Hello all

New to the forum? Then say hello here
Thundercat Andy
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha yzf thunderca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello all

Post by Thundercat Andy »

Hi everyone. I’m Andy, I’m currently riding a Thundercat which I’ve had for two yrs and have been riding for a little over two yrs. I have always loved the R1’s and very nearly brought one for my first bike (wished I had now) but common sense had to prevail over my heart. Anyway early next yr I plan on owning my dream so thought it a good time to have a gander about and see what I can learn. As I said I’m relatively new to bikes and especially R1’s so be patient and forgiving with me lol

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Hello all

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Andy
Hope you enjoy the forum , any questions feel free to ask away and we'll try to give you sensible answers . . . . . maybe :lol:
How you finding the Thunderpuss ? they're a good first bike . You will find an R1 on another level but don't worry as they can also be ridden at a steady speed :handgestures-thumbupright:
Which model R1 are you looking at owning ?
Have a look round theres tons of info
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in andy - make yourself at home & join in pal :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum, friendly people only too willing to help here mate.

2004 R1 is a bargain at the moment -lot of bike for the money they are going for
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Andy and for what it’s worth, I think you made the right decision to but the thundercat, you will have learnt far more on that bike than you would have if you had jumped straight onto an R1.

Two years down the road a move to your dream bike would be a good move. What you go for will depend on your budget, they are all cracking bikes and a real joy to ride.

Like you an R1 was my dream, when I got my first one.... god it was amazing . I’m now on my sixth and have never looked back.

What I love about them is they talk to you throughout the ride.... no I’ve not lost my marbles... they communicate through the bars, seat, pegs and frame, you might get a little wiggle or a small slide... or feel the brakes biting , the back end digging in as you wind the power on.... either way the bike is telling you something.... “steady on old boy it’s a tad slippery” or “yes I will stop” or”I’m fine and could do with a bit more power”..... that’s what I love about R1’s

So welcome, ask any questions you want, someone will have the answer, oh and the only daft question is a question not asked

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Thundercat Andy

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. As I said I’m looking at early spring next year so have been constantly looking what’s about to gauge price etc. I was thinking in the 4-5 grand mark. However I’ve only just learnt what BIG BANG or cross plane refers to. And am intrigued as to whether it would be best to work my way up to such a bike or should I just wait another yr and go for the newer bike ? Has anyone got any experience of riding the flat and cross plane for comparison
jompy

Post by jompy »

There's a few people that have had both , SteveR1 has had a 5vy , 4c8 , 3 sausages and is now on an R1M . He's done a lot of commuting on the 4c8 and the 14b .
The 14b can apparently take a bit of getting used to but as your still relatively new to biking that may work in your favour , which ever you get they're all good bikes .
Have a good read about them in the relevant sections
jompy

Post by jompy »

Ohh and don't rule out the earlier R1's
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Hi Andy, as Jompy says I’ve had a few R1’s, all were amazing (apart from one) my first was a 5vy, the first under seat pipe R1’s....

She was lava red , I loved this bike, we did just over 65,000 miles I’m just under three years, she was my daily commuter, winter hac, track bike, long distance mile muncher and great fun in the twisties....... only issue was the TPS which was rectified under warranty and paint flaking from the wheels... again rectified under warranty when there was only two days of it left.... how good are Yamaha Image when I came to part ex her I took her to one dealer who thought she looked mint, when I told him how many miles she had done... he wasn’t interested.... the people I bought her from took her in part ex.... gave me a decent price and sold her, very quickly to a new owner who was very happy with her .... I would own a 5vy again.

I got knocked off her whilst stationary at a roundabout.... it was the day before we were going away for our 25th wedding anniversary.... I suffered a crushed foot and the holiday was cancelled.... my wife still reminds me of that.... so after the accident she was sold.... it was a very difficult decision as I loved this bike

I could ride from Warrington to Westminster on this bike, do a 7 hour meeting and then ride home... she was amazing 440 miles round trip Image

Next the 4c8 in 2007

45,000 miles in under two years, she was an amazing bike and for me the best looking R1 ever. She did everything the 5vy did and the bonus... she always looked that little bit better .... she had ackrapovic fitted and a decat and PC III. with custom map . Such a beautiful bike... but the bangers came out.... or as Jompy likes to say “sausage” as a banger is a sausage..... yeah it takes all sorts... lol

So I bought a 2009 Big Bang

I never really got on with this bike, she was a right pig..... my dealer knew I wasn’t happy with it... I couldn’t put my finger on it... I just didn’t like it.... I had it for 2years and hated every minute... we did 25,000 miles in that two years... but just after I bought her I got an 09 R6.... I used her more than the R1 and she stayed with me for six and a half years Image

In the end my dealer knew I was looking at other bikes, they lent me a 2011 banger and I was smitten.... she was just what I wanted the 09 bike to be... they made me a good deal to swap and I had the banger I had always wanted Image

Like the first two R1’s, the 2011 banger did everything, physically, they are bigger and heavier than the first two R1’s I had and slower to steer, but the power from the off is insane... amazing, not quite the same top end but low down power fantastic.... and when, with my riding skills( or lack of them) can I use all that top end power.... oh and the soundtrack.... best I’ve ever had.... better than theM I have now Image the throttle is snatchy but if this is the first big bike you get then you will get used to it, it’s much more difficult coming from a super sports with a silky smooth throttle to the banger. Again ackrapovic decat and PC V with custom map helped sort it out.... I did 25,000 miles on this bike until I was knocked off at a Tjunction .... again I was stationary Image so after 18 months she went and I got this

