New to the forum? Then say hello here
Dixie
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: R1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lurker / Newbie ?

Post by Dixie »

Hi been a member for ages and thought I'd introduced myself and posted a couple of times before. Just saw an opportunity to contribute to the Quick Action Throttle thread but it seems I'd not posted previously as I was prevented from submitting my reply. I've learned a lot from this forum since I bought my 4XV and converted it for track use and generally don't have much techie knowledge / experience to add. Love the bike , based near Bridgwater in Somerset strive to do half dozen trackways or more if i can each year.

Thanks to all the regular contributors for all the good stuff that appears. I'll try to post the following reply in the right thread assuming this post enables that. Cheers Keith

I have a non branded ebay find fitted to my 4XV track bike. It definitely helps in getting to full throttle as you would expect, My bike is standard from an air box, carb and engine perspective, still has the exup working with an Akro end can. I generally clean and balance carbs over winter pre-season and personally don't have any issues with initial throttle pick up or the like. I could measure the angle / range of throttle turn if it helps but for me the QAT is an improvement. Cheers Keith.

PS to all who post regularly thanks from a Lurker who has gained a lot from your inputs!

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Lurker / Newbie ?

Post by jompy »

Dixie wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:10 am Hi been a member for ages and thought I'd introduced myself and posted a couple of times before. Just saw an opportunity to contribute to the Quick Action Throttle thread but it seems I'd not posted previously as I was prevented from submitting my reply. I've learned a lot from this forum since I bought my 4XV and converted it for track use and generally don't have much techie knowledge / experience to add. Love the bike , based near Bridgwater in Somerset strive to do half dozen trackways or more if i can each year.

Thanks to all the regular contributors for all the good stuff that appears. I'll try to post the following reply in the right thread assuming this post enables that. Cheers Keith

I have a non branded ebay find fitted to my 4XV track bike. It definitely helps in getting to full throttle as you would expect, My bike is standard from an air box, carb and engine perspective, still has the exup working with an Akro end can. I generally clean and balance carbs over winter pre-season and personally don't have any issues with initial throttle pick up or the like. I could measure the angle / range of throttle turn if it helps but for me the QAT is an improvement. Cheers Keith.

PS to all who post regularly thanks from a Lurker who has gained a lot from your inputs!
Welcome to posting Kieth
And thanks for you're input , it's great to know that theres people in the background gaining knowledge from the forum 👍
We realise that some people don't like joining in on forums and i've been on a number of forums where it's very clicky and newbies either get ignored or put down by the regulars . We like to think that we're different and hope that by nature that this is a friendly welcoming forum :pray:
If you feel like it and theres no pressure would you like to post up a little about you and your biking history and maybe a couple of pics so we can get to know you , you must aready know how nosey we are :lol:
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum and we look forward to your contributions. I’m glad you have found the technical information on here helpful.

I can’t take any credit for that, I’m about as technical as a squirrel ....don’t know where that came from, I was going to say “about as technical as a monkey” but to be fair to Jompy, he does know his stuff

As the monkey says, we don’t have clicks on here, and that’s what I love about this forum, indeed we are more like a community than a forum, with help, advice and support readily available in abundance.

I used to do a fair bit of track riding in the past but not now, I have my own reasons for that, but I do miss it. What tracks have you ridden?

My list...
Silverstone
Donington
Darley moor
Oulton Park ( my favourite and local track)
Seven Sisters

So welcome to our family and thank you for no longer lurking

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Dixie
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: R1

Post by Dixie »

Gents.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. Perhaps now that I've broken my duck I'll get a few more posts in. Generally others have already covered what I might know or think so I've tended to not post.
I have stuck around because of the forums vibe which I like a lot.

My biking history starts in 1981 on a restricted FS1E, passed my test on a Z250, rebuilt a basket case GS550E when I was 18 or 19 flogged that for a mates GS1000E had that until kids came along, spent some long years in the biking wilderness lusting after bikes all summer....until got it back together with a 600 Fazer, fairly quickly got the bug and bought a CBF1000, started touring, bought a 1200 Tiger Explorer in 2012, still have it , love it and the holiday tour we've done for the last 10 years.

The R1 came along in 2014 - again from a mate, it was tidy, I replaced all the road plastics, tank and unnecessary stuff, it's not quite so pretty now having suffered from my track learning curve, which started at Castle Combe on a ride safe day on the TEX. Since then I've ridden at Pembrey, Angelsey, Oulton, Cadwell, Brands, Silverstone and Donny love em all.

Cheers Keith.

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Evening Keith your middle picture reminds me of the day I got my elbow down in pembray many years ago followed closely by my shoulder and arse as you say it’s a learning curve. As jompy says this is a great forum I’m a member on several others but don’t tend to comment very much for fear of all the BS that comes hurtling back. You’ll find this place is more light hearted and informative a great bunch of lads. Oh and admins ok as well😉
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Julian, I think we have all gone a cropper on track at some point, I did manage to get both knees down at the same time the thing is every time I’ve parted company with the bike I’ve got that sick feeling... “Ive lost it” followed, generally as I’m sliding “how much is this going to cost” ... but that’s probably the accountant in me ...

Keith.. nice list of tracks you have ridden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi Keith and thanks for finally showing yourself, you got to have the award of being the longest lurker :lol: :lol:

Everything has been said by Steve, Julian (danf1) and John (jompy) our lord and moderator :teasing-tease: :lol: no he's a :angelic-little: really

Like Julian im a member of other forums but dont say anything on them cos of BS - you dont get that here just a bunch of guys that get on like they have known each other all of their lives.

Love you track list and fair play for putting the shoulder down shot up there :clap:

Now you have posted a couple of times i hope to see more from you mate.