Engine compatibility 4xv 5jj

New to the forum? Then say hello here
longstreets44
Bike Make & Model: yamaha r1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Engine compatibility 4xv 5jj

Post by longstreets44 »

Hi all,I have just stripped my 5jj engine down to find all of the bores have cracks in them. I have a 4XV bottom crankcase and barrels in good condition and was wondering if the 4XV bottom crankcase can be matted with the 5jj top end ?
The only difference that I can see is the mounting points on the front of the lower crankcase for the AIS system.
Any advice welcome
Thanks in advance
Paul

malr1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 98 R1

Re: Engine compatibility 4xv 5jj

Post by malr1 »

Isn't the stroke longer on a 4xv? I'm sure Yamaha changed the bore and stroke configuration after the 4xv to try and calm the motor down a little .
If so, the bores will be narrower and you won't get the 5jj pistons in the holes if that's right.
I assume you have the head off so have a measure.
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm
Post your findings, I'm interested to know. I might be wrong.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

5jj crank cases have 4xv on them
From what if read here the bottom ends and heads are interchangeable so basically you can put a 4xv head on a 5pw bottom end .
If you have a look in the projects , 4xv and 5jj sections there should be a number of threads on the subject
Zoran Cuk and Ian Morgan on Facebook seem to know they're stuff
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

malr1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 pm Isn't the stroke longer on a 4xv? I'm sure Yamaha changed the bore and stroke configuration after the 4xv to try and calm the motor down a little .
If so, the bores will be narrower and you won't get the 5jj pistons in the holes if that's right.
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm

Just had a look at the 5jj manual same bore and stroke.
jompy

Post by jompy »

polar wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 am
malr1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 pm Isn't the stroke longer on a 4xv? I'm sure Yamaha changed the bore and stroke configuration after the 4xv to try and calm the motor down a little .
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm

4xv,5jj and 5pw all have basically the same bottom ends with i few different parts
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm

4xv,5jj and 5pw all have basically the same bottom ends with i few different parts
Lots of rumours after the major overhaul of the 5jj and most of it was cosmetic bollox John. Carb tweaking calmed it down and at the time much was made of the longer first gear that has the same part numbers🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ But the press back then talked bollox all the time to justify their existence. I’m sure I’ve seen someone transplant a 5pw engine complete to a 4xv head as the top engine mountings are different on a 5pw. Fowler’s parts list is a great mine of information when it comes to interchangeable parts.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Danf1 wrote: Lots of rumours after the major overhaul of the 5jj and most of it was cosmetic bollox John. Carb tweaking calmed it down and at the time much was made of the longer first gear that has the same part numbersImageImage But the press back then talked bollox all the time to justify their existence. I’m sure I’ve seen someone transplant a 5pw engine complete to a 4xv head as the top engine mountings are different on a 5pw. Fowler’s parts list is a great mine of information when it comes to interchangeable parts.
To be fair, Yamaha did change a lot of parts as you'll find out if you ever buy a used RH 5jj rearset to replace a damaged one. Changes that I know of include the reg/rec, igniter, clocks, mirrors, rear shock, and many more.

It's difficult to understand why Yamaha made so many "upgrades" after 2 years that really make no difference, and then revised it completely to make the 5pw. Maybe their engineers were bored?

It's even sillier when you think that the one modification that improves the 4xv is fitting 5jj pilot jets.

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Moise wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 pm
Danf1 wrote: Lots of rumours after the major overhaul of the 5jj and most of it was cosmetic bollox John. Carb tweaking calmed it down and at the time much was made of the longer first gear that has the same part numbersImageImage But the press back then talked bollox all the time to justify their existence. I’m sure I’ve seen someone transplant a 5pw engine complete to a 4xv head as the top engine mountings are different on a 5pw. Fowler’s parts list is a great mine of information when it comes to interchangeable parts.
To be fair, Yamaha did change a lot of parts as you'll find out if you ever buy a used RH 5jj rearset to replace a damaged one. Changes that I know of include the reg/rec, igniter, clocks, mirrors, rear shock, and many more.

It's difficult to understand why Yamaha made so many "upgrades" after 2 years that really make no difference, and then revised it completely to make the 5pw. Maybe their engineers were bored?

It's even sillier when you think that the one modification that improves the 4xv is fitting 5jj pilot jets.
Exactly all superficial stuff the “lump” Is the same. All just marketing change up every 2 years keep the “ must Have the latest bikes” spending money. Nothing wrong with it but I remember the fuss at the time and underneath nothing much changed.
malr1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 98 R1

Post by malr1 »

You're dead right there Moise, I fitted 5jj jets last year and the bike runs so much better now.
I've never fitted out 5jj cases with 4xv internals though. but seeing as the guy's 4xv is knackered, I would go ahead and try the rebuild.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Danf1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:19 pm
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm

Lots of rumours after the major overhaul of the 5jj and most of it was cosmetic bollox John. Carb tweaking calmed it down and at the time much was made of the longer first gear that has the same part numbers🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ But the press back then talked bollox all the time to justify their existence. I’m sure I’ve seen someone transplant a 5pw engine complete to a 4xv head as the top engine mountings are different on a 5pw. Fowler’s parts list is a great mine of information when it comes to interchangeable parts.
Yeah the 5pw engine transplant was into a 4xv frame in the projects section on here , they guy wanted to run a 4xv with injection , he said if I remember correctly that he was going to make a bracket for the miss aligned head bolt but he had read that other people hadn't bothered and ran them with the frame/head bolt missing , I couldn't do it .
I've brought the longer first gear thing up in here and on Facebook , I hear a fair few people say that the 5jj has a longer first gear than the 4xv , I've had both 4xv and 5jj engines in my bike and the only difference I've noticed comes from the different pilot jets in the 5jj carbs , I've even asked if people can show me the different first gears . From what I've seen the 5pw does have a different first gear and it shows in the parts diagrams , I use Fowlers diagrams all the time but to be honest partzillas are clearer
jompy

Post by jompy »

malr1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 pm

You're dead right there Moise, I fitted 5jj jets last year and the bike runs so much better now.
I've never fitted out 5jj cases with 4xv internals though. but seeing as the guy's 4xv is knackered, I would go ahead and try the rebuild.
I've never changed an R1 gearbox myself but I was talking to someone and I can't remember who but they said you can't mix earlier model gearboxs with the 5pw , you either have to use the earlier gearbox or the 5pw . He went into more detail about which gears he swapped out and and in to what model but I can't remember I just know he said the whole gearbox
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm
4xv bore = 74mm
stroke = 58mm

Yeah the 5pw engine transplant was into a 4xv frame in the projects section on here , they guy wanted to run a 4xv with injection , he said if I remember correctly that he was going to make a bracket for the miss aligned head bolt but he had read that other people hadn't bothered and ran them with the frame/head bolt missing , I couldn't do it .
I've brought the longer first gear thing up in here and on Facebook , I hear a fair few people say that the 5jj has a longer first gear than the 4xv , I've had both 4xv and 5jj engines in my bike and the only difference I've noticed comes from the different pilot jets in the 5jj carbs , I've even asked if people can show me the different first gears . From what I've seen the 5pw does have a different first gear and it shows in the parts diagrams , I use Fowlers diagrams all the time but to be honest partzillas are clearer
No I’ve seen others John a 5pw with a 4xv head to fit in a 4xv frame And I’ve seen an original r71 with a 5pw in a modified frame to accommodate the 5pw mountings, but that was in the mid noughties in pembray. My 4xv is running a super long first gear that works really well on track as it makes dropping from second to first realistic but the gear was made by Nova.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Danf1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:15 pm
jompy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm

No I’ve seen others John a 5pw with a 4xv head to fit in a 4xv frame And I’ve seen an original r71 with a 5pw in a modified frame to accommodate the 5pw mountings, but that was in the mid noughties in pembray. My 4xv is running a super long first gear that works really well on track as it makes dropping from second to first realistic but the gear was made by Nova.
Got ya , i've heard those Nova gearboxes mentioned 👍
steve888
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: yamahar1 5jj

Post by steve888 »

Hi everybody . It was my brother Paul who wrote the original post on this thread . He kindly stripped down my 5jj whilst the lockdown is on . I thought i'd update his original post . We decided to transplant the internals of the 5jj into the cases of the 4xv block . I'll send a couple of photo's and update this thread again if anyone is interested in our progress . Nice to be part of the R1 community . Regards Steve .

jompy

Post by jompy »

steve888 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:54 am Hi everybody . It was my brother Paul who wrote the original post on this thread . He kindly stripped down my 5jj whilst the lockdown is on . I thought i'd update his original post . We decided to transplant the internals of the 5jj into the cases of the 4xv block . I'll send a couple of photo's and update this thread again if anyone is interested in our progress . Nice to be part of the R1 community . Regards Steve .

Hiya buddy , thanks for coming back and updating the threasd 👍
How would you fancy starting a thread in the projects section in the R1 area of the forum ? we all love a good read 👌
steve888
Lurker

Post by steve888 »

I'd be happy to Jompy . Not put stuff on Forum's before so i'll see how it goes . Got plenty of pics so i'll get a few posted . The engine should be going back together this weekend .
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

steve888 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am I'd be happy to Jompy . Not put stuff on Forum's before so i'll see how it goes . Got plenty of pics so i'll get a few posted . The engine should be going back together this weekend .
Sounds like it will be a decent job when done, are you replacing the rings?

If you havent got a gasket set yet try partzilla they will be half the price of uk dealer prices :shock:
jompy

Post by jompy »

steve888 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 am I'd be happy to Jompy . Not put stuff on Forum's before so i'll see how it goes . Got plenty of pics so i'll get a few posted . The engine should be going back together this weekend .
Nice one mate , on this forum we incourage people to join in 👍
steve888
Lurker

Post by steve888 »

I've got all the parts thanks . I managed to get an Athena gasket set from Deutschland Ebay for £125 delivered so hoping the head gasket is gonna be as good as a Yam part ! Not replacing the rings to keep the cost down . They've all been measured in the bores so fingers crossed ! Third gear and it's selector fork have taken a bit of a beating ( probably wheelies ) so I've got a new selector , also from Germany . Hoping this lockdown carries on for a bit so my bruv can finish what he started ! Thanks for the support .
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for ya

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)