My 14be anniversary Image

She was amazing, had her three and a half years.... sadly she went into a rash barrier at Oulton Park.... made a right mess of her . She was an amazing bike to ride, by far the best of the bangers.... as I said they are not an easy bike to ride but once mastered they are very rewarding Image

Then I ummed and arred.... a bit before getting the M

She is the best bike I have ever owned and I will never sell her, she has the chassi of a 600 with the silky smooth power of the best R1’s, sound isn’t as great as the banger, she isn’t the best looker, but she is one hell of a ride..... awesome

Good luck in your hunt, any questions just ask

As you can see I love myR1’s Image

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Hi Andy welcome in. Another cracking write up from Steve I never get tired of reading his posts. As you can see a 5vy or even a 4c8 should be in your range next spring (although around Christmas is always a good time to buy). The 5vy is a cracker but if you go 4c8 you can “flash” it when your ready to turn a subtle bike in to a beast but still very rideable. Good luck with the search.
Last edited by Danf1 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundercat Andy

Here’s my first numpty question then.
What’s flashing ?
Rednine
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: S1000rr Sport

Post by Rednine »

jompy wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 pm Ohh and don't rule out the earlier R1's
Not of course that you're biased..............rather like me!! ;)

Oh, and welcome Andy.
You don't stop riding bikes because you're old -you get old because you stop riding bikes.
jompy

Post by jompy »

It's not a numpty question buddy
A flash of a re-map is where using a computer and a program you change the settings on the ECU , this can range from the air/fuel mixture , removing the throttle restrictions in the first three gears , reduce the engine braking amongst other things .
Have a look in the Velox racing section , Mike does a mail order service and everything you need to know about flashing/ re-map is on there
jompy

Post by jompy »

Rednine wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Oh, and welcome Andy.
No not at all :lol:
Andy the early R1's are epic and have an old school kudos , a 5jj or a 5pw can be had for between £2000 - 3500
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Oh, and welcome Andy.
Nor me I’ve got a 4xv as well but from a practical point a newer bike might be less maintenance and more bike for your money.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Danf1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Oh, and welcome Andy.
Nor me I’ve got a 4xv as well but from a practical point a newer bike might be less maintenance and more bike for your money.
Great way to learn how to spanner bikes and with such a wealth of knowledge on here :whistle:
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:47 pm
Danf1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Oh, and welcome Andy.
Great way to learn how to spanner bikes and with such a wealth of knowledge on here :whistle:
Don’t get me wrong I love home maintenance.i once bought a stolen recovered cbr1000f in cardboard boxes and built it back up in 4 long nights. But the older stuff is getting more temperamental look at the big white connector for one example carbs that need regular maintenance as they get older. If I had 4/5k to splash I’d be getting Thr newest possible and if I had to choose 4xv or my 4c8 as much as I’ve enjoyed owning the 4xv the 4c8s a better bike. But don’t tell the wife!
By the way Andy the 4c8 is the oldest r1 that a flash works on properly. And no a power commander can’t unlock the ecu restrictions.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Yep they're all good and the newer they get the better they get except the sausage that's more of a grower :lol:
I'm still biased :shhh:
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 pm Yep they're all good and the newer they get the better they get except the sausage that's more of a grower :lol:
I'm still biased :shhh:
Yes it’s all personal choice except in Jompys case he just does what Jen says :whistle:
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Andy.
You've got some time to give them all a try before deciding!!
It's true the sausage is a grower but I've been growing mine for a couple of years now and it' a beast :liar: :? Some might say it's like riding a cow compared to the new one but hey life's a rodeo and the cross-plane engine is just amazing. I've worked on making mine a bit more nimble, jacked it up a bit, changed the gearing, smoothed everything out. Awesome. More than enough for me and it comes a fair bit cheaper.
Steve R1 has had three. I rest my case. :clap:
Enjoy the shopping.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Two out of my three bangers were fantastic, I think the problem I had with my first banger was that it was one of the really early ones and Yamaha did safe some quality control issues at the outset, it was known that you either got a good one or a not so good one, they quickly rectified the issue.

I would suggest as Horus said, try a few of them, a 5vy, a 4c8 and a few bangers if you are looking at an early 09 model, later 09, 59 and 10 plates are fine, but still try a few....

jompy

Post by jompy »

or you could just use your head and get a nice carb'd comfort model :lol:
https://s26.postimg.cc/hm9a7ci2x/IMAG0523.jpg
Mines a 4xv but it now has a 5jj engine and carbs , to be honest the 5jj's carbs have a better midrange making in in my opinion the better bike to ride .
the 4xv & 5jj are more or less the same bike handling wise with 150 updates for the 5jj that are mainly electrical , body work and the addition of A.I.S ( air induction system , if i remember correctly but im not sure 😂 )
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Can't believe no one has said this yet, but it's hard to go past a decent 5pw as a first R1. Might well be all the bike you'll ever need.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Moise wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:17 am Can't believe no one has said this yet, but it's hard to go past a decent 5pw as a first R1. Might well be all the bike you'll ever need.
Fair point but 4to5k gets you the underseat look and it’s a cracker. 5pw still a minter though.
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 am or you could just use your head and get a nice carb'd comfort model :lol:
https://s26.postimg.cc/hm9a7ci2x/IMAG0523.jpg
Mines a 4xv but it now has a 5jj engine and carbs , to be honest the 5jj's carbs have a better midrange making in in my opinion the better bike to ride .
the 4xv & 5jj are more or less the same bike handling wise with 150 updates for the 5jj that are mainly electrical , body work and the addition of A.I.S ( air induction system , if i remember correctly but im not sure 😂 )
Stumpy it’s only half a bike!!! Careful Andy he’s trying to drag you to the “dark side”.