New to the forum? Then say hello here
Pailton
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: R1 5JJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi From Leicester

Post by Pailton »

Hi Folks, picked up a project bike by bidding on Flee-bay whilst incredibly drunk at the weekend. :o

I've always wanted a blue and white R1 but never had the balls to go and do it. ( Alcohol will be the death of me)!

Briefly, my main bike is a Tiger 1200 which I use for commuting and touring etc.. and I'm now looking forward to tinkering/ fixing this lovely beast with a view to taking it on the track.

Like I say it's got a few issues so I apologies now for the forthcoming daft questions. :doh:

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Re: Hi From Leicester

Post by polar »

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, they are a great bunch on here and are always willing to help.

Have you got any pics of the bike or the ebay link so we can see which model it is, also because we like to pics on here.

Good luck with your new purchase mate
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Welcome in stupid question are a must on this site so ask away. Loads of good info available when you can find it. And if you can’t the Chimp Bot window licker will point you in the right direction he can find most things!!
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Steve, great name BTW Image ask any questions you like, as Julian says, if we don’t know the answer, monkey face aka Jompy will know where to find it on here, for a primate, he is actually quite knowledgeable Image, but I think his day job helps....

Some pics of jompy... do you recognise him

After that last pic he removed his fairings and ended up with what we call the “half one” ... half an R1....

Anyway his day job... he loves a cup of tea

Oh and his other hobby

Ok that’s me banned... lol

Welcome to the mad house Image

Stephen Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Steve, great name BTW Image ask any questions you like, as Julian says, if we don’t know the answer, monkey face aka Jompy will know where to find it on here, for a primate, he is actually quite knowledgeable Image, but I think his day job helps....

Some pics of jompy... do you recognise him

After that last pic he removed his fairings and ended up with what we call the “half one” ... half an R1....

Anyway his day job... he loves a cup of tea

Oh and his other hobby

Ok that’s me banned... lol

Welcome to the mad house Image

Stephen Image

Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

You and me both my little storm trooper :lol:
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Steve
We love a good project so if you wouldn't mind starting a new thread in the projects section so we can follow your progress that's be great 👍
Hope you enjoy the 5jj and forum , there's loads to learn and the guys are great and will chip in 👍
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Danf1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 am Welcome in stupid question are a must on this site so ask away. Loads of good info available when you can find it. And if you can’t the Chimp Bot window licker will point you in the right direction he can find most things!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Steve.
God bless alcohol mate eh!! Enjoy the forum and the banter, which has excelled this evening!!! Must be the rain.

Other Steve
That's your best double post since I've been here so I've liked them both. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in steve from another leicester lad with a blue 5jj - your gonna luv it - as said get piccys up when yer can
also fucking great post stever1, made me smile that did

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Pailton
Lurker

Post by Pailton »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, :dance:

You lot are truly all barking mad. :lol:

You will have to bare with me while I try and find my way around.

Cheers
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pailton
Lurker

Post by Pailton »

Hopefully I've done this right, this is the E-Bay link I think:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-r1-20 ... true&rt=nc
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Pailton wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 am Hopefully I've done this right, this is the E-Bay link I think:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-r1-20 ... true&rt=nc
Looks like a nice 4xv with low milage, its even got the washer on the tank bolt still there, cant get them anymore and go for stupid money when they come up for sale.

Looks like the rear shock may have been serviced at some time? Heel plated - dont know what they are off?

Decent Harris pipe, all in all a nice bike.

Probably due head bearing, linkage bearing, swing arm regrease. Check the charging - they are not great, in fact spray every connector on the wiring loom (the wiring was not the best 20 years ago) and now :?:

Download the factory manual if you dont already have one - if you have trouble speak to Jompy.

Some fuel system cleaner would be a good idea or even better a carb strip and check.

All i all just a good going over (its a 20 year old bike) and it should be spot on - nice buy :clap:
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Yep late registered 4xv
First off get the thing hot , try not to let it go over 105 degrees if you can , the fan should kick in about 105ish but can be later ( you can buy a new thermo switch cheap that will make the fan cut in just over 90° *thanks Moise*) , turn the bike off once warm and then then see what it's like hot starting . Hot starting can be a sign but of cracked/chipped bore linings but it's not a definite , next thing is to see if it jumps out of second gear (around a £400 fix if using new O.E.M parts and doing it yourself ) .
Older R1's do suffer with electrical problems due to crap wiring so it's worth checking the 20pin white connector for the main wiring harness to the front harness that sits behind the left hand fairing pannel , also check the readings from the stator for the charging circuit and the stator and reg/rec plug for melting/damage .
All in all that's a good price for a project I hope you enjoy it 👍
Pailton
Lurker

Post by Pailton »

Brilliant thanks for the tips guys, it's got some rattles from the clutch and engine I need to investigate (like I say alcohol played a big part in the purchase of this). Got to ask though how can you tell it's an 4Xv? I've just got a clutch cable for a 5jj does that mater?
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

I doubt the clutch rattle is anything sinister "they all do that sir" to be honest with most sports bike engines it pays not to listen to hard.

