New to the forum? Then say hello here
Adi4ro
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New R1 Owner

Post by Adi4ro »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi.

Bought my first R1 a few days ago, coming from a CBR1000rr 14...tired of the common ABS issues..but mostly not out of need but because my dream was always an YAMAHA R1 ever since I got on bikes I was a Yamaha fan and had other smaller capacities.

But I have to admit that its tall as hell for me:)) need to learn to deal with it..on the CBR I could reach with both feet down..just a bit..but on this one I can't even get my tip toes( which is really why its taken me soo long to get one...didn't wanna jump straight on one and ruin it but now I feel more confident) ..any advice are much appreciated as always.

So without further ado i present to you my new lovely R1 Anniversary Edition.

Can anyone help me out a bit btw, I need a link pipe and I'm not exactly sure which one would fit and they seem to be 600+...I'm not gonna pay that when I can have a racefit with the link pipe included for 750(btw love racefits as I had it on the CBR).

MrGman
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: 60th R1

Re: New R1 Owner

Post by MrGman »

Hello and welcome.

Only just joined myself and also picking up a 60th in a couple of days, can't wait!
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

MrGman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 pm Hello and welcome.

Only just joined myself and also picking up a 60th in a couple of days, can't wait!
Ohh thats soo nice, hope you enjoy it as much as me :D any chance you're around London?
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Adi.
Absolute beauty. Congrats.
Plenty of folk here with your model that’ll help you out on best options for lowering and link pipes matey.

SteveR1 might be along shortly...for the shorty question. He’s had most models and is not our tallest member. 😎
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
MrGman
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: 60th R1

Post by MrGman »

I'm down in East Sussex
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

MrGman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 pm I'm down in East Sussex
Haven't been there in a while(ever since I used to have a Girlfriend there :doh: )
Horus-222_R1 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pm Welcome in Adi.
Absolute beauty. Congrats.
Plenty of folk here with your model that’ll help you out on best options for lowering and link pipes matey.

SteveR1 might be along shortly...for the shorty question. He’s had most models and is not our tallest member. 😎
Thank you, thats soo nice to know...hopefully I get a few tips as I look ridiculous wiggling from side to side when(once in a blue moon) bike goes out of balance at stops:))
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

welcome in Adi
Those Annie's are sweet :handgestures-thumbupright:
i had a short girlfriend who owned a BMW GS1000 and she used to slide off to one side to put one foot down , worked a treat :dance:
Enjoy the forum buddy :)
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Adi, like you I’m vertically challenged and was on my top toes , however my dealer lowered the bike for me, they replaced the dog bone at the bottom of the shock, it’s made it perfect for me.... indeed they lowered a demo for me to try and then fitted the same dig none to the bike I bought

Like you I’ve always been a Yamaha man , started off in hondas then saw the light

Your anniversary R1 is a truly beautiful bike, some of the guys in here have had problems with stone chips, I got my bike covered in venture shield ... it keeps them looking mint.

Re the link pipe, if you go with an ackrapovic link pipe to fit the ackrapovic can the bike came with it will be loud.... about 110db

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new R1....

I will post up a picture of my dog bone.... actually ... that sounds illegal... lol

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal - the anni looks sweet :-) - just get the racefit m8 they sound the mutts nuts :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

Steve R1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am Welcome to the forum Adi, like you I’m vertically challenged and was on my top toes , however my dealer lowered the bike for me, they replaced the dog bone at the bottom of the shock, it’s made it perfect for me.... indeed they lowered a demo for me to try and then fitted the same dig none to the bike I bought Image

Like you I’ve always been a Yamaha man , started off in hondas then saw the light Image

Your anniversary R1 is a truly beautiful bike, some of the guys in here have had problems with stone chips, I got my bike covered in venture shield ... it keeps them looking mint.

Re the link pipe, if you go with an ackrapovic link pipe to fit the ackrapovic can the bike came with it will be loud.... about 110db Image

I will post up a picture of my dog bone.... actually ... that sounds illegal... lol

Welcome

Stephen Image

Hi Stephen, I just got the bike a few days ago and by the time I brought it home I already noticed the stone chip issue.

I’m glad to hear from you as I’d like aome first hand experience, basically I’m fine with the bike when coming to a controlled stop and etc but what worries me is when I have to suddenly come to a stop ex cars cutting in and etc at which point the bike might end up wanting to tilt on the wrong side not the one I anticipated. So I’m considering lowering just enough so that if push comes to shove I can put a fut down on either side so the bike wont fall.

Now my concern is...I hear a lot of people telling others not to lower as it will affect the handling and etc really badly... Is it really that bad? And did you lower front as well?

I will probably shave the seat a bit aswell.

Regarding the link pipe..I just need to find one:))

I also wonder if the bike is set for my weight(77 kg) from standard as that will probably lower it too.. got a reflash and a setup booked anyway for 11th of August.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Adi4ro wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 am
Steve R1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am Welcome to the forum Adi, like you I’m vertically challenged and was on my top toes , however my dealer lowered the bike for me, they replaced the dog bone at the bottom of the shock, it’s made it perfect for me.... indeed they lowered a demo for me to try and then fitted the same dig none to the bike I bought Image

Like you I’ve always been a Yamaha man , started off in hondas then saw the light Image

Re the link pipe, if you go with an ackrapovic link pipe to fit the ackrapovic can the bike came with it will be loud.... about 110db Image

Welcome

Stephen Image

Hi Stephen, I just got the bike a few days ago and by the time I brought it home I already noticed the stone chip issue.

I’m glad to hear from you as I’d like aome first hand experience, basically I’m fine with the bike when coming to a controlled stop and etc but what worries me is when I have to suddenly come to a stop ex cars cutting in and etc at which point the bike might end up wanting to tilt on the wrong side not the one I anticipated. So I’m considering lowering just enough so that if push comes to shove I can put a fut down on either side so the bike wont fall.

Now my concern is...I hear a lot of people telling others not to lower as it will affect the handling and etc really badly... Is it really that bad? And did you lower front as well?

I will probably shave the seat a bit aswell.

Regarding the link pipe..I just need to find one:))

I also wonder if the bike is set for my weight(77 kg) from standard as that will probably lower it too.. got a reflash and a setup booked anyway for 11th of August.
Adi don't let Steve fool you in to thinking he's a slow rider as he can definitley hold his own ! Steve posted in the general bike section the other day in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Hi Adi, sorry to hear about the stone chip Image

Re lowering... I just lowered mine with the dog bone, didn’t lower the front, but that’s always an option . Regarding handling, I’ve ridden standard bikes and dog bone lowered bikes, they handle the same.

I’m 5’5”, 29” inside leg and 141 lbs (64kg) I haven’t shaved the seat, I did that in a banger I lowered and didn’t like it so I had to buy another standard seat.

I would suggest you try the dog bone first, if you still want it a bit lower, do the front and finally shave the seat if you need more. The dog bone change did it for me, my feet arnt both flat on the floor, but I can get enough foot down, either side to catch the bike if it goes pear shaped .

My dog bone

On these R1’s it comes in two thin pieces, the bangers just had one very thick dog bone

Hope this helps mateImage

Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

Jompy, the thought never crossed my mind:)) its just that I always get to places where people that hear that others want to lower a bike..they do anything but killing them or something...its like is something sacred or something..I'm 5'67 with a 29" inseam but my upper side is taller then my lower kind of... like my dad and my cousin are both shorter then me..not by much but a few cm..but they can reach both sides no problem..but when I get on their bike I always have to adjust the mirrors as they are set tooooo low.

Ohh I know Lust Racing I was 90% thats the one...how many mm did you choose to lower? I know they do..something like from 10 to 40..and my understanding is that if you lower the back you MUST lower the front so that you keep the bikes geometry similar.

I am glad to hear that everything is seems the same on the bike after lowering and probably no parts are dragging and etc..maybe I will give it a shoot..as I do get my heart racing a bit whenever a situation arrives where I think I might need to put my left foot down as thats reallyyyy uncomfortable for me.
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

Adi4ro wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:17 pm Jompy, the thought never crossed my mind:)) its just that I always get to places where people that hear that others want to lower a bike..they do anything but killing them or something...its like is something sacred or something..I'm 5'6 with a 29" inseam but my upper side is taller then my lower kind of... like my dad and my cousin are both shorter then me..not by much but a few cm..but they can reach both sides no problem..but when I get on their bike I always have to adjust the mirrors as they are set tooooo low.

Ohh I know Lust Racing I was 90% thats the one...how many mm did you choose to lower? I know they do..something like from 10 to 40..and my understanding is that if you lower the back you MUST lower the front so that you keep the bikes geometry similar.

I am glad to hear that everything is seems the same on the bike after lowering and probably no parts are dragging and etc..maybe I will give it a shoot..as I do get my heart racing a bit whenever a situation arrives where I think I might need to put my left foot down as thats reallyyyy uncomfortable for me.
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Welcome

Stephen Image

There were two in Llandovery last weekend one had an sc project decat and pipe well it was a piss take he’s going to get pulled every 5 mins. The other was a yoshy carbon fibre job much more sensible but still fruity not as nice looking but not stupid loud.
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

Danf1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 pm There were two in Llandovery last weekend one had an sc project decat and pipe well it was a piss take he’s going to get pulled every 5 mins. The other was a yoshy carbon fibre job much more sensible but still fruity not as nice looking but not stupid loud.
Actually they won't get pulled over :P I had an Racefit on my CBR..and that sounds mental believe it or not..must be 115db or more... and not once have I got pulled over and actually I put petrol at a common stop for cops.
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Bit late but hi and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new bike, something about the R1 that no other sports bikes can equal, i finally got the R1 ive always wanted in jan this year the 4xv. In reality my 04 R1 was better in many ways but i still love the original. Yours is a great bike may you have many trouble free miles mate.
Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

polar wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 pm Bit late but hi and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new bike, something about the R1 that no other sports bikes can equal, i finally got the R1 ive always wanted in jan this year the 4xv. In reality my 04 R1 was better in many ways but i still love the original. Yours is a great bike may you have many trouble free miles mate.
Thank you very much mate:D and you're right ..its just something..and some people can't understand me..but thats their issue..its something I love :D
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I love R1’s as well... indeed my wife says I have had a long running affair with my R1’s... lol

Re which dog bone was fitted? I don’t know, I’ll measure the original one and the one in the bike , will also ask Wigan y when I pop over next week and will let you know mate.

All in all I’ve had 4 R1’s lowered via the dog bone and one R6 , only had one of them dropped through the forks (ie front and back) the others were back only.... I really didn’t notice any difference, other than the bike was better for me to ride because it inspired confidence as I knew my feet could get on the ground if needed

I think some of the people who spout it will
change the handling etc don’t know what they are talking about, yes if the geometry is changed it can affect turn in but at my level of ability I can’t notice it ....

Also if you do lower the forks you are also slightly changing the geometry from standard but not as much as if you just do the dog bone, but as I say, I really can’t notice the difference, but I do know I’m far far more confident riding the lowered bike than one that hasn’t been lowered

Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

A word of warning about LUST RACING. I’m currently in dispute with them after a 3 month argument over a jack-up link.

Nice craftsmanship on the part but what a bunch of lying, idiots they turned out to be. I’ll finish my warning post when I get a mo. Sent me the wrong part, admitted it, then denied it. Took the part back, kept that and my money after agreeing to refund it 5 weeks ago. Totally refused until I threatened them with Trading Standards and court. Complete bunch of thick muppets on sales.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Adi, I’ve measured my dog bone, the one on the bike comes out at 16cm, centre of bolt to centre of bolt....

Sorry my thumb was in the way... not easy holding a tape whilst taking a photo lying on your back... lol

The OE dog bone is 15cm middle of bolt to middle of bolt....

Hope this helps Image

Adi4ro
Lurker

Post by Adi4ro »

Steve R1 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:35 pm Adi, I’ve measured my dog bone, the one on the bike comes out at 16cm, centre of bolt to centre of bolt....

Sorry my thumb was in the way... not easy holding a tape whilst taking a photo lying on your back... lol

The OE dog bone is 15cm middle of bolt to middle of bolt....

Hope this helps Image

Stephen that seems weird to me as that would indicate the bike being 10mm lowered only which I don’t think Lust racing do as the least I’ve seen is 20mm plus I don’t think it will be that much of a difference with only 10mm drop.

Any chance I could ask you to ask the guy who done them for you how many mm does those dog bones lower the bike.

Really sorry for bothering you and thank you.
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

The linkage ratio is probably about 2:1 so 10mm longer link will lower the bike about 20mm. I would probably lower the front as well to keep the head angle the same but that’s just me ( although I’m 6’6” so definitely don’t need any bike lowered!)
Old enough to know better.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

newsh wrote:The linkage ratio is probably about 2:1 so 10mm longer link will lower the bike about 20mm. I would probably lower the front as well to keep the head angle the same but that’s just me ( although I’m 6’6” so definitely don’t need any bike lowered!) Image
Being 1’1” taller than me ..... you probably need it raising..... lol....

My mate who is 6’3” always amazes me.... we come to a stop at a red light.... my feet are on the road.... my bum is on the seat of the bike..... he stands up.... and there is acres of space between his bum and the seat of his bike..... not that I look at his bum......Image

newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

Steve R1 wrote:
newsh wrote:The linkage ratio is probably about 2:1 so 10mm longer link will lower the bike about 20mm. I would probably lower the front as well to keep the head angle the same but that’s just me ( although I’m 6’6” so definitely don’t need any bike lowered!) Image
Being 1’1” taller than me ..... you probably need it raising..... lol....

My mate who is 6’3” always amazes me.... we come to a stop at a red light.... my feet are on the road.... my bum is on the seat of the bike..... he stands up.... and there is acres of space between his bum and the seat of his bike..... not that I look at his bum......Image

Pmsl Image
Old enough to know better.