Ian Smith
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha r1 4xv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello

Post by Ian Smith »

Hello everyone
I've recently bought a 1998 4xv in blue, totally stock apart from braided hoses, in really good condition for being 22 years old and done 29,000 miles.
I will still be doing a lot of work in the winter just to get her even nicer so i'm sure i will be posting updates in the relevant section on my work and asking for advice
I've done a few things already to make it usable for the rest of the summer including oil and filter, tyres, steering damper and i've resealed the calipers and MC, currently waiting on a shindengen reg/rec as im pretty sure the stock one is on its way out.
I had a 5jj back in the early noughties and always regretted selling it so its great to be back in the R1 club.
Cheers Ian

r1Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bike Make & Model: R1 2CR,14B,4XV

Re: Hello

Post by r1Mike »

Hi Ian, the 4XV looks very clean - welcome to the forum !
-------------
2016 R1 - Spark Ti Decat/end can, FTecu flash & Blipper. ActiveTune, carbon wheels
2006 R1 - ProjectBike
1998 R1 - Stock
1994 NSR250se MC28 HRC ignition card, derestricted for full power.
All parts supplied by us - http://www.veloxracing.com
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

Cheers Mike , yeah its not bad a few marks here and there but i have to keep reminding myself that it is 22 years old and its just patina.
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Ian
Lovely looking 4xv there mate
Hope you enjoy the forum as much as the 4xv and i'll be looking forward to anthoer great projects thread πŸ‘
BTW while you have it in bits check to see if its got the 4xv std #17.5 pilot jets as you might miss the midrange that the #15's of the 5jj's pilot jets , theres a thread on it somewhere as the pilot jet screw settings are different
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Hello Ian, welcome to our biking community, that’s a really nice R1 you have

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

jompy wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am Welcome in Ian
Hope you enjoy the forum as much as the 4xv and i'll be looking forward to anthoer great projects thread πŸ‘
BTW while you have it in bits check to see if its got the 4xv std #17.5 pilot jets as you might miss the midrange that the #15's of the 5jj's pilot jets , theres a thread on it somewhere as the pilot jet screw settings are different
Cheers mate i will look into this, i think you suggested this to me on fb so its on my list.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Ian Smith wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am
jompy wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am Welcome in Ian
Cheers mate i will look into this, i think you suggested this to me on fb so its on my list.
Sweet mate , just make sure you have a good look around and join in πŸ‘
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in ian , the bike looks in good nick and in the better colour

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
newsh
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: R1 2015

Post by newsh »

R1Clarky wrote:welcome in ian , the bike looks in good nick Image and in the better colour Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
What he said ^^

Old enough to know better.
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Ian.
Looks sweet. Enjoy.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Welcome, looks good and in the fastest colour. :)

The reg/rec on mine was faulty and stopped charging as the revs increased. So it was OK if you were taking it easy but you couldn't ride it hard for long. Took me a little while to understand what was happening...

I replaced mine with a Shindengen FH020AA, which is a MOSFET reg/rec. They bolt straight in but need some rewiring. That's OK as it sorts out any connector problems which you will probably find.

Whatever you buy be careful as eBay is full of fake Chinese sh!t. There are a couple of sellers in the US who are good and also sell wiring kits.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

Moise wrote: ↑Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 pm Welcome, looks good and in the fastest colour. :)

The reg/rec on mine was faulty and stopped charging as the revs increased. So it was OK if you were taking it easy but you couldn't ride it hard for long. Took me a little while to understand what was happening...

I replaced mine with a Shindengen FH020AA, which is a MOSFET reg/rec. They bolt straight in but need some rewiring. That's OK as it sorts out any connector problems which you will probably find.

Whatever you buy be careful as eBay is full of fake Chinese sh!t. There are a couple of sellers in the US who are good and also sell wiring kits.
Cheers, I've ordered one from motoelectrix in the states, I got one from this supplier for my sp1 so I know he's a trusted seller. Glad they bolt straight on as I had to make a bracket for the sp.
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi Ian and welcome to the best forum in the world (well i like it anyway :lol: :lol: ) nice to see a blue 4XV always the fastest :whistle:

Tell us a bit more about yourself = biking history
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

polar wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 am Hi Ian and welcome to the best forum in the world (well i like it anyway :lol: :lol: ) nice to see a blue 4XV always the fastest :whistle:

