How to post images in forum posts without having to use Tapatalk.

Useful tips for using the site. forum Etiquette, how to stay on the right side of the moderators & admins. How to post images, videos, and more.
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

How to post images in forum posts without having to use Tapatalk.

Post by Boz »

This should help those having issues uploading images into posts on the forum without having to use Tapatalk, it works with Android phones and tablets, and Microsoft Windows tablets, laptops and PCs. It should work in a similar way on the Apple platform too using iPhones, iPads etc, but I haven't yet tested it.

I've based this thread on using postimages.org file sharing, but this method should work for other other image file sharing sites.

Step 1

In your device browser go to https://postimages.org/ and click on 'Choose images', the other boxes can be used if you want a smaller resized image. Don't bother with the 'NoExpiration' box as that's only required if you want to automatically delete an image after a certain time period.

You can now tap on 'Choose an image' and pick an image from whatever folder you store images on your device, or from cloud storage such as One Drive by Microsoft that shows up on Android and Windows device folders if you have it installed and use it.

Step 2

Once the image has uploaded copy the highlighted link so it's ready to paste into the forum post you will make. The image will be large and will auto resize on the forum, it won't just be a small thumbnail picture!

At this point you have to create a new post on the forum, so you can shut down the postimage.org page as long as you're sure the link has been copied and is ready to be pasted. The copied link should still copy into your forum post even if you close the postimage.org page. Or you can keep the postimage.org tab open and open another tab to the forum if you haven't already, whatever is easier for you!

step 3

Once on the forum and you're ready to upload the image link you saved from postimage.org into your post, open 'Quick Reply' then click on 'Full Editor & Preview' that can be seen at the bottom of 'Quick Reply'. You can then paste the image using the link you copied.

'Full Editor and Preview' shown below

Step 4

Click on the tab shown below and you will see the img brackets show up.

Step 5

Now paste the link you got from postimage.org in the centre of both sets of brackets as shown below, there should be no spaces in any of the text or it won't work! Notice the 'Preview' tab which you'll use next.

Step 6

Now you can check if the image has been correctly inserted by tapping on the 'Preview' tab as shown below. You can now add your text above or below the image to finish the post or add more images, check preview again and if all looks good tap on the 'Submit button' to post on the forum. It's then job done!

Once you get the knack of uploading images to the forum this way it doesn't take long at all. :)

Live life in the fastish lane
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to post images in forum posts without having to use Tapatalk.

Post by Steve R1 »

Nice one Boz

Jompy... can you make this a sticky so it always remains near the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Thanks Boz.

A couple of comments.

You can drag and drop photos on to the Postimage web page. You can also process multiple files at once.

In the options table, the 3rd from the bottom is labelled Hot link for forums. If you copy this, then you don't need to worry about IMG tags, etc.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Moise wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm Thanks Boz.

A couple of comments.

You can drag and drop photos on to the Postimage web page. You can also process multiple files at once.

In the options table, the 3rd from the bottom is labelled Hot link for forums. If you copy this, then you don't need to worry about IMG tags, etc.
Good valid points, but there was a reason for the way I did it, and there's nothing stopping members here doing it using you method.

Yes you can drag and drop images onto postimage, but on Windows PC I just see a thumbnail image that has to be clicked on to see the full sized image, which takes you away from this forums web page. I done it the other way so the image can be seen in all it's glory without having to click through to see it. :)

The forum hotlink does work ok, but on an Android device using my photos the photo has it's file name on show which is a pain and if the image is clicked on accidently it takes you away from this website to the postimage page. Using Windows is the same again if the image is clicked on it takes you to the postimage page.

I tried to make it as good as I could so a full image shows and accidently clicking on the image doesn't take you away from here, and to make it simple so that you don't have to have more than one web page open if you don't want to.

Keep the feedback up Duncan, the easier the better! :)
Live life in the fastish lane
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

I find drag and drop, then using the hotlink to be the quickest, although I do understand why you've suggested a different method. Plus I'm used to having many windows open at once so I may not be your typical home user!

The forum hotlink uses a different method to link to the photo, so you will be redirected to their website if you click or tap. I quite like that though, because you can then see a higher resolution image.

Really just different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I do worry about Postimage or Tapatalk doing another Photobucket though. It costs money to host all those photos.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue