Hello All

New to the forum? Then say hello here
bettyswolloks
Bike Make & Model: Xjr 1300
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello All

Post by bettyswolloks »

Hello there, I'm currently an XJR1300 owner, but I'm contemplating getting myself this R1, I'm told its 2002, that's what year plate it's on anyway. The old guy who has it isnt sure exactly what model is is. Can anyone here identify the bike for me before I travel 200mls to go and see it.

Cheers,
Daz.Image

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Re: Hello All

Post by Moise »

It's not an 02 model, it's a 5jj.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Welcome aboard Dave, it must be a late registered 2000-2001 5JJ.
Live life in the fastish lane
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Welcome to the forum Dave, as the lads said 5jj which is the next model after the 4xv (the original R1). The 5jj has some updates on the 4xv and some say the best of the mk1s. It's in the best colour too

I like the XJR nice muscle bike that , I have the FJR and that can move and turn for a touring bike.

Don't rely on eBay prices or the media, they are not fetching the stupid money some people suggest. Dealer prices are madness currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Dave
As said it's a 00-01 5jj , improved midrange over the original 4xv 98-99
have a look through here to see what to look out for like 2nd gear problems , make sure it doesn't pop out of 2nd under acceleration or isn't overly clunky , also check it starts ok when warm/ hot
bettyswolloks

Post by bettyswolloks »

Thanx everyone, that's really confirmed what I suspected. It's only done 17k over 3 owners, the last one has only done a few hundred miles since owning it, he found it to hard in his back so he's looking for something smaller and lighter.
I'm gunna have a good look round here before I head down to see it.
Thanx again lads.

Daz.

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in daz - ive had my 02 reg for around 7 yrs now & can't imagine life without her Image
they're very addictive & that one looks to be a decent example in the best colour ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
bettyswolloks

Post by bettyswolloks »

R1Clarky wrote:welcome in daz - ive had my 02 reg for around 7 yrs now & can't imagine life without her Image
they're very addictive & that one looks to be a decent example in the best colour ImageImage

Cheers Clarky,
How is it on the wrists/shoulders/back? If I do end up getting it I'll be doing a little commute to work. How many miles can you get done before you have to get off and stretch?

Daz.

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

bettyswolloks wrote:
R1Clarky wrote:welcome in daz - ive had my 02 reg for around 7 yrs now & can't imagine life without her Image

Cheers Clarky,
How is it on the wrists/shoulders/back? If I do end up getting it I'll be doing a little commute to work. How many miles can you get done before you have to get off and stretch?

Daz.

If your in good health and are used to sports bikes there will be no surprises. I had not ridden a sports bike in 6 Years +? Plus my health is a train wreck. I tried to put up with my 4xv but I couldn't so she had to go. Bad day. Just be honest with yourself, if you're going to ride fast in the twisties you will love it.

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

the last long-ish ride i did on her was a couple o years ago with jompy from derby to cadwell park & no real probs other than occasionally shaking my throttle hand to get some blood flow round it(probably from gripping too tight- so more me than the bike anyway) my daily commute when ive not been conned into dropping my lad off at college in the jaaag is around 15ish miles- great therapy after a sh!t day at work

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

bettyswolloks wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 am

Cheers Clarky,

Daz.

Best of both worlds :dance:
Now for a barracking off the lads :lol:
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

The standard clipons are good when you're having fun in the corners but are hard on your wrists in traffic. You can replace them with flatter ones that have less drop such as Helibars.

If you want to go higher, then there are adjustable bar risers such as Variobars from Gilles.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum. I can’t speak for the 5jj but I commuted daily on various R1’s in all weather for over 10 years . I could leave work (Preston) on a Friday, head to my parents in Cornwall (370 miles) and go surfing when I got there.

I could also do a 220 mile run to London, 5 hour meeting and 220 miles home in the same day.

So I guess my body did get used to them yes I did ache, I did stop for fuel but that was about it ...

Good luck in your hunt for your R1

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Rednine
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: S1000rr Sport

Post by Rednine »

Hi daz, I am God’s father and the weekend before last and covered just under 500 miles on my ‘99 4XV, to and from Oulton Park from my home in the New Forest with only minimum stops for fuel. No discomforts or aches, so go for it. 👍
You don't stop riding bikes because you're old -you get old because you stop riding bikes.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Rednine wrote:Hi daz, I am God’s father and the weekend before last and covered just under 500 miles on my ‘99 4XV, to and from Oulton Park from my home in the New Forest with only minimum stops for fuel. No discomforts or aches, so go for it. Image
Nice one Neil, maybe us more mature riders have the stamina... and long may it continue Image

Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in mate.
Give it a good bit of time if you've not done sportsbike before you start making adjustments. My wrists and shoulders hurt like hell until i got used to the riding style. Hang on with your core and bettyswollocks and not your hands. ;) doesnt hurt to drop or raise the leavers to most comfy place tho.
Enjoy the forum and new bike.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.