New to the forum? Then say hello here
Jon765
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Triumph street tripl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie to the forum

Post by Jon765 »

Hi everyone. Obviously new to the forum and have lots of questions for you as I aim to buy my 3rd R1 after 7 years off. I currently ride a Triumph street triple RS and had 2 speed triples since my last R1. Will explain more in the general section. :)

Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Re: Newbie to the forum

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Jon, tell us about the R1’s you have had in the past, indeed all the bikes you have had, whilst this is a Yamaha forum we are not exclusively interested in R1’s, bikes are bikes, even hondas are allowed on here... lol..

This forum is more like a community and everyone is there to give help, advice and support when needed.

Any questions just ask

So what R1 are you about to purchase

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Jon765
Lurker

Post by Jon765 »

Thanks Steve R1. I have had a 1999 R1 and a 2000 R1. Also had a couple of CBR 600's :o, a ZX9R, a GSXR1000 k3 and the 3 Triumphs I mentioned. The last 3 bikes have been brand new on PCP deals. As nice as it is to have a new bike every 3 years I don't ride enough now days to make it worth while. I used to do a summer tour each summer with mates. Alps twice, Pyrenees and the Black Forest. I have coached kids football for the past 5 years which is Saturday and Sunday mornings which is when I rode most often. So now I am looking to buy a long term R1. Ideally an original 4XV to gradually take back to standard and make as mint as possible. I may have missed the boat looking at the prices of bikes for sale. I am also tempted by the silver 2002 R1. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Do you learned people think the latter bike would ever become collectable?
Any opinions and advice welcome guys.
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum - more of a community really and certainly not your average forum.

Dont believe the prices you see for 4xvs on ebay and alike, they are well overpriced and ive seen some of them for sale for over 3 years now just after a sucker. I just part exed my mint 99 4xv in blue with 18k on the clock and got £3500 for it which is more the realistic price, i may have got 4k privately but waiting to find the right buyer with the cash and all the hassle i thought £3500 was good. If you are looking at a red and white 98 plate 4xv they are going for stupid money, but keep an eye on them and see how many sell especially privately. Private sales are very slow at the moment and have been for a while now.

Personally if you are going to ride it the 2002 is supposed to be the better bike and they are a more sensible price. You may also get a 2004 at the right money and i owned one of those and they are brilliant bikes, my 04 was defo faster than my 4xv and easier to ride.
Jon765
Lurker

Post by Jon765 »

Thanks for the advice polar. I will definitely be riding the bike I buy. Some cosmetic damage doesn't worry me to much as I am going to keep this one so can make good over time.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

The trouble with "original" 4xv's is they aren't a great bike as standard unless you like handling issues and poor carburation. Then there's the wiring...

My bike had a few mods when I bought it, although mainly cosmetic - integrated tail light, flush indicators, etc. Fortunately, it also came with a big box with nearly all of the original parts. About all that was missing was an uncut rear mudguard and the original reflector, which I haven't bothered about because I prefer how it looks without the mudguard.

I've made a few changes to the rear suspension, rejetted the carbs to 5jj specs, and made some changes to the wiring including a MOSFET reg/rec. It's a much better bike today, although the forks need more than just fresh oil!

I really do like it now, but it would probably be easier to start with a 5pw. :) Although I doubt I'd get nearly as much interest in the bike when I'm out.

Last edited by Moise on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Personally I’d go for the 5pw. Currently a sensible price and a bit more refined. Although if 4K is in your budget a clean low mileage 5vy is easily accessible.
nigelrb
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Hondas

Post by nigelrb »

Hiya Jon and welcome.

Can't give you any R1 info, but will pass on that I'll soon be sharing your Triumph love with the Daytona 765 Moto 2 when it arrives in March. ;)
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Jon, I’ve had a few CBR 600’s too... indeed before I moved into the Yamaha fold I was Honda through and through... but it came time to hang up my pipe and slippers and I moved to Yamaha...

The silver 2002 R1’s IMHO look amazing, I think they have the best rear end of any bike... the rear light reminds me of the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica

Jon765
Lurker

Post by Jon765 »

nigelrb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 am Hiya Jon and welcome.

Can't give you any R1 info, but will pass on that I'll soon be sharing your Triumph love with the Daytona 765 Moto 2 when it arrives in March. ;)
I have to say the triumph 765 engine is a peach and with the quickshifter sounds awesome. I will miss it but want the grunt and howl back of the R1 :D
Rednine
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: S1000rr Sport

Post by Rednine »

