New to the forum? Then say hello here
Snakeboots01
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 5vy r1 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5vy r1 not starting

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Hello new to the forum hope everyone is well. I have recently bought a stolen recovered 5vy r1. The locks were damaged so I changed the lock set with immobiliser and ecu. I have checked the lean sensor cam sensor, fuel pump with ignition all ok, Replaced the spark plugs checked the spark on cylinder 1, left side. All good. It turns over fine but I have the bike on the battery booster as it isnt too great. I have cleared the codes from the diag selection on the clocks all it does is; Ignition on clock sweep all ok, go to start the engine turns over but doesnt fire every now and again randomly back fires like a shotgun. Code er-4 comes up on the screen and that refers to no communication from meter (clocks) the immobiliser light doesnt flash at all key in or out. I am going to get the clocks this lock set came off I'm a little unsure then. The guy I bought the ecu and lock set and soon to be clocks from said that the ecu was flashed to accept a wiring harness not sure what that meant. Any help would be great thanks

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Re: 5vy r1 not starting

Post by polar »

Hi Jake and welcome to the forum.

I think your starting point is a decent battery then maybe buy one of those immobiliser cheats the thieves use to nick them in the first place. You can get them off ebay believe it or not for £40 - at least it would tell you if the immobiliser is playing up?

Have you tried holding the throttle wide open and cranking it a fair while because some of the symptoms you have (the backfire) suggests flooded or confused cold start.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Jake.

Sorry to hear of your trouble start your 5vy. I was going to suggest exactly the same as Mark (aka Polar) said

Hope you get it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

No I havent tried it with the throttle funny open but have tried with it half open. Doesnt do much, I have tried some easy start down the throttle body that doesnt do anything either makes me think there is no spark but I checked the spark only on one cylinder and it was great I would think that would have been enough to get it going. I have been told the immobiliser emulator doesnt do much good to the ecu suppose I could try one to start it then maybe go down the flash road. The only ones I can find apparently dont work with the white sticker ecu. mines got the white sticker ecu. Thanks for your responses I appreciate any ideas
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Another thing I did not sure if it was a good idea but after i had fitted the lock set and ecu tried tried and tried starting it with the black keys. Then tried with the red and someone told me I will have damaged the programming in the ecu using the red key. I'm not too sure what to believe with that I thought the red key was a key to copy the immobiliser programming to another key when it had been cut.
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Would it make a difference if the alarm plugs under the seat are not connected to anything? It had an alarm fitted but was all green in the fuse so guessing it hadn't been used for a while. Do these plugs need plugging into anything?
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

That last question is a good one. I would like to say that could be the problem, but the guys on here know I’m as technical as a fish... so I would respectfully suggest that other peeps are better at advising than me.

I did have an R1 that was a bugger to start, the battery needed at be in tip top condition and I had to have the throttle wound to the stop (pinned) to start it, it would splutter , bang, back fire and eventually roar into life on the third or4th attempt at starting her...

The the red key, I’m sure I’ve used that at in the past and if it did fook everything up I’d you used it... I would have thought you would not have been the first person to do this and such problems would be well aired on here

Good luck

Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Thanks for that steve r1 made me feel better I thought I had damaged something using the red key. I have had an r6 in the past and I'm sure that I have used the red key before. I have some clocks coming that the lock set came off I will fit those, get a new battery, then try the full throttle technique
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Snakeboots01 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm Would it make a difference if the alarm plugs under the seat are not connected to anything? It had an alarm fitted but was all green in the fuse so guessing it hadn't been used for a while. Do these plugs need plugging into anything?
No as the alarm is just an alarm and the standard immobiliser is retained, That is if whoever fitted the alarm used the genuine Yamaha version of that alarm type, as you said it plugged straight into harness i suspect this is a genuine Yamaha one and not a generic one.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

polar wrote:
Snakeboots01 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm Would it make a difference if the alarm plugs under the seat are not connected to anything? It had an alarm fitted but was all green in the fuse so guessing it hadn't been used for a while. Do these plugs need plugging into anything?
No as the alarm is just an alarm and the standard immobiliser is retained, That is if whoever fitted the alarm used the genuine Yamaha version of that alarm type, as you said it plugged straight into harness i suspect this is a genuine Yamaha one and not a generic one.
Mark.. would you plug those wires back together... the way I read the post it’s like when you put a PCV in the wiring harness, it sort of fits between the connectors... when you remove it you have to plug them back together.... you know me I’m not technical .. so probably wrong Image

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Steve R1 wrote:
polar wrote:
Mark.. would you plug those wires back together... the way I read the post it’s like when you put a PCV in the wiring harness, it sort of fits between the connectors... when you remove it you have to plug them back together.... you know me I’m not technical .. so probably wrong Image

Hi Steve, the way I remember them is the metta allarm came specific for Yamaha and plugged straight into the bike harness. If an allarm was not fitted those connector blocks were simply left unused under the seat. I have some on my fjr from that era and they sit unused because I have no allarm fitted. You cannot plug them into each other if you know what I mean?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

polar wrote:
Steve R1 wrote:
polar wrote:

Hi Steve, the way I remember them is the metta allarm came specific for Yamaha and plugged straight into the bike harness. If an allarm was not fitted those connector blocks were simply left unused under the seat. I have some on my fjr from that era and they sit unused because I have no allarm fitted. You cannot plug them into each other if you know what I mean?

Thanks Mark ImageImage

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

polar wrote:
Steve R1 wrote:
polar wrote:

Thanks Mark ImageImage

newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

I removed a plug in alarm on a KTM and had to add a couple of jumpers to the big connector.

On the other hand, if you have spark and fuel it should run.
Maybe there’s ethanol gunge in the fuel filter or pump and you’re not getting enough fuel through?

A good battery is a must though.

And the bike shouldn’t really need any throttle to start, sometimes it helps to just crack the throttle slightly though, if it doesn’t fire up right away.

5VYs had a recall on the TPS, make sure this has been done and that it’s adjusted correctly.
Old enough to know better.
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Thanks guys. I think I will concentrate on other parts not the alarm no wires are cut I cant find any plugs close to them to plug into.

I have a spark and have lifted the tank taken off the fuel pipe flicked the key and fuel comes out at some pressure not exact on the pressure but it squirts out. I can strip the fuel pump and check the gauze filter see if its blocked.

The er-4 on the dash is getting to me need to see what these clocks do when I get them.

Does the immobiliser kill the injectors because that would answer a lot of questions just thought I would see the red light on the dash flash. The red light does nothing at all key in or out
Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Dont know about the TPS other than doing the diag mode on the clocks and looking at the display as I throttle it, that's registering, Suppose that could just be the signal going to the TPS not the response. It does the butterfly cycle when you turn on the ignition.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome to the forum Jake
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

jompy wrote:Welcome to the forum Jake
Is that it Jompy.... no pearls of wisdom to help Jake.... you clearly haven’t had your PG this morning Image

newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

Snakeboots01 wrote:Thanks guys. I think I will concentrate on other parts not the alarm no wires are cut I cant find any plugs close to them to plug into.

I have a spark and have lifted the tank taken off the fuel pipe flicked the key and fuel comes out at some pressure not exact on the pressure but it squirts out. I can strip the fuel pump and check the gauze filter see if its blocked.

The er-4 on the dash is getting to me need to see what these clocks do when I get them.

Does the immobiliser kill the injectors because that would answer a lot of questions just thought I would see the red light on the dash flash. The red light does nothing at all key in or out
Take a good look at the big white connector behind the LH fairing. This takes all the signals from ECU to clocks. As well as the lighting and backup voltage to the trip counter).
These plugs are a known source of problems on all the R1s, on my 5VY I had to bypass the connector to get good lights and clean to re-establish the trip backup. Had similar issues on 4XVs.
Old enough to know better.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Steve R1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 am
Is that it Jompy.... no pearls of wisdom to help Jake.... you clearly haven’t had your PG this morning Image

5vy is injection and i know nothing about them :think:
Mind you some would say i know f**k all about the carb'd R1's 😂
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

jompy wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 am

5vy is injection and i know nothing about them :think:
Mind you some would say i know f**k all about the carb'd R1's Image
You see Jompy... I think different, you are full of knowledge, a very helpful primate, you know the forum inside out and always go above and beyond to help people... in short you are “a good egg”ImageImageImageImage(and I’m being serious for once mate)

and you really know how to turn a beautiful R1 into something .... shall we say.... original ImageImageImage

Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

Great thanks for the help again I do really appreciate it as I seem to be struggling a little now. I will be checking the wiring to the clocks see where that gets me. I will keep you all updated
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Snakeboots01 wrote:Great thanks for the help again I do really appreciate it as I seem to be struggling a little now. I will be checking the wiring to the clocks see where that gets me. I will keep you all updated
Hi just a thought have you cleaned out the tank and the filter. With it standing I bet its in a mess.

Snakeboots01
Lurker

Post by Snakeboots01 »

To be honest that is one thing I havent done I have looked at the fuel in a cup and looked good but I will put some fresh in and try that. I would have thought it would try fire with some easy start down the butterfly, but I only squirted a touch in just to try it, I dont think it does them any good that stuff. I've got a few things to try now, fuel check the wiring for the clocks, I will update tomorrow how I get on
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Snakeboots01 wrote:To be honest that is one thing I havent done I have looked at the fuel in a cup and looked good but I will put some fresh in and try that. I would have thought it would try fire with some easy start down the butterfly, but I only squirted a touch in just to try it, I dont think it does them any good that stuff. I've got a few things to try now, fuel check the wiring for the clocks, I will update tomorrow how I get on
Yeah lay off the easy start but you could always try beautain.