New to the forum? Then say hello here
laney1981
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: yamaha R1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cardiff R1 n00b here

Post by laney1981 »

Evening boys and girls, took delivery of my bike today so thought I'd introduce myself on here :)

Chris, 30odd from sunny Cardiff. Im brand new to R1's (and Yamaha) and reasonably new to (riding) motorcycles (2 years)

About 3 years back, working from home at the time, bored shitless, I decided I needed some kind of project. I decided to build a bike from the ground up, cafe racer style. At this point I'd never even ridden a bike or had a licence to do so. After searching for some inspiration and looking for something that hadn't been done to death I decided on s build based around an SV650, the first gen, or "Curvy". Anyway, to cut a long story short(ish), 10 month and around 7 grand later, my build is complete, and I have my licence. A couple of short months later, I'm bored with the predictable power delivery of the SV, and hankering for the scream of an inline 4.

I sell the SV at a massive loss, and buy an honest K1 Gixxer 7fiddy. After a year or so, and many thousands of pounds later. My now pristine Gixxer has to be broken and sold due to circumstance unforseen and I'm bikeless for a few months :(

In the meantime the buyer of the SV messages me and tell me fast bikes are putting it in the centre of their mag! And he gave me full credit for the build. Prob one of my proudest achievements to date.

Anyway, finances improved and after a couple of weeks of searching, and haggling, I took delivery of my new toy. An 04 5VY with a measly 8k on the odo, full dealer history, and in utterly pristine, almost factory fresh condition. She's got a few nice bits, Pro-Race R3 Ti cans, Nitron shock, heated grips, billet levers, gear indicator, tail tidy, spy alarm,and the fairings were clear wrapped from new, (not a stone chip in sight).

Needless to say I'm over the moon with her, not ridden her yet due to the Welsh weather, but looking forward to my first crack on a litre bike.

Apologies for the long winded introduction, ride safe all.

Chris

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Re: Cardiff R1 n00b here

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal - the new aar1 looks lovely:-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Welcome mate, great bike i had one just like it - the shocker and pipes are a bonus.
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

Very nice, love a 5VY
Old enough to know better.
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv