Newbie, what to buy.

New to the forum? Then say hello here
dog78
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Aprilia Factory

Newbie, what to buy.

Post by dog78 »

Hi everyone,I have just joined the forum and am looking for advice.
I want to buy a newish R1, I want to use it on track and on the road too but more with a track bias.
I don't want to spend more than 13 to 14k, and I don't know what would suit better. I have seen some track bikes with loads of kit on them but some don't have the original road gear with them and some do, I also see a 2018 R1, or pay a little more and get an older R1M.
I have a heavily modified Aprilia rsv factory 2005 that I will be taking down and it will be fitted with big Bore kit and other work bringing it up 1127 cc, so that could take a long time and I want a more modern bike and something that I can ride in the meantime also to keep and enjoy. I don't really want to go modding again with this one maybe exhaust and brakes. It can cost so much money which you will never get back.
The R1 appeals to me, is there any weakness in the engine that I should look for, also is the 18 free from any previous problems they may have had.
I live in Winchester, and I see there's some members close by and I hope I can meet up with those in the spring.
All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Richard.
My existing bike, too many man hours but it's out of choice, I think the two bike would compliment each other Image ImageImage

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Newbie, what to buy.

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Richard
From what I've read id go for the 2cr but I've only ridden 4xv's & 5jj's .
The lads will be along to give you advice soon .
dog78
Been here too long

Post by dog78 »

Thanks for the warm welcome Jumpy, I look forward to learning about these bikes.
jompy wrote:Welcome in Richard

jompy

Post by jompy »

dog78 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm Thanks for the warm welcome Jumpy, I look forward to learning about these bikes.
jompy wrote:Welcome in Richard
Mate theres so much to learn and each model is so different . . . . . .
4C8 needs to be re-map and then it unleashes the animal , i bike that loves to be ridden hard ! ask Danf1 and PJC , SteveR1 also loved his and put lots of miles on it . Aftermarket parts and be expensive .
14b is like marmite , you either love it or hate it , as standard it has a very snatchy throttle but a re-map soon sorts that out although they dont make big power gains but ,make a really good track bike the suspension needs a lot of work . One jurno that test rode one back in the day said he hated the 14b and just couldn't get on with it , he stopped for a cuppa and when he got back on it he completely changed his normal riding style and said it made a hell of a difference .
The new R1 is meant to have a chassis thats light and nimble as a 600 but with the stonking power of a litre bike !

So come on then ! what dog you got ?
dog78
Been here too long

Post by dog78 »

I am leaning towards a 2018 R1, either that or track bike 2015 onwards. Is there a crank problem with the 2015 and 2016 model. I went to Donington on an Aprilia trackday and there were some of them last gen R1 there and I was shocked the speed and acceleration out of the corners. There were all sorts of bikes there, but them R1 definitely caught my attention.
I want something reliable and modern. Although I love my Aprilia factory twin, I would not get a V4 Aprilia as they drop valves and have been since its incarnation. I understand that the brakes aren't the best on these R1 and I am only saying that from what I heard. I use Ductile iron Braketechs with M4s and an Accasato master on my Aprilia.
So would the brakes need changing for track? I have seen a 2018 model with a full titanium Akrapovic system, 1600 miles for £13900, I was hoping to get it for 13 k. Is that a good price.
Also what mods if any would members recommend for track.

jompy

Post by jompy »

I'm most definately not the right person to ask about track mods :lol:
but there are plenty of guys on here who are well versed what you'll need .
As for the cranks i have heard of problems but mainly seems to come from the yanks , your best bet is to head over to the 2CR section have a nose around and make a post as theres lots of knowledge :handgestures-thumbupright:
Exuptoy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2018 MT10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Exuptoy »

Sorry fella;la, I've only had 4XV and 5JJ R1's..... BUT, I now own a 2018 MT10 and although its feck all like a sports bike (it's not to be sniffed at though) it does have the CP4 cross plane engine and I had to say I am blown away by it, and the 18 bike has had the mode 1, full power mode throttle smoothed out unlike the 16 bike which I assume Yamaha may have done with the R1 but as I don't own either of the latest R1's I can't comment.
Chaos.....panic......destruction.......my work here is done!
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum, I’ve had all the R1’s from 5vy to the M .

All good bikes, have good points and not so good points,like jimmy said the bangers are like marmite... you either like them or loath them. I had three, first one I hated them number two and three were superb.

The latest incarnation of the R1 is a big improvement on the banger, size and weight of a 600, and as flickable too not with the ballistic power of a litre bike, it really is IMHO a great package.

New bike or older M ... I have the M and love it, but if it were the choice if a new standard R1 or an older M I would go for the newer bike, both are amazing , have the same electronic gadgets (apart from the suspension on the M) and both are beautiful to ride.

Not taken mine on track for fear of dropping it , which I did to my anniversary banger at oulton park. I can confirm again IMHO that she is a great road bike, however, not everyone shares my view in that regard .

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

All good bikes, have good points and not so good points,like jimmy said the bangers are like marmite... you either like them or loath them. I had three, first one I hated them number two and three were superb.

The latest incarnation of the R1 is a big improvement on the banger, size and weight of a 600, and as flickable too not with the ballistic power of a litre bike, it really is IMHO a great package.

