cholder
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 β€˜99
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello

Post by cholder »

Good evening fellow R1 owners

At a late age, I have taken a step back into the saddle of a sports bike by buying a beautiful '99 4XV, it shares the garage with a '46 Norton 16H but that's another story...

dog78
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Aprilia Factory

Re: Hello

Post by dog78 »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, I have been here nearly two years.
Nice bunch on here, very helpful members.
There's nothing such a late age I bought my C2R at 59 and I take it on track 🀣. I had a Norton 1973 Norvil, one of two bikes I wish I had never sold. The other one being a 1967 Bultaco TSS250 single cylinder 2 stroke open class racer, worth 30k now 😭.
I hope you realise they will want pictures of the bikes, I would like to see the Norton too. Enjoy your stay πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Chris
Hope you enjoy the 4xv and the forum πŸ‘
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome chris, hope you enjoy the forum & dogs correct picture(s) are essential cos we are nosey fekkers so blue or red

edit... just looked at photo on "my 4xv is.." thread - does look to be a tidy example of the slower red variety.......cue steve
Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Filmoor
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Aprillia Tuono/ R1

Post by Filmoor »

Hi Cholder

Never too old to swing your leg over a Sportsbike I just guess the stops are more frequent and longer

Welcome aboard.
Never argue with an idiot they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience !!!
jompy

Post by jompy »

Filmoor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 pm Hi Cholder

Never too old to swing your leg over a Sportsbike I just guess the stops are more frequent and longer

Welcome aboard.
If you do get too old just do this and have the best of both worlds ;) :lol:
cholder
Lurker

Post by cholder »

Good morning everyone,

Thanks for the welcome messages, perhaps I'm not too old after all at 54!

Here are pictures of my Norton and R1. I bought the Norton a few years ago, it was all intact but just needed a bit of TLC so I stripped and rebuilt everything. It still has the original tank, engine, gearbox forks and Frame as they are all individually numbered. Who need Datatag...

The R1 is a guilty pleasure. I love engineering, most of my stuff is early British but the Yamaha demands respect from design through to build. I bought it recently having waited for the right one to pop up, it's not what I really wanted ('98) but it's only done 6.5K and is nearly 100% stock. Just need to change the Front brake master cylinder cap (currently chrome) and maybe the handlebar endcaps as they have R1 written on them (are these stock?). It has small crash bungs but I think that they will stay

jompy

Post by jompy »

54 πŸ˜‚
Mate i'm considered relatively young on here and i'm 48 πŸ˜‚
One member is over 70 and theres a few 60 year olds πŸ‘
Have you managed to ride it yet ? and i don't mean a pootle about :think:
cholder
Lurker

Post by cholder »

Hi, it's funny really I only said that because the first time I took it out my wrists ached from the riding position. I found it became better by going faster so now I'm enjoying it's delights. Need to remember which side the gear lever/brake is now and again though :)
It's been off the road for 10yrs (ornament?) so I'm easing it in gently. Oil change this week then I'm planing on feeling the full range

I do have a WR450 as well so I'm looking forward to comparing the power band..
jompy

Post by jompy »

WR450 , nice πŸ‘
think you'll enjoy the powerband when you hit about 8 or 9000rpm πŸ‘πŸ˜‚
dog78
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Aprilia Factory

Post by dog78 »

cholder wrote: ↑Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm Hi, it's funny really I only said that because the first time I took it out my wrists ached from the riding position. I found it became better by going faster so now I'm enjoying it's delights. Need to remember which side the gear lever/brake is now and again though :)
It's been off the road for 10yrs (ornament?) so I'm easing it in gently. Oil change this week then I'm planing on feeling the full range

I do have a WR450 as well so I'm looking forward to comparing the power band..
Hi Chris, change the clipons for some flatter ones makes a world of difference, I have a 2005 Aprilia factory and put a st of Evols on it, they weren't the riser type just a flatter angle and it is a night and day difference.
Your both bikes are immaculate, great to have a another member with an engineering interest. πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

I have Helibars on my 4XV, they’re great.
As dog says, no riser, just a flatter angle.
Old enough to know better.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

My 4xv came with riser bars fitted and the original clipons in a box. I refitted them after one of the riser bars was badly bent in a lowside, and they were better for cornering. But no way could I do long rides with them!

My riser bars were made locally in NZ, but I would also suggest Helibars.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
cholder
Lurker

Post by cholder »

Thanks for the great suggestions and appreciation of my bikes, didn't know that the red one's were slower though :D

I have just painted the wheels and disks so it's almost there now, bought an original front brake reservoir cap to get rid of the chrome one too. Why are parts for the early ones so expensive?

Looking at bars now but that's a tricky one, comfort verses originality but that's a thread all on its own. I have read lots on here where riders are voicing their views against collectors, I like to sit in the middle ground by keeping originality but having fun too.
jompy

Post by jompy »

cholder wrote: ↑Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 pm Thanks for the great suggestions and appreciation of my bikes, didn't know that the red one's were slower though :D

I have just painted the wheels and disks so it's almost there now, bought an original front brake reservoir cap to get rid of the chrome one too. Why are parts for the early ones so expensive?

Looking at bars now but that's a tricky one, comfort verses originality but that's a thread all on its own. I have read lots on here where riders are voicing their views against collectors, I like to sit in the middle ground by keeping originality but having fun too.
Painted the brake disks :o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:
cholder wrote: ↑Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 pm Thanks for the great suggestions and appreciation of my bikes, didn't know that the red one's were slower though :D

Image Image Image Image Image
ImageImageImage
You're the last person who should be commenting on people modifying their 4xv.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

cholder wrote: Looking at bars now but that's a tricky one, comfort verses originality but that's a thread all on its own. I have read lots on here where riders are voicing their views against collectors, I like to sit in the middle ground by keeping originality but having fun too.
Helibars are comfortable whilst still keeping it a sports bike. I also have Harris rearsets set down and back for a bit more legroom and a Penske shock just like DJ’s Image
It’s good to set the bike up so it’s nice to ride.
I always keep all the original parts so it can easily be put back to standard.
Old enough to know better.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Moise wrote: ↑Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:09 pm
jompy wrote:

ImageImageImage
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Moise wrote:
jompy wrote:

ImageImageImage
Well said Duncan ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts