Anodised Ohlins forks

A forum Section for MT10 & FZ10 owners
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Anodised Ohlins forks

Post by polar »

OK guy's does anybody know of a way to touch up stone chips on anodised forks? Bloody aggregate truck! Im going to cover them with some film now but its a bit late for the couple of chips i have already.

They never stay new when you use them

Thanks in advance guys
Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited by polar on Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R1ch
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1m

Re: Anodised Ohlins forks

Post by R1ch »

bit late, but i used this stuff the other weekend to protect my forks (and some of my side panels)..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teckwrap-Hel ... gmU7ZVB_gg

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

R1ch wrote:bit late, but i used this stuff the other weekend to protect my forks (and some of my side panels)..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teckwrap-Hel ... gmU7ZVB_gg
Thanks Rich it looks good stuff. It be honest the chipping is very slight just wanted to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

polar wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm
OK guy's does anybody know of a way to touch up stone chips on anodised forks? Bloody aggregate truck! Im going to cover them with some film now but its a bit late for the couple of chips i have already.

They never stay new when you use them ImageImage

Thanks in advance guys
Oh sh!t that’s going to set off your OCD big time,

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

I don't think there's much you can do once it's damaged except maybe polish the marks as best you can.

Something to watch for if I ever get a naked bike. Our roads would make a mess of those forks in no time.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Danf1 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:12 pm
polar wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm

They never stay new when you use them ImageImage

Thanks in advance guys
Oh sh!t that’s going to set off your OCD big time,

To be honest it did for about 5 minutes and then i thought why bother about stuff like that when its brilliant to ride and when i get home im walking round with a permanent grin on my face :lol: :lol:

Bikes are for using not looking at and polishing - yes look after it mechanically as well as cosmetically the best you can but dont worry about wear and tear it happens.

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Moise wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:15 pm
I don't think there's much you can do once it's damaged except maybe polish the marks as best you can.

Something to watch for if I ever get a naked bike. Our roads would make a mess of those forks in no time.

I dont think its just a naked bike thing the forks are well shiny so you notice things im sure the R1M would have been the same. If you ride it like you stole it then you get more gravel rash it happens. Where i ride i suspect the roads are 60% like yours and this time of year the rechipping gets done :doh:

I think you are right not a lot to be done im sure in a few thousand miles it will be a lot worse but i intend to ride it and enjoy it the best i can. Now if i could put the same kind of mileage on it as your R1 that would be something.

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

polar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am
Moise wrote:

I dont think its just a naked bike thing the forks are well shiny so you notice things im sure the R1M would have been the same. If you ride it like you stole it then you get more gravel rash it happens. Where i ride i suspect the roads are 60% like yours and this time of year the rechipping gets done :doh:

I think you are right not a lot to be done im sure in a few thousand miles it will be a lot worse but i intend to ride it and enjoy it the best i can. Now if i could put the same kind of mileage on it as your R1 that would be something.
They use that tar and chip sh!t all over my area it’s bloody terrible stuff

Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

Danf1 wrote:
polar wrote:
Moise wrote:

Welcome to my world. It's even used on motorways in NZ.

1999 4xv in blue

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Danf1 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:24 pm
polar wrote:
Moise wrote:

I sound like a whining old fucker but the amount of damage is causes to cars and bikes it should be banned - trouble is its cheap.

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Moise wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Danf1 wrote:
polar wrote:
Moise wrote:

Motorways WTF im going right off NZ :o

Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

polar wrote:
Moise wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Danf1 wrote:
polar wrote:
Moise wrote:

Motorways WTF im going right off NZ :o
Yes, only in rural areas though. But spend hundreds of millions building a new motorway then surface it in chip seal and have to redo it every few years???

1999 4xv in blue

Rednine
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4XV, S1000rr Sport

Post by Rednine »

The first owner of my bike had it covered with Venture Shield including the anodised forks. Now eight thousand miles later the only blemish is a minimal mark on the Venture Shield. On that basis its worth a thought Mark.
You don't stop riding bikes because you're old -you get old because you stop riding bikes.

polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Rednine wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:48 pm
The first owner of my bike had it covered with Venture Shield including the anodised forks. Now eight thousand miles later the only blemish is a minimal mark on the Venture Shield. On that basis its worth a thought Mark.

Ive put something similar on now Neil so no more chipps. The couple on there are not that bad so it was a good warning to get something on them. You can try and look after them but we cant wrap them in cotton wool can we mate.