New bike or older M ... I have the M and love it, but if it were the choice if a new standard R1 or an older M I would go for the newer bike, both are amazing , have the same electronic gadgets (apart from the suspension on the M) and both are beautiful to ride.

Not taken mine on track for fear of dropping it , which I did to my anniversary banger at oulton park. I can confirm again IMHO that she is a great road bike, however, not everyone shares my view in that regard .

Welcome

Stephen

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome

Stephen

dog78
Been here too long

Post by dog78 »

Thanks Steve, I think you have convinced me and I am going to get a 2018 R1. I have just met a lad who has got a race bike a late R1and he's just changed from having Aprilias, he's got two one race and one that road. He said the same as you that the R1M is better for the road and for track I would be better of with a R1 standard. One question if I may, the new R1 has RBW throttle can you still put a quick action on it?
The bangers may suit me as I like my twins so the way that engine makes its power torque wise might be a pleasant surprise. The R1M still fetch good money and I will have at least some warranty with a 18 model, plus it has up and down blipper and a better traction control with a less aggressive wheelie management or lift as they call it. I will modify the brakes with some Brembo GP4s, 330mm discs and A rcs or an Accasato master. I think there's enough power for me , so the engine I might just get it mapped and an exhaust, the one I am looking at has got a full Titanium Akrapovic system.
Tbh it's only on track that you can use that power safely and I look forward to trying it there.
The only dilemma I have got now as I have ruled out the R1M, is do I buy a race or track bike with everything on it and maybe get a daytime mot on it. I will have my 1127 Aprilia rsv which will be breaking 155 at the back wheel which will be plenty for the road.
I see a R1 with Dymag wheels a Yec loom, full Werks exhaust, GP4 calipers, Ohlins TTX gp shock and Ohlins forks with 3000 miles 2016. It would save me a lot of money on mods.
It's going to be tough decision, I may just settle for the 2018 get to know it on the road and a few trackdays and if I like it I can sell it and get a race, it also gives me a nice road bike while I am building the big Bore Aprilia.
What is the R1 like with a pillion? I was going to the Pyrenees next year with my girlfriend, we were going to do about 70 miles a day. I will be glad when she passes he test

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Steve R1 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 am Welcome to the forum, I’ve had all the R1’s from 5vy to the M .

Welcome

Stephen Image

Wow think that’s a record Steve a TRIPLE post 😂😂😂
R15UTT
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: yamaha R1.98 +09

Post by R15UTT »

dog78 . Robinsons of Rochdale have a 2018 Reg18 ex-demo bike , 13 miles only, priced @ £14,495
andycktm
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: yamaha R1

Post by andycktm »

Winchester, ain't that Arthur Daley and Terry hang out,and Daves the owner?
dog78
Been here too long

Post by dog78 »

Image, yes it's a doggy place is Winchester. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. There's load on the forum and lots to learn. Yes I did see that one with 13 miles on it, but i see another one for £13999 with a full Akrapovic exhaust with 1600 miles on it.
I think I will buy an 2018 road bike and if I like it I could always sell it and buy a fully kitted out track bike. I don't think I am going to be disappointed Image They sound amazing bikes.
I just spoke to someone who has a ex BSB bike and a road bike too, and he couldn't praise it enough.
He had an Aprilia rsv4 Rf but he says that the R1 was definitely better for track and not a money pit like the Aprilia. So R1 it is for me. Great forum too, most of the answers I wanted were in the previous posts. Can't wait for next spring.
Thanks again, Richard.
andycktm wrote:Winchester, ain't that Arthur Daley and Terry hang out,and Daves the owner?

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Have a look at the October issue of PB. The R1M was nearly as quick as the V4 Panigale around Donnington, and they thought that could be made up by unlinking the brakes.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 am Welcome to the forum, I’ve had all the R1’s from 5vy to the M .

Welcome

Stephen Image

Wow think that’s a record Steve a TRIPLE post ImageImageImage
Churchill always said that you have to make your point three times for your audience to get it....

I’m no Churchill... how it posted three times is really beyond me.... do you think I will get into Guinness world records with that Image

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:

Welcome

Stephen Image

Churchill always said that you have to make your point three times for your audience to get it....

I’m no Churchill... how it posted three times is really beyond me.... do you think I will get into Guinness world records with that Image

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:

Welcome

Stephen Image

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I don’t believe it... three posts again Image

I just posted reply.... it took ages to post... I didn’t press anything else...

This came up

Jompy.... what’s going on.... I’ve just changed my phone.... could that be it Image

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I don’t believe it... three posts again Image

I just posted reply.... it took ages to post... I didn’t press anything else...

This came up

Jompy.... what’s going on.... I’ve just changed my phone.... could that be it Image

Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Things are improving Steve, only two posts the same this time! :D :lol:
Live life in the fastish lane
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

its probably an iphone thing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

R1Clarky wrote:its probably an iphone thing Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Was wondering that mate.... but it’s not a blue one Image

Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: No wonder you convinced him Stephen!!

Hi Mate and welcome in. Nothing dodgy about Winchester. I'm up the Full Flood end of town after living in the centre for a while. Not a bad old place to be.
Great pic. I'm just getting started on the TD's. Did Donny last year and a couple of Cadwell's this year on me banger. I'm definitely in the loving camp but don't no any different. More than enough for an old fart like me.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully see you around at some point. 👍🏿
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.