Well ive always been around bikes as my dad raced in the 70s and he has continued riding to present day, I did my direct access back in 2003 and here's the bikes I've had:-
Zx6r
R1 5jj
Vtr sp1
Zx7r
Vtr sp2
Tuono v4 1100 (which I hated, did 300 miles on)
And now back to this R1 4xv

I pretty much do all my own work on my bikes and love a little project, I actually can't wait for the winter so I can really get stuck into this R1 and make it as nice as it can possibly be.
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Ian Smith wrote: ↑Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 pm
polar wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 am Hi Ian and welcome to the best forum in the world (well i like it anyway :lol: :lol: ) nice to see a blue 4XV always the fastest :whistle:

Well ive always been around bikes as my dad raced in the 70s and he has continued riding to present day, I did my direct access back in 2003 and here's the bikes I've had:-
Zx6r
R1 5jj
Vtr sp1
Zx7r
Vtr sp2
Tuono v4 1100 (which I hated, did 300 miles on)
And now back to this R1 4xv

I pretty much do all my own work on my bikes and love a little project, I actually can't wait for the winter so I can really get stuck into this R1 and make it as nice as it can possibly be.

Some decent bikes there mate and a good history since 2003. Mine is a bit longer i past my test in the early 80s but i tend to be a keeper so if i get a bike i like i keep it. Ive got a 14 year old FJR that ive owned from new - ideal for me and Dawn. I had to sell my 4XV, it was a minter Blue 99 plate with 16k on the clock. That was due to health meaning i couldn't ride the bugger, sports bikes are out the question now so i bought or more like Dawn bought me my MT10SP, that thing is ballistic since ive had it mapped :dance:

Why didnt you like the Tuono V4? i seriously considered one but the riding position was too cramped for me and there is no decent dealer back up and i would need to have it serviced by the dealer for the first two years to keep the warranty. Then there was the rumors about reliability and bikes off the road waiting for parts so i decided to stay Jap and Yamaha was my first choice.
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

i think i definitely should have kept the sp2, it was in the castrol colours and only had 1500 miles on it and was obviously immaculate, i had a rush of blood and sold it for the tuono thinking i would like something a bit more comfortable and all the reviews were great and lots of people saying its the best road bike ever made blah blah blah. Anyway i bought it in late oct so had a whole winter not being in the garage as there was nothing to do to it, which bored me senseless, didn't realize how much i would miss tinkering, then got to finally ride it in may and hated the fly by wire throttle and choppy euro throttle response, didn't really like all the electronics, lights flashing at me constantly, and it was dawning on me that if anything went wrong i would have to get it to a dealer and pay silly money, i know i should have thought about all this before buying but i can be a bit impulsive. Anyway i now know i am definitely a old school sports bike person so you live and learn and im back to yamaha where i started because i left of my first 2 bikes of that list above which were a yamaha PW50 and then a Fizzy that i used to thrash around my Dads farm.
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Ian Smith wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:11 am i think i definitely should have kept the sp2, it was in the castrol colours and only had 1500 miles on it and was obviously immaculate, i had a rush of blood and sold it for the tuono thinking i would like something a bit more comfortable and all the reviews were great and lots of people saying its the best road bike ever made blah blah blah. Anyway i bought it in late oct so had a whole winter not being in the garage as there was nothing to do to it, which bored me senseless, didn't realize how much i would miss tinkering, then got to finally ride it in may and hated the fly by wire throttle and choppy euro throttle response, didn't really like all the electronics, lights flashing at me constantly, and it was dawning on me that if anything went wrong i would have to get it to a dealer and pay silly money, i know i should have thought about all this before buying but i can be a bit impulsive. Anyway i now know i am definitely a old school sports bike person so you live and learn and im back to yamaha where i started because i left of my first 2 bikes of that list above which were a yamaha PW50 and then a Fizzy that i used to thrash around my Dads farm.
I think if you had had the Tuono mapped on a dyno you would have found it a much better bike. My MT10 was a bit crap and snatchy from new so i had it mapped and now it rides so much better, the throttle is pretty spot on and the midrange so much more - it really is a totally different bike.

