keep looking mate you never know your luck and what ever you do get I hope your happy with it :handgestures-thumbupright:
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

The only difference between the 4xv and 5jj carbs is the pilot jets, which are 17.5 on the 4xv and 15 on the 5jj. Some later 4xv's may have the smaller ones, but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone here. The smaller pilot jets can be the only reason for the better mid-range of the 5jj.

If you do buy a 4xv, it's well worth changing them.

I certainly wouldn't pay much of a premium for a 4xv if you're going to ride it. However, the silly money seems to be for "graffiti" paint scheme, and you should be able to pick up a 99 for similar money to a 5jj.

I can't imagine you'd find a better 4xv for the money than Exuptoy's blue one. But then I'm one of the weird people who doesn't like the red / white paint scheme.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

jompy wrote:Mark when I originally posted I'd forgotten Exuptoys bike was a 4xv and had it in my head it was a 5jj , it's also a late registered 98 model and I doubt you'll find a more honest 4xv in the same condition for that price , keep looking mate you never know your luck and what ever you do get I hope your happy with it :handgestures-thumbupright:
Well its all on hold now for a little bit anyway - popped up to Maxtons to drop of my FJR forks for revalve/springs, they are too weak as standard.

Anyway i was going to pop over to colwyn bay motorcycles as they have quite a few 4xv and 5jj just to have a look see - curiosity i suppose because it look like they are euro imports. Anyway the n/s/f wheel bearing has gone big time on my van on the way back - so never did get to Colwyn bay :roll:

So ill have to do that when i can then the search resumes! New years resolution new/old R1 :dance:

Thanks for the advice guys you have all been brilliant :clap:
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Moise wrote:The only difference between the 4xv and 5jj carbs is the pilot jets, which are 17.5 on the 4xv and 15 on the 5jj. Some later 4xv's may have the smaller ones, but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone here. The smaller pilot jets can be the only reason for the better mid-range of the 5jj.

If you do buy a 4xv, it's well worth changing them.

I certainly wouldn't pay much of a premium for a 4xv if you're going to ride it. However, the silly money seems to be for "graffiti" paint scheme, and you should be able to pick up a 99 for similar money to a 5jj.

I can't imagine you'd find a better 4xv for the money than Exuptoy's blue one. But then I'm one of the weird people who doesn't like the red / white paint scheme.

Great info Moise - thank you for your help - see you can learn something everyday if you listen and read from the people who know :clap:
jompy

Post by jompy »

polar wrote:
jompy wrote:Mark when I originally posted I'd forgotten Exuptoys bike was a 4xv and had it in my head it was a 5jj , it's also a late registered 98 model and I doubt you'll find a more honest 4xv in the same condition for that price , keep looking mate you never know your luck and what ever you do get I hope your happy with it :handgestures-thumbupright:
Well its all on hold now for a little bit anyway - popped up to Maxtons to drop of my FJR forks for revalve/springs, they are too weak as standard.

Anyway i was going to pop over to colwyn bay motorcycles as they have quite a few 4xv and 5jj just to have a look see - curiosity i suppose because it look like they are euro imports. Anyway the n/s/f wheel bearing has gone big time on my van on the way back - so never did get to Colwyn bay :roll:

So ill have to do that when i can then the search resumes! New years resolution new/old R1 :dance:

You'll be spending big money at a dealers , there was a 5jj in a dealer local to me a year or so ago , it was covered in stickers and they wanted £5200 for it :lol:
Colwyn bay ! My ex-wife lived in deganwy when I met here and an ex girlfriends parents lived in Colwyn bay :whistle:
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

jompy wrote:
polar wrote:

You'll be spending big money at a dealers , there was a 5jj in a dealer local to me a year or so ago , it was covered in stickers and they wanted £5200 for it :lol:
Colwyn bay ! My ex-wife lived in deganwy when I met here and an ex girlfriends parents lived in Colwyn bay :whistle:

Yea have you seen the prices they are asking for them! I was just curious as to why they thought they were worth that money :shock:

But as you guys know its all new to me so i need to keep all my options open.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Mate you'll get there , no need to rush
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Happy Christmas to all i hope you have a good one - roll on summer ea!

mark
jompy

Post by jompy »

Merry Christmas bud
Redjj
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: MT-09 2018

Post by Redjj »

Happy Christmas to you and yours Mark
Alis volat propriis
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Hi all

After going and looking at a fair few supposedly mint 4XV's and 5JJ's in dealers - that were just total sheds with warranty not worth the paper it was written on. :eusa-naughty:

I ended up dropping on a private sale 4XV 1998 with 16k miles on it. The owner was a really nice bloke and the bike looks totally standard apart from the rear reflector and it has HELL brake lines fitted, but he fitted black ones to try and keep it looking standard.

I managed to negotiate a really good price so I couldn't walk away and i bought it.

It runs fine, everything works and even the header stud nuts are still like new i suspect its never been ridden in rain.

So im a happy puppy with a new toy.

Thanks for all the advice guys I no doubt will be asking questions in the near future. :clap:

Mark
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

get some pics on when ya can :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Will do mate :handgestures-salute:
jompy

Post by jompy »

Where's the fucking pictures ? :lol:
:text-worthless:
Nice one Mark , glad your happy with it :handgestures-thumbupright:
Ask away bud but don't expect intelligent answers :lol:
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

How do i do picks then - im a luddite :lol:

I have an iphone ill take them on that then put them on my mac then what do i do :think: