Dealers You Trust

Post in Here for Ride Outs and meets in Scotland (I guess this will be quiet for a few months!)
LOCKE
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 2009 YZF R1 14B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dealers You Trust

Post by LOCKE »

What Yamaha dealers or other garages do you trust around Glasgow/Central belt? I normally do all my service work myself but just in case a big job comes up. I would travel further if worth it.

14B. Enough Said.

HEL Pirelli Akrapovic Brembo Gilles Tooling Pro-Bolt GBRacing PCV Renthal K&N
stug
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2006 R1

Re: Dealers You Trust

Post by stug »

Dont trust anybody really.
Apart from tyres I do everything myself.
Dynotech Ecosse in Hillington gets a good name, not had anything done there apart from the 2 bikes mapped but they are good guys and always seem to be busy.
From what I heard the Glasgow Yam dealer only has 1 qualified mechanic , so your better doing everything yourself rather than some 18 year old that doesnt care about your bike doing it.
LOCKE
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 2009 YZF R1 14B

Post by LOCKE »

stug wrote: From what I heard the Glasgow Yam dealer only has 1 qualified mechanic , so your better doing everything yourself rather than some 18 year old that doesnt care about your bike doing it.
Been in there a couple of times and it looks very disorganised.
14B. Enough Said.

HEL Pirelli Akrapovic Brembo Gilles Tooling Pro-Bolt GBRacing PCV Renthal K&N
Gucci
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1

Post by Gucci »

Not really into anyone touching the beast anymore but me. However I can't do mot's so

james allan and sons Edinburgh near the top of leith walk. They did my mot in 2 minutes, proper sweet.
Hairy Fifer
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1

Post by Hairy Fifer »

Former student of mine and now a mate.
Based in Dundee
Euan
http://www.scorpiantyres.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boxer1
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: yzf R1 2006

Post by boxer1 »

I use allan duffus in kirkaldy, had my two previous fazer 1000,s serviced there, always a big difference to the bike, great service from the staff too, will be getting my R1 seviced there :D
Scrapman
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4C8 07

Post by Scrapman »

I'm not usually one for recommendations as it would seem that one man gets a great service and another may not.
I have had no problems at Ride-On but others have. All good reports for Dynotech Ecosse, well I haven't heard any bad stories yet.
Tend to do our own work unless its way to techy.
I will take this opertunity to shamelessly plug this brilliant service.
http://m.facebook.com/TreadCarefullyMob ... tting&_rdr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suck, Squeeze, Bang & Blow.
pinnit
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: BMW1000RR

Post by pinnit »

ian bell grew up with him, got a good team all the lads use him,also him n son carl won f2 british sidecar championship last yr, his lads are ally, mark, rossi, all race and are good at any job be ita race engine which he builds or service or even a duke rebuild, no wonder he,s yam,s no 1 independant dealer in england :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:
hammy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 4c8 R1

Post by hammy »

Sorry pinnit, I have to totally disagree about Ian bells. The one time I used them they were unreliable, charged me for work I never asked for. Over charged me.

They tried to make excuses about having the wrong parts etc when the right parts were given to them. When I told them this they realised they were wrong

They fitted an exhaust incorrectly. I gave them brand new gaskets to fit as per graves instructions. The exhaust was leaking and only when I refitted it did I know they hadn't fitted the new gaskets. The new gaskets weren't returned with the stock spares

They asked me to leave it one day and pick it up the next......i left it a week because they kept doing other work. It should have taken half a day to fit all the parts

A lot of the jobs I asked them to do complimented each other...ie panels needed to be removed, tank removed etc. this should have greatly reduced the time taken but they charged me as if they were all separate jobs. I kept phoning up asking where we were at with the bike and repeatedly was told they hadn't had chance to start it. Yet when I got there to pay Ian bell himself said they had been on it for 3 days solid. PJC has seen the work they did and knows it wouldn't take even a day

Two jobs I asked them to do they didn't. They also fitted the brake fluid reservoir at an angle and fluid wasn't going down the hose

They did a dyno run when I asked for a custom map. They said they didn't have time to do the custom map. Never again !
hammy
Been here too long

Post by hammy »

Double post
pinnit
Been here too long

Post by pinnit »

dear hammy, had a talk with the lad who did your bike, from what i was informed some parts were not co herent with the parts you supplied ,regards cables etc,no worries peter, ian and the lad concerened built my engine r6, no probs
hammy
Been here too long

Post by hammy »

pinnit wrote:dear hammy, had a talk with the lad who did your bike, from what i was informed some parts were not co herent with the parts you supplied ,regards cables etc,no worries peter, ian and the lad concerened built my engine r6, no probs
The lad who did the bike told me the same thing when i phoned to ask about progress of the job.i advised him that there were new braided longer brake cables and throttle cables in the box, he went away and confirmed his mistake a minute later. I did tell him this when I dropped the bike off

This was almost as soon as he started fitting the bar kit. He also didn't fit spacers which meant I couldn't put my steering lock on. He didn't tell me about this

I gave him a full set of manufacturers instructions for the exhaust and top yoke kit and he still did a substandard job on both

I also asked him to run a cable when the tank was off to allow me to fit a 12v socket. He told me they couldn't get any black cable....really?

There are more issues. I've just had a very bad experience with this garage. Maybe mine was an isolated incident but I was overcharged, took too long, substandard work, charged for jobs I didn't ask for and they didn't complete work I asked them to

There is no doubt about the pedigree behind this garage but in this instance I didn't experience it :(
PJC
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: GSXR1000K5 5PW

Post by PJC »

Peter, I know Ian is your m8 and also a great racer and shop owner who i very much respect; however in this case I would shut the feck up, I saw the work and the bill. I would be rather embarrassed to charge that amount for the work a trainee could have done to a higher standard. I could have done the jobs (well the ones they attempted) in no more than 6 hours and that's without a correctly tooled up workshop.

Sorry but facts don't lie. I truly hope this is an isolated case however Mr Bell IMO did not put up a good case for the charges after Hammy questioned him.

Now if i am not mistaken you spent a sh1t load of money on your mota and it still had a flat spot at 9k, which to fix you had to re dyno.
I rest my case

Tuck in behind me, i'll show you the best place to crash

Stopped drinking, smoking, taking drugs and running sex parties, luckily ive still bikes to corrupt me 8-)
stug
Been here too long

Post by stug »

Why is this even in here?
This is the Scotland section and the question asked was dealers or garages in the Glasgow/Central belt.
Dont come into our patch and start arguements, bugger off :D
hammy
Been here too long

Post by hammy »

stug wrote:Why is this even in here?
This is the Scotland section and the question asked was dealers or garages in the Glasgow/Central belt.
Dont come into our patch and start arguements, bugger off :D
Locke said he would travel further, pinnit recommended a garage that was further away, I gave my opinions of the garage pinnit recommended ...that's why :)
pinnit
Been here too long

Post by pinnit »

regards r6 pj, ian built eng, dyno set up by john waddington, flat sot, took bike to ians and found carbs fooked , refitted another set , cabs sorted, why did you not do hammys, bike pj, :think:
hammy
Been here too long

Post by hammy »

pinnit wrote: why did you not do hammys, bike pj, :think:
Pete actually did offer to help when I talked about the work I was getting but I had just been paid my bonus, was feeling flush, and wanted a custom map doing on the dyno anyway....So just took it to bells

Lets draw a line under this one shall we ? .....group hug everyone :)
pinnit
Been here too long

Post by pinnit »

what i found with mine, was a flat spot spent sevral sundays my only day off raising n lowering needles to try to soften flat spot then would take bike to ians for dyno run, could not loose it, so after trying everything we replaced with newer carbs, this worked and was suggested by ross n ian,flat spot gone 8per cent, rise in tourque from 5 to 14000 rpm,bellys kit igniter gives me 8 hp at bottom end, lots of time spent but worth it,cheers hammy npeter
alr1
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 07 r1

Post by alr1 »

Ian Murray's in Loanhead are superb,been there for a couple of things and trust them totally. Learnt a few things from them as well . :think:
liam_uk
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 2CR

Post by liam_uk »

Saltire Motorcycles in Edinburgh are now Yamaha dealers.
Good guys that I've bought from in the past and I've been very happy with them doing all my servicing.
I got a dig bick. You this read wrong. You read that wrong too.
CBR125R --> GSXR 600 K4 --> GSXR 1000 K5 --> BMW S1000RR --> Yamaha R1 14BE --> Yamaha R1 2016
joe_bloggs
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2015 Honda Fireblade

Post by joe_bloggs »

I bought my R6 in Ride On in Shawlands in Glasgow last May, they have now lost the Yamaha Franchise, I had a quote of about £300 to get the R6 serviced, they charge £70 an hour, I will probably be taking it to Dynotech in Hillington, have all the parts just someone to do it, am a truck n bus mechanic who hates working on cars due to them having limited access etc, bikes, f**k that would rather pay a small price to keep the service history up to date
Bolt ya rocket^^
stug
Been here too long

Post by stug »

Most places are about that price nowadays and Dynotech are £60 an hour labour