New to the forum? Then say hello here
AliCat
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4XV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

4xv or 5jj?

Post by AliCat »

Hi guys, Newbie R1 owner here. Looks like an excellent forum!

Advice needed, pleez... I currently own a 1998 4xv, red and white, pretty much mint. I love it but am thinking of swapping it for a red and white 2001 5jj that is up for sale. I've been told that the 5jj is a slightly more comfortable ride (higher bars?) and a tiny bit less front end twitchy (revised subframe?) Are those points correct or are they pretty much identical bikes apart from tank shape/bodywork differences? Any advice welcome before I make a great (or stupid) decision?! Cheers, AliCat :D

samr1

Re: 4xv or 5jj?

Post by samr1 »

Hi mate welcome in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
weeksy
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: 2004 5VY. KTM 690

Post by weeksy »

THere's very very little in it mate. I would swap for gearbox issues, possibly graphics.... but certainly not for your reasons above.
tigertim20
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: 2008 R1

Post by tigertim20 »

dont bother mate.
youll get some purists who can list every tiny minor change between the bikes, but frankly, if youre upgrading from a 1998 r1 to a later model, it isnt worth it unless you go to at least a 2004 - the models from 1998 - 2003 did have changes, but they are small when you look at the models development over all.

I say this because 4xv - 5jj was essentially a host of minor developmental ammendments that all manufacturers do when they release the second Generation of a new model - little things that can easily be improved in a small way.

the 5pw was basically the same bike with injection, and a few other changes.

the 04 was a totally different weapon.

Just my $0.02
carsonr6
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 2CR(x2)& Gen 4 BMW

Post by carsonr6 »

Your bike will be worth a lot more as well mate. If I was you'd I'd be hanging on to the 4XV. The white and red bikes are only climbing in value and will always be worth more than most earlier bikes. They're certainly more desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Ali
I'd stick with the 4xv especially as it mint . A mint 4xv is more desirable than a 5jj .
Now you can skip[ this bit if you like as i'm going to waffle :doh:
The 4xv & 5jj are essentially the same bike , the main difference is the tank & body work including the front fairing bracket , slimmer clocks and seat , the only difference i can see whith the seat is the fact that it moulds to the tank differently so is a different shape . The engine has some changes to the head & gearbox but are essentially the same although the upper left hand engine mount in the head changed bolt size on the 5jj to match the 4xv and yamaha introduced the AIS system on the 5jj which a lot of people strip off anyway ( do a search on here for AIS if i remember correctly it's "Air Induction System" or something similar " .
I have a 98 4xv although it's fightered , it now has a 5jj engine in it as the 4xv motor blew & i could only get a 5jj at the time . Some people have questioned my findings due to the carbs possibly being worn but i found that the 5jj has a a stronger smoother midrange which means that the "hit" of the 8-9000 rpm powerband is not as harsh on the 5jj , i swapped the carbs with the 4xv carbs and lost the midrange & that intoxicating 8-9000 rpm "hit" was back again . Form me i prefer the midrange and a carb swap is an hours job , quite easy & you can pick up carbs for anything from £80 ( if wait ) to £250 .
From what i can tell unless they have fitted aftermarket bars theres no real difference between the 4xv & 5jj clip-on's and the forks are the size and fit both bikes although i think they messed with the forks through both the 4xv's & 5jj's due to the different markings on the lowers .
So the main difference i think you'd notice between the two is the midrange/powerband & thats if my carb findings are actually correct .
stick with the 4xv
P.S. have you been on here before or the old forum as your forum name rings a bell
carsonr6
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 2CR(x2)& Gen 4 BMW

Post by carsonr6 »

I've just read a write up in the January copy of Performance Bikes between the 4XV and 5JJ, funnily enough both owners prefer their own machines, so doesn't really help you but still worth a read if you can get it.

I've got a 4XV project and rebuilding and I've just bought another 4XV but not even seen it, never mind ridden it. I had a 5JJ and it's the best bike I've ever had, so much so that if I seen it for sale tomorrow in the same nick as 2 years ago when I sold it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Chappo
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 2016

Post by Chappo »

Welcome along mate, ;)

Great forum, just don't take the banter or pi55 take to heart lol :lol:
2016 R1
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Welcome mate. I wrote a post on this last night NZ time, but looks like I didn't click Submit.

Here's something I found on another website:
"The model update in 2000 was aimed at improving the handling and creating a more linear throttle response. Using the same basic components and layout the engineers fine-tuned many details to maximise the potential of the motorcycle. The most noticeable detail changes were the modified carburettor settings, reduced frictional losses in the engine, improved gearbox and many weight-saving changes throughout the model.

The silencer was changed to titanium and the bike’s bodywork was totally new.
Emissions were reduced in accordance to EU-1 regulations by an air intake system (AIS). Total weight was reduced to 175 kg."

There were many more changes made to the 5pw - if you want a different experience, that would probably be a better choice.

I also get the impression that some of the internal changes may have been rolled out during the last year of the 4xv, which is not that unusual with a new model. My 1999 bike has the same shift mechanism as the 5jj, and also doesn't have the top end hit that others refer to - it pulls very hard and smoothly through the midrange.

I'd keep the 4xv - they will be a classic, if not already, and even though there are heaps around, the good ones are only going to increase in value from here. Plus they are such a fun bike to ride!
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

theyre both awesome bikes - just try & get a mint standard one and youll not go far wrong :)

ride as much & often as ya can
Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Mark YPVS
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: YZF R1 2006

Post by Mark YPVS »

Both cracking bikes , i had a 5jj new , now have a 5pw, there are 150 differences between the 4xv and 5jj , good old video from men and motors ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD5J8-HMfy4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark :D
Im not overweight im under height !!
AliCat
Lurker

Post by AliCat »

Thanks a lot for the unexpected welcome, buddies, and for all your advice (including all the way from NZ too, cheers, CarsonR6).

I'm now leaning towards keeping the 4xv.... you're so right, Moise, it certainly is fun to ride (for first 100 miles anyway)! Just fancied a change - and yeah, weeksy, although the 4 is pretty, I do like the sharper looks and titanium can on the 5jj.

I want to stick with the carbed models for now. I did have one or two missed gears when I first got it but maybe I was just cold and heavy footed, as It hasn't happened again since and I rode to South of France and back with no problems at all (except a seized shoulder ha ha).

Jompy, Cheers for all the info; Your streetfighter sounds ace. I'm not too bothered about the value aspect, though yeah, R1Clarky, wish I could afford both bikes. Interesting to know about the different shape seat on the 5jj; as I'm a short arse, that might be worth a try. The one for sale is quite a distance from me, but I might still take a look next weekend (Excel bike show tomoz, looking forward to seeing the 'speedblock' yellow R1). And nah, this is first time on forum (think I did visit once though, when I had a YZF750 with an EXUP 1000 engine).

Cheers Samr1 / Mark, good to connect.

PS bit of banter always welcome, Chappo lol.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Ali it's a real shame you couldn't afford to buy the 5jj and keep the 4xv for a little while , other than the midrange i don't think you'll notice a lot between them .
How long have you owned the 4xv ?
Get some pics posted up of it , we love pic's ;)
get yourself a free photobucket account & follow the idiots guide to posting pics from your pc
posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=10659
if you don't want to open a photobucket account then an alternative is go to
http://tinypic.com/

1 - "choose file" and browse to the image you wish to upload from your PC
2 - In the "resize" drop down choose either 15" or 17" screen (15 is enough and fast too)
3 - Press "upload now" where it will ask you to type in a couple of words to confirm you are a human being and not an automated program.
4 - Once done copy the text from the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" field
5 - Then just paste it exactly as is in to your message.

or you can post direct from your not so smart phone using tapawank (tapatalk) it's great for posting pic's & notifications but wank for viewing the forum ;)
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

Was out for a ride today and had 3 slow vehicles to overtake. So I decided a little experiment was in order - changed down to 2nd and gave the throttle a good twist. f**k me, that was impressive - doing about 40 mph when I pulled out, hit 90 while I was passing the 3rd car! But no sudden power at 8k.

1999 4xv in blue
jompy

Post by jompy »

That's interesting Moise :think:
Thing is you don't know what's been done to your bike over the years
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:That's interesting Moise :think:
Thing is you don't know what's been done to your bike over the years
And the needle jets are probably worn after 50,000 miles!

1999 4xv in blue
jompy

Post by jompy »

4xv's were known for their mental ( at the time) hit
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:4xv's were known for their mental ( at the time) hit
Yeah, I am disappointed. Mind you, the mid range on mine is mental, which is really what you use more on the road. I was following a TL1000 for a while yesterday, and I could easily keep up when overtaking without changing down.

1999 4xv in blue
jompy

Post by jompy »

i recon your right about them updating the carbs on the 99
AliCat
Lurker

Post by AliCat »

Jompy,

I've had the 4xv about a year now, but stashed away for winter. After great advice from you guys, I've decided the solution is definitely to keep it and get a 5jj as well when I can afford it (plan B - blag a test ride on one, though I'd probably end up buying it anyway heh).

I'll post some pics of the 4xv once I've read the idiots guide. Ali
hash29
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: yamaha r1 2014

Post by hash29 »

welcome aboard , I'd say stick with what you have, better resale value blah blah, most all has been covered.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Moise
Donator
Donator

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:i recon your right about them updating the carbs on the 99
I'd like to know what was changed, but I haven't found anything definite on the internet. The 99 4xv and the 5jj have the same carbs and jets, but the carb assembiles have different part numbers.

1999 4xv in blue