If you go on fowlers web site you can check your bike model and cross reference any parts.

Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

There are over 100 subtle differences in the 2 models but a couple of big ones the tail piece is flatter at the rear and pointed on a 5jj front discs have less fixings ,mirrors are chunky on the 4xv ,nose and lights different shape. The good news is the older ones are worth more right now. The bad news is it’s blue and they are much slower than the fast red/white ones ask Clarky he’s made the same mistake.😉
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:There are over 100 subtle differences in the 2 models but a couple of big ones the tail piece is flatter at the rear and pointed on a 5jj front discs have less fixings ,mirrors are chunky on the 4xv ,nose and lights different shape. The good news is the older ones are worth more right now. The bad news is it’s blue and they are much slower than the fast red/white ones ask Clarky he’s made the same mistake.Image

Absolutely right Julian... them red ones are as fast as fook.... whilst the blue ones are.... well ...as fast as Clarky.... who isn’t as fast as fook.... fook is a bloody fast rider Image

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator

Post by R1Clarky »

lol you pair

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Pailton wrote:Brilliant thanks for the tips guys, it's got some rattles from the clutch and engine I need to investigate (like I say alcohol played a big part in the purchase of this). Got to ask though how can you tell it's an 4Xv? I've just got a clutch cable for a 5jj does that mater?
Welcome to the forum. As you've gathered, there's a few nutters here, but they're harmless enough and do their best to help.

It's a 4xv - you can tell by the clocks that look as though they came from the last century. But it does have 5jj heel plates. Not sure if it's the whole rearset or just the heelplate. If you look under the brake lever, you should be able to see 4xv or 5jj.

My 4xv was made in early 99 and seems to be a mix of 98 and 99 parts. It has the 98 paint scheme and 99 black wheels for example.

Looks like a decent bike. Definitely start by checking the connectors. Charging system and big white connector in the fairing.

The rattle is probably the gearbox. A carb sync should help.

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Pailton
Lurker

Post by Pailton »

Moise wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:31 pm
Pailton wrote:Brilliant thanks for the tips guys, it's got some rattles from the clutch and engine I need to investigate (like I say alcohol played a big part in the purchase of this). Got to ask though how can you tell it's an 4Xv? I've just got a clutch cable for a 5jj does that mater?
Welcome to the forum. As you've gathered, there's a few nutters here, but they're harmless enough and do their best to help.

It's a 4xv - you can tell by the clocks that look as though they came from the last century. But it does have 5jj heel plates. Not sure if it's the whole rearset or just the heelplate. If you look under the brake lever, you should be able to see 4xv or 5jj.

My 4xv was made in early 99 and seems to be a mix of 98 and 99 parts. It has the 98 paint scheme and 99 black wheels for example.

Looks like a decent bike. Definitely start by checking the connectors. Charging system and big white connector in the fairing.

The rattle is probably the gearbox. A carb sync should help.
Found the white label on the frame behind the brake lever and it says 5jj. It sounds like it's been mixed and matched.

Well later today I intend to start on the list of jobs you guys have given me and see where I end up, really appreciate the guidance folks keep it coming I think I'm going to need it. :?
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator

Post by R1Clarky »

good luck mate- if you need someone to come & shake/nod their head at appropriate times/drink your tea, im just up the road in earl shilton

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

R1Clarky wrote:good luck mate- if you need someone to come & shake/nod their head at appropriate times/drink your tea, im just up the road in earl shilton Image

I think R1Clarky is pretty harmless. :)

Just keep Jompy well away otherwise next thing you know all your fairings will be gone and you'll have the second ugliest R1 on the planet.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator

Post by R1Clarky »

Rednine
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: S1000rr Sport

Post by Rednine »

Another welcome from me, a 4XV owner second time around. My daughter never forgave me for selling the first one, it was certainly a sale I still very much regret. Anyway, I picked up a wreck of another one some 3 to 4 years ago which had been ridden 12 months of the year in all weathers. The good news was nothing had been stinted mechanically but physically it was a real heap. However loads of help and advice from the guys on this forum I now have a very respectable BLUE 4XV which I really enjoy. Off to Brands for the BSB tomorrow whatever the weather. :? Enjoy your new purchase, it looks as though you have got a bit of a real steal - long live a drop of alcoholic assistance. :dance:
You don't stop riding bikes because you're old -you get old because you stop riding bikes.