Another welcome from me Jon, unlike many of the lads on the forum, I've only owned two R1's, both 4XV's - a '98 and a '99. I should definitely never have sold my first one as it only had 8000 miles and was totally original as is my current one. Handling wise I have had the rear shocker rebuilt however it is from a 5JJ and superior to the original 4XV and the forks have been rebuilt for my weight etc so, I find the handling totally fine for road riding. Finally, I have picked up many useful tips and much advice from this forum, so, fill your boots. :lol:
You don't stop riding bikes because you're old -you get old because you stop riding bikes.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Jon765 wrote: I have to say the triumph 765 engine is a peach and with the quickshifter sounds awesome. I will miss it but want the grunt and howl back of the R1 :D
That I can understand. :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Danf1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 pm Personally I’d go for the 5pw. Currently a sensible price and a bit more refined. Although if 4K is in your budget a clean low mileage 5vy is easily accessible.
As a side note Jon if your looking for grunt then I think the early R1 up to 5pw make a better road bike than the later 5vy and 4c8. They have more useable mid range in standard trim. My 4c8 is now a banshee but it’s cost a fair bit to unlock it’s potential (decat cans and a flash etc) and needs reving more than the older bikes.
Jon765
Lurker

Post by Jon765 »

Really appreciate all the welcomes and advice. I have already changed y mind 3 times on the bike I want now :roll: :lol:
I think I will enjoy this forum. :clap: Thank you
YAM4C
Bike Make & Model: 2017 Yamaha R1 M

Post by YAM4C »

Hi there, new to this site and would appreciate any feedback or comments, I bought a new R1M from a main Yamaha dealer and within the 1st month of ownership when out on a ride the bike lost all power, no electrics just died on me as if you had turned the key off, dealer came out took it away and returned it 2 days later saying a wire had come loose, a few weeks later knee down on the roundabout and it happened again complete shut down, no electrics give me a right scare lot a weight to hold with no power, back to the dealer again and after 30 days I got told the fault was due to the electronic fuel pump and they tried to charge me for it, even though the bike was under warranty and only 3 months old, anyone had anything similar ?? Cheers
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

YAM4C wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 pm Hi there, new to this site and would appreciate any feedback or comments, I bought a new R1M from a main Yamaha dealer and within the 1st month of ownership when out on a ride the bike lost all power, no electrics just died on me as if you had turned the key off, dealer came out took it away and returned it 2 days later saying a wire had come loose, a few weeks later knee down on the roundabout and it happened again complete shut down, no electrics give me a right scare lot a weight to hold with no power, back to the dealer again and after 30 days I got told the fault was due to the electronic fuel pump and they tried to charge me for it, even though the bike was under warranty and only 3 months old, anyone had anything similar ?? Cheers
Welcome newbie you might get more answers if you post this in the R1 M specific section click on board index if you scroll down to the R1s and click on your specific year. Plenty of lads own your very nice model.
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Jon.
No idea if and when things will become collectible. Id just be going for the stock model that attracts the most and making it my own. They’re all gorgeous but it was the under seat exhausts when they first came out that had me sold. So I’d be another one looking at 5VY’s if the budget stretched.
Enjoy whatever you get mate.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Newbie to the forum

Post by Steve R1 »

YAM4C wrote:Hi there, new to this site and would appreciate any feedback or comments, I bought a new R1M from a main Yamaha dealer and within the 1st month of ownership when out on a ride the bike lost all power, no electrics just died on me as if you had turned the key off, dealer came out took it away and returned it 2 days later saying a wire had come loose, a few weeks later knee down on the roundabout and it happened again complete shut down, no electrics give me a right scare lot a weight to hold with no power, back to the dealer again and after 30 days I got told the fault was due to the electronic fuel pump and they tried to charge me for it, even though the bike was under warranty and only 3 months old, anyone had anything similar ?? Cheers

Tom, welcome to the forum.

As Julian (Danf1) says post this in the R1M specific topic area .. it’s under ...

Workshop.... R1 Specific.... R1 R1M 2015-2019

Also introduce yourself in the newbie section. Which is found under the welcome section of the forum.

I’ve never experienced any failure on my R1M, though I did have my R6 cut out as you described many years ago. That was caused by a corroded wire to the main fuse .

Regarding your second cut out, you were lucky you didn’t drop the bike, I was wondering about a faulty tilt switch? Thankfully you didn’t drop it. Regarding the dealer charging you, I would have thought it’s covered under the warranty... read the small print, it should detail what’s not included in the warranty, hopefully that will give you the ammunition you need to get your dealer to pay, let’s face it, the bike you bought isn’t exactly cheap

Good luck

Stephen

Jon... sorry fir hijacking your thread, as you get to know us, you will find out that this goes on all of the time... or they go off topic

YAM4C
Bike Make & Model: 2017 Yamaha R1 M

Post by YAM4C »

Hi guys, thanks for the reply and advice, I will add my post to the R1M section, cheers Tom.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

YAM4C wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 pm Hi guys, thanks for the reply and advice, I will add my post to the R1M section, cheers Tom.
Tom have a look around as I remember someone having the same problem a while ago .
Enjoy the forum bud 👍
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Jon
My 2 pence worth
4xv bit nuts , as with the 5jj and 5pw make sure it doesn't jump out 2nd gear and on the 4xv and 5jj the wiring can need a little work
5jj slightly refined and better midrange
5pw nice arse
5vy first of the underwear exhausts , last of the 20 valves , bad stator magnets but there is an upgraded part
I'm sure you'll love what ever you end up getting and there's plenty for you to read about on here to help you make you're mind up .
Enjoy the form bud 👍