Hello!

New to the forum? Then say hello here
PatM
Bike Make & Model: 2001 5JJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello!

Post by PatM »

Had my R1 since new, blah blah, best bike, blah blah wife let me buy it, blah still got it.. Seriously though- the R1 was my first BN bike but it follwed a long list of dubious ones give a variety of reasons that only age can justify. Started in a car but migrate to bikes as my brother got one. CB175, A100, GT750 Suzi, Then a long brake, hospital, kids, mortgage then 400/4, CX500, GSR600, ZXR400. CBR1000, R1, 400/4, Then i had a rin of Firms supplied bikes- Triumph Daytona, BMW1150GS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, then back to my own when the Owner sold the Firm I worked for- Triumph Explorer, Triumph 1200 (with is the same as the Explorer but newer) ive still got the R1, a 400/4 and the Triumph 1200.
I dont ride as much as i once did (I always did 100 minimum a day for 12 years, sometimes 500)
I live in Maidstone, work from home thesedays (a lot of us do!) will retire in a bit, but just ticking over....Yes, Im an oldie.But is wasnt always.

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Hello!

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Pat
Hope you enjoy the forum 👍
You've had a few bikes then 😁
How long tyou had the 5jj ?
PatM

Post by PatM »

Since new- August 2001.It was my first BN bike. I bemoaned the fact to my wife and it worked- Got a Bank Loan and put about £2k down on it. Funny looking back, but by an large we never did 'debt' becuase it wasnt easy to get back when we were say, 16/17 (for me that would have been 1971/2) and apart from mortgage, we had what we had- hence the array of bikes. Ive loved them all for different reasons. The R1 Ive kept as I had 12 years of firms bike after that one. i probably rode it for about 3 years, then it started getiing left at home...Its got 28k on it- I took it out a couple of times this week.
I know what happens when they get laid-up for too long not to.
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

Welcome in pal if you've got any piccys we'd love to see em, i like the idea of a 'company bike'

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
PatM

Post by PatM »

Theres 2 of the rascals chatting to a couple of thier 4-wheeled friends.
The Company bike thing was good while it lasted. The plus being i could have what i wanted (within reason) instead of a car. The minus is the obvious one- you cant moan its too cold to ride or theres snowfalkes around...
I think once i got to 60+, he (the owner) wised up to the risks and he possible liabilities. But, i got to all my sites and covered so many in a day becuase I played the game and appreciated the benefits. ive still got 2 complete street guards (BMW SUITS- cost a small fortune)
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

My wife got to take one of the new home when she worked at Pidcocks to run it in as they'd just had a batch of demonstrators in . They gave her the Street triple , it fell over while she was moving it off the curbed area they'd left on and when she took it back she told them they could keep it she prefered riding her Hypermotard 😂
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Wrk one to the forum Pat, nowt wrong about being more mature, remember 60 is the new 40 but with 20 more years of experience.

Like you I used to ride a lot, my daily commute was 72 miles round trip plus any business mileage I did, which I’m loved riding all over a Lancashire

Like you I ride all year, just love it, regularly do London and back in a day coupled with 6 hour meeting... always found those days so relaxing... it wouldn’t have been the case if I was in the car... my colleagues could understand why I took the bike... they reckoned I was risking my life.. but that’s part of the buzz

Welcome to our biking family, we are a great bunch of bikers who help each other out... I need more help than others as I don’t know a spanner from a saw

Join in the banter and laugh along with us.. and remember.. bikes keep us young

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
andycktm
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: yamaha R1

Post by andycktm »

Hi mate,
400/4 used to rev to the moon and sound awesome with a pipe (for a 70's 80's bike)then when you looked at the speedo 80 mph :lol:
Good times.