Newbie with a poorly R1 (big bang)

New to the forum? Then say hello here
Type_R1
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie with a poorly R1 (big bang)

Post by Type_R1 »

Hey guys im Dan from Kent and yes as you may have guessed i have a poorly R1 :( I bought the bike brand new 2 and a half years ago now, i absolutely love it! But im starting to think about a nice reliable fireblade as the problems im having is effecting my summer riding :(

The Bike:

Yamaha R1 2010 model
Evo tech tailtidy with smaller plate
evo tech rear footpeg removal kit
oem rear seat unit
Yamaha LED indicators
Akrapovic carbon cans (baffles removed :D )
Akrapovic titanium decat pipe
K&N air filter
Power Commander V
165hp At the wheel 8-)

Here she is

Ok so hopefully someone can help with the problem as the dealer is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike :x The problem has actually been on going now for about a year but i dont use the bike in winter so more like 6 months. The bike started playing about around this time last year, problems with idle and throttle sticking so it seemed, it was almost like cruise control, the bike would idle at 3500rpm! i eventually got a fault code which translated into ECU malfunction. So it went down to the bike shop still in warranty and 2 months later i got the bike back with a new engine ecu fitted. By that time it was winter and didnt ride it, Then as soon as this years riding season came into swing thats when i got the power commander fitted but the fault has slowly been returning, the idle keeps going all over the place. I must say it isnt as bad this time round as last year it felt like it was misfiring and the throttle maps wouldnt work, i had about 5 different issues. This time round its purely just the idle, sometimes it will be too low (under 1krpm) sometimes it will be at 2000rpm and sometimes it will be high then come down low then recover to what its supposed to be at. My last ride out last weekend it stuck at 2k on the way home and i could not get it down, i turned the bike off for a few mins started up, all ok then 1 min up the road and back to the same thing again. The only pattern ive noticed is it seems to happen almost straight after i fill with fuel, but again not all the time. The bike has never been run on anything else but shell V-power and it was also mapped on the power commander with that too. I spoke to the guy who done the power commander and he said that shouldnt make no difference plus the power commander has nothing to do with the idle so that can be ruled out. The bike is actually going back down to the dealer in a weeks time but i dont have much confidence tbh. Just wondering if it sounds familiar to anyone!? Sorry for the essay :P
Last edited by Type_R1 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke03R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 5PW/4C8/SRAD750

Re: Newbie with a poorly R1 (big bang)

Post by Luke03R1 »

Welcome in bud, that sounds like a distraction at best hopefully another 14b owner will be along to give you some advise or I wonder if flash tune could help this issue? I guess sorting the underlying problem would still need doing
2002r1jon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bike Make & Model: Yam R1 5PW and BMW

Post by 2002r1jon »

Welcome in Dan ;)

PM R1Mike,he may well be able to sort out your issues with a FlashTune,PM him your number and he will give you a call and talk through it all with you ;) ;)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway
stug
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2006 R1

Post by stug »

Sounds like a problem with the TPS.
If its knacked or adjusted wrongly it can leave the revs hanging high.
If it is that you would think a Yam dealer would have sussed it, after all it has been quite a common problem on all Yams for years.
2002r1jon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 2002r1jon »

stug wrote:Sounds like a problem with the TPS.
If it is that you would think a Yam dealer would have sussed it, after all it has been quite a common problem on all Yams for years.
Would that make it fluctuate then Stug?(ive not had a TPS issue,so dont really know)

Type_R1
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1

Post by Type_R1 »

Ahhh i was hoping someone would say that! Ive been thinking the same thing lately but i wasnt quite sure how its all controlled as its quite advanced with all the electronics. I would agree with you on the dealer picking it up but they told me there was nothing wrong with my rattly cam chain tensioner when i took it there last year :naughty: And it wasnt until 2 phone calls to Yamaha UK plus one of their other dealers starting the bike up, crapping their pants and turning it back off again that they have finally agreed to changed it! That will be done next week

2002r1jon wrote:
Would that make it fluctuate then Stug?(ive not had a TPS issue,so dont really know)
The thing is mate it does fluctuate! Just eventually it sticks. Early on in the ride the revs stick and sometimes come back down on its own or it takes some blipping of the throttle to bring it down then it will go too low then come back again. Then later on it just sticks. Im really hoping its something simple like that because i just want it fixed and fixed before the summers gone! When the bikes working its a monster! 8-)
2002r1jon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 2002r1jon »

Type_R1 wrote:
2002r1jon wrote:
The thing is mate it does fluctuate! Just eventually it sticks. Early on in the ride the revs stick and sometimes come back down on its own or it takes some blipping of the throttle to bring it down then it will go too low then come back again. Then later on it just sticks. Im really hoping its something simple like that because i just want it fixed and fixed before the summers gone! When the bikes working its a monster! 8-)
I meant this bit ;)
Type_R1 wrote: This time round its purely just the idle, sometimes it will be too low (under 1krpm) sometimes it will be at 2000rpm and sometimes it will be high then come down low then recover to what its supposed to be at.

hammy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 4c8 R1

Post by hammy »

Could you not try going into diagnostics and see what reading you get on tps with throttle off and then again at wot. This will tell you if it needs adjusting. The range on the 4c8 is between 16 and 106. (From memory). On mine I get 16 and 99

Then try slowly opening the throttle and watching the reading on the diag increase slowly and proportional to where your wrist has the throttle

The first thing I would try is disconnect the tps on the powercomander (take the top of the posi tap off but leave it tapped in to your tps wire). You may need it disconnected any way to do the above test. I did on mine because on mine the PCV drew power and messed it up when in diag mode. I temp removed the tps tap in and the diag worked like a dream

I had an issue on my bike the other day. Pulling away was awful. I tried disconnecting the tps tap in and it was smooth as......turns out that when I've been removing my ecu to flash it (maybe 30 times) the posi had become a little loose (its fitted right next to the ecu plug)
stug
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2006 R1

Post by stug »

I had an XT660X and had a problem with the revs hanging high, thats why I think it could be the TPS.
Sometimes revving it would bring the revs down, other times sticking it in neutral would bring them down.
Different weather even affected it.
I ran it like this for months until it finally really annoyed me and I took it to a Yam dealer.
The mechanic put it into the diagnostic mode and checked the TPS settings and they were out. He adjusted it and it was fine until I sold the bike.
I would imagine that it may just need adjusted or if it was knackered the symptoms could be similar.
PJC
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: GSXR1000K5 5PW

Post by PJC »

Welcome in bonny lad.

As far as the issue goes TPS would be my 1st point of call, its only a potentiometer and as such causes issues at lower revs as thats where its gets used the most and so wares the most

Tuck in behind me, i'll show you the best place to crash

Stopped drinking, smoking, taking drugs and running sex parties, luckily ive still bikes to corrupt me 8-)
Madturk999
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha r1 2008

Post by Madturk999 »

Hi mate welcome
RIDE HARD OR GO HOME
Bub
Site Admin