Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Hello

Post by jompy »

Jum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm Sorry man of little words
Thanks for letting me join will be
Doing a lot of reading of post geting some ideas
Ridding a Thunderace at moment been thinking about changeing to a r1 👍🏻
No worries Jamie , not everyone spouts verbal diarrhea like I do :lol:
One of the other guys has got a thunderace as well as his R1 s I guess you may be chatting to him :whistle:
Somewhat model R1 you going for ?
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M
Has thanked: 0

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Jamie, and thank you for such s long and interesting introduction.... lol

Seriously.... ignore me.... the rest of the guys n gals do...

This is a great forum.... well actually... we are more like a biking community... I’m being serious now... people on here are very knowledgable and helpful... so any questions.... just ask

Please forgive my strange sense of humour on the first line.... we do like s giggle or three on here from time to time

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 pm
Jum wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm Sorry man of little words
Thanks for letting me join will be
Doing a lot of reading of post geting some ideas
Ridding a Thunderace at moment been thinking about changeing to a r1 👍🏻
No worries Jamie , not everyone spouts verbal diarrhea like I do :lol:
One of the other guys has got a thunderace as well as his R1 s I guess you may be chatting to him :whistle:
Somewhat model R1 you going for ?
welcome to the mad house I’m a newbie myself loads of good info and banter on this forum.👍👍👍
Try and get on with Jompy I think they put him in charge cos he’s no good at anything else :roll:
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal - get stuck in & don't be shy :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Jum
Bike Make & Model: Thunderace

Post by Jum »

Thanks fellers
All ways up for a bit of banter
Have all ways liked the early 4xv
If anyone has any tips on what to look for
Would been much appreciated thanks
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Re: Hell

Post by Danf1 »

4xv is awesome you’ll see a massive jump from the ace I did. It’s a smile a mile. Have a look at 4xv full restoration post it’s a bit like war and peace but it’s a bloody good read (don’t tell him I said so ). exup valves can stick but easy fix and they can jump out of gear from 2nd to 3rd (worn dogs on the gears or a week spring) again it’s fixable depends on how much you’ve got to spend and how much work you are prepared to do. The older ones are now getting a bit pricey but you might get lucky. Don’t rule out newer models there are often better bargains to be had as they are not yet “collectible “ good luck.👍👍👍
jompy

Post by jompy »

Where to start :think:
Don't be put off with the replys these are an 18-20 year old bike .
First bit of advice , unless you absolutely have to have a 4xv for the sake of having a 4xv (understandable) go for a 5jj , it's virtually the same bike but 4xv's are becoming stupid money which is pushing up 5jj prices and the 5jj has a better midrange although it's only a case of changing the pilot jets !
You can usually tell if one's been dropped as it will have whiteness marks/ dints on the swing arm where the rearsets have hit the swingarm .
As said they can jump out of second gear , Markypvs sorted his 5pw second gear in the thread "triggers broom" ( more or less the same bottom end) and it was around £350 for parts and it's an engine out job but is not hard apparently ( covered in the $300 R1 thread ) of someone said it was £800 at his local garage bugger quotes .
Carbs can sometimes be a problem because of their age , ginger Jon is stripping them , ultrasonic cleaning and rebuilding them with new seals for around £100
5jj engines are virtually exactly the same as the 4xv and are interchangeable and I believe the 5pw bottom end is interchangeable too but make sure you get that confirmed first .
Bodywork , tank seat and rear subframe are different between the 4xv & 5jj .
You missed a nice 98 blue 4xv that went for £2500 on here last month .
Have a bloody good look through the 4xv &5jj sections they're a wealth of knowledge .
Also try "$300 R1" also in the projects section
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17416
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 pm Where to start :think:
First bit of advice , unless you absolutely have to have a 4xv for the sake of having a 4xv (understandable) go for a 5jj , it's virtually the same bike but 4xv's are becoming stupid money which is pushing up 5jj prices and the 5jj has a better midrange although it's only a case of changing the pilot jets !
You can usually tell if one's been dropped as it will have whiteness marks/ dints on the swing arm where the rearsets have hit the swingarm .
As said they can jump out of second gear , Markypvs sorted his 5pw second gear in the thread "triggers broom" ( more or less the same bottom end) and it was around £350 for parts and it's an engine out job but is not hard apparently ( covered in the $300 R1 thread ) of someone said it was £800 at his local garage bugger quotes .
Carbs can sometimes be a problem because of their age , ginger Jon is stripping them , ultrasonic cleaning and rebuilding them with new seals for around £100
5jj engines are virtually exactly the same as the 4xv and are interchangeable and I believe the 5pw bottom end is interchangeable too but make sure you get that confirmed first .
Have a bloody good look through the 4xv &5jj sections they're a wealth of knowledge .
Didn’t mean to sound negative it’s just what’s happened to mine the gearbox job wasn’t that expensive but I did drop the motor out myself. Just needed two new gears. They are great bikes. Sorry Jompy. :(
jompy

Post by jompy »

Danf1 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 pm
jompy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 pm Where to start :think:
Didn’t mean to sound negative it’s just what’s happened to mine the gearbox job wasn’t that expensive but I did drop the motor out myself. Just needed two new gears. They are great bikes. Sorry Jompy. :(
No mate I was on about my post sounding negative ;)
2nd gear is a must check :handgestures-thumbupright:
In the past when people have asked what to look out for they've been put off , like I said these bikes are 18-20 years old
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi jum and welcome,

the 4xv's are getting very collectable and you will see from the pricing dealers are starting to think they are made of gold. privately you are looking anware from 2.5k to 5k will get you something nice that will need tlc for the rest of its life.

I owned a 2004 R1, the underseat piped version and they are going for little money considering how good the bike is. I would defo have another one.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

I love my 4xv, but if I was to do it again, would probably buy a 5pw. You get pretty much the same engine, less weight, and sorted suspension and steering. They aren't as mental as the 4xv, but then tankslappers and wheelies on bumpy corner exits lose their novelty after a while.

I can't believe I just wrote that. :(

It really depends what you want though. I ride my bike quite a lot and do a few trips a year, so did sort the rear suspension. But if you just ride on fine Sunday afternoons for a couple of hours, then why not have a 4xv. They are fun!

There was a good feature in Performance Bikes last year on the R1, you can still download a copy.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue