Time for a new bike

A forum Section for MT10 & FZ10 owners
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Re: Time for a new bike

Post by newsh »

Euro 4 bikes run extremely lean at cruise. You can certainly get it mapped out, either with flash, PC or Bazzaz

Old enough to know better.

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

newsh wrote:Euro 4 bikes run extremely lean at cruise. You can certainly get it mapped out, either with flash, PC or Bazzaz
It's not Euro 4 as it has the official factory Akra exhaust, which has no cat or exhaust valve. The dealer downloads a "race" map from Aprilia after installation. Apparently it is the only exhaust that does not invalidate the factory warranty.

Quite how Aprilia get away with that I'm not sure, but the salesman told me that it will not be available for the Euro 5 models.

The peak power isn't much greater, but it is up 5 hp at 7000 rpm. Like it needed more midrange!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue

newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

Old enough to know better.

Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

I've had a call from the dealer about the surging at light throttle. They've adjusted the chain, said I should have used the Race map and 70 mph is too slow for 6th. I'll take it for another ride this morning.

I found this about the maps, so they may have a point.

There are 3 Engine Maps. All have full horsepower available in this model!
S= Sport – Map with direct throttle response with more engine braking
T= Track - Map with a softer response at lower throttle position with less engine braking
R= Race – Map with a softer response at lower throttle position and even more reduced engine braking.
Note: For pre MY15 bikes R= Road/Rain map.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

1999 4xv in blue

Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

I rode the Tuono again yesterday. Love the bike, I'm just a little worried about keeping my licence if I buy one.

They hadn't fixed the surging problem, which was bad no matter which map was used. The throttle is fully electronic, and when I moved it from the closed position, could feel it sticking every degree or so. I checked a new bike in the showroom, which was perfectly smooth.

At this point, I thought the salesman would ask the workshop to look at it as the bike is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. But no, he comes back from the workshop with a can of spray lube and starts spraying wherever he could. That did stop the sticking, but it moved even more freely afterwards which is not really what you want as the throttle is very sensitive.

Then he decided to fit the baffle to the exhaust... It was a tight fit, not helped by him initially trying to fit it the wrong way round! He ended up using a pair of grips to wiggle it into position, which left the end of the baffle with a couple of flats and marks on it. I am surprised anyone in the workshop lets him borrow their tools.

The surging was better but I suspect that the throttle bodies could do with synchronising. I nearly bought it anyway, but would like to try another example first. I doubt anyone at the dealer had taken it for a ride as the surging was really obvious at cruising speeds on the motorway before the throttle was lubed. The Tuono seems to be a bike that needs careful setup to perform at its best.

1999 4xv in blue