As for worrying about if things go wrong - the electronics on the jap stuff is reliable and i cant see why the Tuono electrics should be any different. Also there is a lot of support out there from facebook forums for most bikes now. There a a couple of lads on this forum have them and they love them. Basically dont be put off by the tech new stuff its just like the old tech new stuff we were apprehensive about we now know that inside out.
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

polar wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:49 am
Ian Smith wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:11 am i think i definitely should have kept the sp2, it was in the castrol colours and only had 1500 miles on it and was obviously immaculate, i had a rush of blood and sold it for the tuono thinking i would like something a bit more comfortable and all the reviews were great and lots of people saying its the best road bike ever made blah blah blah. Anyway i bought it in late oct so had a whole winter not being in the garage as there was nothing to do to it, which bored me senseless, didn't realize how much i would miss tinkering, then got to finally ride it in may and hated the fly by wire throttle and choppy euro throttle response, didn't really like all the electronics, lights flashing at me constantly, and it was dawning on me that if anything went wrong i would have to get it to a dealer and pay silly money, i know i should have thought about all this before buying but i can be a bit impulsive. Anyway i now know i am definitely a old school sports bike person so you live and learn and im back to yamaha where i started because i left of my first 2 bikes of that list above which were a yamaha PW50 and then a Fizzy that i used to thrash around my Dads farm.
I think if you had had the Tuono mapped on a dyno you would have found it a much better bike. My MT10 was a bit crap and snatchy from new so i had it mapped and now it rides so much better, the throttle is pretty spot on and the midrange so much more - it really is a totally different bike.

As for worrying about if things go wrong - the electronics on the jap stuff is reliable and i cant see why the Tuono electrics should be any different. Also there is a lot of support out there from facebook forums for most bikes now. There a a couple of lads on this forum have them and they love them. Basically dont be put off by the tech new stuff its just like the old tech new stuff we were apprehensive about we now know that inside out.
I know what you mean but also i have to admit a massive reason i sold it was the guilt i felt of having a 12 grand toy sat in the garage when i have a young family and my mrs could do with a new car etc etc, i sold it and paid off my credit card and a few debts, tucked some cash away and got this R1 which i love so i think i definitely did the right thing before it depreciated too much.
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Ian Smith wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 am
polar wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:49 am

I know what you mean but also i have to admit a massive reason i sold it was the guilt i felt of having a 12 grand toy sat in the garage when i have a young family and my mrs could do with a new car etc etc, i sold it and paid off my credit card and a few debts, tucked some cash away and got this R1 which i love so i think i definitely did the right thing before it depreciated too much.

Fair play ive done exactly the same thing in the past, ive even pulled out of deals last minute at dealers, never at their cost i might add. In fact i think a bike of any cost should be the last thing on the shopping list. Back in 1995 when i bought our bungalow i would not even watch a race or read MCN because i knew i could not buy a bike, yes i could afford one but not a bike and a new roof :doh:

Yes the reality is sometimes not as shiny is it, and even though i love the MT i was having something of a similar time today. It all goes away when the sun goes out though.
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

Moise wrote: ↑Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 pm Welcome, looks good and in the fastest colour. :)

Don't suppose you could post a picture of your shindengen mounted on your bike and how you routed the cables could you?
Would really appreciate it.
Cheers
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

There should be a thread on this, but it will be quite a few years ago and I may have used Photobucket to host the photos. :(

Probably easier just to take some new ones. It did take a little trial and error to find a neat way to route everything.

1999 4xv in blue
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

Moise wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 am There should be a thread on this, but it will be quite a few years ago and I may have used Photobucket to host the photos. :(

Probably easier just to take some new ones. It did take a little trial and error to find a neat way to route everything.
I have searched but couldn't find any threads with pictures.
I removed the stock reg/rec last night, was quite surprised it was attached to plastic, i thought they were always attached to metal to help heat conduction. Anyway i know the shindengens run a lot cooler so i wont worry, i was just surprised.
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

I found the thread - it was April 2015. In the last post I said that I'd take some photos... can't believe it's over 5 years, which means the Yuasa battery is also 5 years old.

I'll take some photos, although the wiring is well hidden.

I thought it bolted onto metal, but it was over 5 years ago now. The MOSFET reg/rec runs cool.

1999 4xv in blue
Ian Smith
Been Here a While

Post by Ian Smith »

Moise wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am I found the thread - it was April 2015. In the last post I said that I'd take some photos... can't believe it's over 5 years, which means the Yuasa battery is also 5 years old.

I thought it bolted onto metal, but it was over 5 years ago now. The MOSFET reg/rec runs cool.
cheers bud
jompy

Post by jompy »

Moise wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 am I found the thread - it was April 2015. In the last post I said that I'd take some photos... can't believe it's over 5 years, which means the Yuasa battery is also 5 years old.

God you're seriously slacking , this is worse than when i was waiting for you to do the pilot jet review :lol: :lol: