New to the forum? Then say hello here
Scara
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5vy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello from North Wales !

Post by Scara »

Had my 2005 R1 a few years now and love it to bits. Even sold my Aprilia RSV4 Factory to keep the R1, totally different animals but I wanted reliability so was bye bye Aprilia lol. A quick question, does anyone have a parts catalogue for a 2005 R1 as I'm after an upper fairing fastener (its a hex head dzus type) Yamaha want £10+ for just one !! Any info would be much appreciated.

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Re: Hello from North Wales !

Post by polar »

Hi and welcome to the forum Scara.

I had a 2004 R1 and loved the bike, the build quality was tops and it went like stink with a decent exhaust system on it + fueling sorted.

Just out of interest what did you have go wrong with the RSV4, someone told me they drink oil but other than that i know very little about their reliability.

Fowlers, CMS, Partzilla, Wemoto do parts lists

But for dzus fasteners i would try ebay?
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Simon
Hope you enjoy the forum
easiest place is to use fowlers parts list
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/ ... metallic-k
Scara
Lurker

Post by Scara »

polar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am Hi and welcome to the forum Scara.

I had a 2004 R1 and loved the bike, the build quality was tops and it went like stink with a decent exhaust system on it + fueling sorted.

Just out of interest what did you have go wrong with the RSV4, someone told me they drink oil but other than that i know very little about their reliability.

Thanks polar, first was a noisy cam chain tensioner which took 4 months to get sorted due to lack of parts with the dealers, but a few months after having it replaced it was just as noisy as it was in the beginning. Then it had a rocker cover oil leak which was very common and a new improved gasket sorted that out. A dodgy throttle position sensor followed and finally a loose connection on the upper fuel rail causing it to misfire from 7K rpm. To be fair the loose fuel rail connector was the fault of the garage who serviced it and noisy tensioner is the norm lol. It was the best looking and handling bike I've ever had, and the sound with a Austin racing can and Race ECU fitted was amazing, so much so I'm seriously looking at getting a Aprilia Tuono Factory 1100. The faults were minor and soon forgotten when the suns shining and I wheeled it out of the garage ha ha.

My 2005 R1 is fab just has a pair of Arrow cans and is plenty quick enough, thinking of refurbishing the suspension and getting an ECU flash to match the cans.

newsh has come up trumps with a spare fastener, a true gent but thanks for the link buddy.
Scara
Lurker

Post by Scara »

jompy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm Welcome in Simon
Hope you enjoy the forum
easiest place is to use fowlers parts list
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/ ... metallic-k
Hi jompy and thank you, forum seems great with plenty of good info and advice. Ahh right will look at the fowlers link .
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal - get stuck in & enjoy the forum :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Scara wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 am
polar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am Hi and welcome to the forum Scara.

Thanks polar, first was a noisy cam chain tensioner which took 4 months to get sorted due to lack of parts with the dealers, but a few months after having it replaced it was just as noisy as it was in the beginning. Then it had a rocker cover oil leak which was very common and a new improved gasket sorted that out. A dodgy throttle position sensor followed and finally a loose connection on the upper fuel rail causing it to misfire from 7K rpm. To be fair the loose fuel rail connector was the fault of the garage who serviced it and noisy tensioner is the norm lol. It was the best looking and handling bike I've ever had, and the sound with a Austin racing can and Race ECU fitted was amazing, so much so I'm seriously looking at getting a Aprilia Tuono Factory 1100. The faults were minor and soon forgotten when the suns shining and I wheeled it out of the garage ha ha.

My 2005 R1 is fab just has a pair of Arrow cans and is plenty quick enough, thinking of refurbishing the suspension and getting an ECU flash to match the cans.

newsh has come up trumps with a spare fastener, a true gent but thanks for the link buddy.
Wow thats quite a few problems - the cam chain tensioner problem is a bit worrying - however all bikes with cam chains can have problems with the tensioners or manual tensioners would no sell would they :think:

The Tuono V4 looks an amazing bit of kit - i would like one myself ;)

Generally you have to say the jap stuff is very reliable and ive been Yamaha though and though for a while now. With the occasional v4 Honda but dont tell my Yamahas that :lol: :lol:
Scara
Lurker

Post by Scara »

You're so right, you really can't beat the jap bikes for reliability. It's just the look of the Italian bikes, you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself lol 😜. Ahh is that the VFR800 you have? They look so solid that they'll go on for ever.
I think the reason with the cam chain tensioner was to do with it sitting on its side stand and being started up, and not getting good oil flow, so I was told. But that V4 wail was unbelievable, just don't understand why my neighbours didn't feel the same way ... 😂😂
Scara
Lurker

Post by Scara »

R1Clarky wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:52 am welcome in pal - get stuck in & enjoy the forum :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Cheers Clarky, I certainly will buddy 😁👍
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Scara wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:21 pm You're so right, you really can't beat the jap bikes for reliability. It's just the look of the Italian bikes, you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself lol 😜. Ahh is that the VFR800 you have? They look so solid that they'll go on for ever.
I think the reason with the cam chain tensioner was to do with it sitting on its side stand and being started up, and not getting good oil flow, so I was told. But that V4 wail was unbelievable, just don't understand why my neighbours didn't feel the same way ... 😂😂
Yea ive had a couple of VFR's brilliant bikes, great to thrash stupid and never had any trouble with them. Drop the forks though by 10mm and they will steer much better. I also had a NC30 but i really wanted was an RC30 but i have as much chance of owning one of those as a R7 :lol:
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

polar wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am
Scara wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:21 pm You're so right, you really can't beat the jap bikes for reliability. It's just the look of the Italian bikes, you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself lol 😜. Ahh is that the VFR800 you have? They look so solid that they'll go on for ever.
Yea ive had a couple of VFR's brilliant bikes, great to thrash stupid and never had any trouble with them. Drop the forks though by 10mm and they will steer much better. I also had a NC30 but i really wanted was an RC30 but i have as much chance of owning one of those as a R7 :lol:
Always fancied a Vfr but always seem to end up with CBR1000f’s when I start looking for a vfr750 didn’t like the revamped vfr800 Battlestar galactica rear end. The motor seems to go on forevvvvvvvvver
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in North Wales !
Enjoy the forum mate.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Danf1 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm
polar wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 am
Always fancied a Vfr but always seem to end up with CBR1000f’s when I start looking for a vfr750 didn’t like the revamped vfr800 Battlestar galactica rear end. The motor seems to go on forevvvvvvvvver

The vTec is the best one to be honest Julian and there are some right bargains about because they get bad press for having a snatch @ 5.5k rpm when the vtec kicks in, ive never understood what they are talking about and never felt a kick - maybe ive dialed it out with my wrist? Styling is not to everyones taste but they are fun to ride. Maintenance is another one people get scare of because of the valve clearances but they never need doing in reality. A decent do anything bike for 3k+