New to the forum? Then say hello here
Blue Camo
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4c8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"nd time Newbie

Post by Blue Camo »

Hey guys, been a while since I was last here, back in 2012 I believe. Sold my 04 R1 back then and recently (3 weeks ago) got myself an 07 model. 10,223 on the clocks, dripping with extras and all original parts included also. Couldn't remember my old details so have had to "re-join".

Live in Berkshire SL2 area so if there are people on here that fancy a ride out who are local then give me a shout. Also very handy with the spanners so can give others local a hand if needed.

Hope to get advice and give as well as that is what I do.

First post and first issue I have is regards the cold start. I know the 07-08 models are not the best starters and mine fires up roughly on the third rotation which I believe is normal for this model. The bit that I am a little concerned about though is right before it starts up the temp goes from reading "lo" to quickly flashing "hi" then back to "lo" then fires up. No issues with any of the running or running temp or fans , so no issues at all just the quick flash of "hi" when starting from cold. This doesn't happen every time on start up though, only if left overnight. If left for 2 mins or 2 hours it doesn't do it. Hot start is fine, spins up fast with no noises at all.

I have seen 3 people that also stated they had this issue but for the life of me can not find a definitive answer as to why it would do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated and received and hope I can be of some help to some of you guys and gals on here.

Akrapovic Carbon Cans, Akrapovic Carbon Tank Cover, Tank Infills, Heat Shield, Clutch Pivot Cover, Watsen Flushmounts, Pazzo Levers, Gilles Rearsets, Loads of ProBolt Gold R&G Tail Tidy and Crash Bungs and PC111
Donny
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 2CR

Re: "nd time Newbie

Post by Donny »

Had a 4c8 for 5 years and always started easily and always on first press of the button, mate still has one and its fine as well, never heard of it being a dodgy starter TBH , there is an electrical connector that can get corroded and cause issues, trying hard tae remember were it is , under lhs fairing infill I think ?? check and clean that up, enjoy the forum and welcome back.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are............
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome back with the new beast mate. Not a million miles away in the grand scheme of things (hello from Hampshire). That's a weird one or perhaps not. Someone here will have an opinion or answer worth a listen I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Blue Camo
Been Here a While

Post by Blue Camo »

Cheers guys, I know there are issues with the starter going bad and the usual 04-08 generator spinning its magnets (that happened on my 04), plus the wiring loom chaffing on the clock bracket but the "hi" flash I hadn't heard of. I'll strip and clean all the plugs and get some dielectric grease on them and see if that makes a difference.

I'll also run through the diagnostic mode and check the TPS setting and check the TB sync as well.

I'll also get some pictures up as soon as I have taken some of her lol.
Akrapovic Carbon Cans, Akrapovic Carbon Tank Cover, Tank Infills, Heat Shield, Clutch Pivot Cover, Watsen Flushmounts, Pazzo Levers, Gilles Rearsets, Loads of ProBolt Gold R&G Tail Tidy and Crash Bungs and PC111
samr1

Post by samr1 »

Hi welcome back I've got an 08 and never came across ur symptoms look forward to photies though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chappo
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 2016

Post by Chappo »

hi and welcome mate,
2016 R1
steveo916
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Ducati 916 / R1 4XV

Post by steveo916 »

Hilo,

Welcome in.

Maybe your bike is just being polite and saying Hi to you when you start her up.
Scrapman
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4C8 07

Re:

Post by Scrapman »

samr1 wrote:Hi welcome back I've got an 08 and never came across ur symptoms look forward to photies though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

Suck, Squeeze, Bang & Blow.
petepassion
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: YamaharZX6R

Post by petepassion »

Hi, welcome back to the forum,

Pete.
...I'm Just a passenger
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome back Paul
watzy160
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha r1 50th Anni

Post by watzy160 »

Welcome in dude. Lets see some pics! :D

As Donny said, maybe worth checking that connector. :?
Blue Camo
Been Here a While

Post by Blue Camo »

Well decided to bring the R1 to work tonight, went to start it and guess what? That's right no flash to "hi" on the temp display when starting. Could it be because I grassed it up? Doesn't want other people knowing its a temperamental b1tch lol.

Pictures now uploaded to the picture thread. Enjoy!
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Temperamental tarts they are. Gotta love em mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.