Pedro3178
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 2008
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi from Scotland

Post by Pedro3178 »

Hello everybody! Only recently purchased a 2008 R1 . Had a car license for many years and always wanted a bike but felt I was to immature and would seriously hurt myself or someone else! Anyway, as time went on I promised myself before I was 40 I would pass my bike test and that’s exactly what I did. That was 2 years ago now and since passing I had a Suzuki SV650S. My partner new I wanted to upgrade so gave me money for my birthday, so traded in the Suzuki and now have the R1. I am by no means an experienced rider imo so will be taking it easy and getting used to the bike. Must say took me a bit to get used to the engine screaming like it wanted to change gear to then realise it’s only a 2.5K revs :lol:

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Re: Hi from Scotland

Post by R1Clarky »

Welcome in m8, enjoy the new aaar1 as u say take yer time- remember ya cant win the race on the 1st lap also get some pics up when ya can & enjoy the forum

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Pedro3178
Donator
Donator

Post by Pedro3178 »

Thank you for the welcome. Here she is, not the best pics so apologies for that.

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Peter
Hope you enjoy the 4c8 and the forum .
I can see the nice cans , has it got a power commander or has it been remapped ?
If you think 2.5k is loud just wait to you get to 8k but hold on tight 😂
Pedro3178
Donator
Donator

Post by Pedro3178 »

^^ :lol:

The bike has had a D-cat and a Woolich racing tune, it came with Dyno documents. To be honest I have no clue on the racing tune ( benefits ) it’s got a link rod going from the gear pedal which has a Woolich logo on it and also a red button on left hand side beside horn :roll: No idea on that
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in Pedro.
Not the first Pedro called Peter on here and he rides a 4C8 too
Gorgeous bikes. Sounds like you’ve got a quick shifter on there!! The flash tune will release the restricted power and also makes it a much smoother ride if it’s been done half decent.
G.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

The new bike looks sweet and in the faster blue enjoy

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Vote for pedro
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: YZFR1 2007

Post by Vote for pedro »

Hello and welcome fellow Pedro
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Peter, you say you are not an experienced rider, your opening post shows that you are a very sensible rider

I joined biking at your age, started oh on 600’s and them moved onto R1’s and never looked back.

The 4c8 you have is a truly amazing R1 and I remember that heap in power when I set off on my first R1... and how powerful the brakes were compared to the wooden pads my Honda sported... and how fast she accelerated... unlike the 600 that would run out of steam... she kept pulling and pulling... wanting to rip my arms out of my sockets... amazing...

Welcome to our biking community, any questions just ask

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Welcome New Pedro. Bikes sorted with a flash massive improvement over standard👍👍.nice akros always liked the oval cans. As stumpy says if you think it’s loud at 2.5k wait til the motor in the Airbox moves the stacks at about 10k the induction roar is intoxicating.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:Welcome New Pedro. Bikes sorted with a flash massive improvement over standardImageImage.nice akros always liked the oval cans. As stumpy says if you think it’s loud at 2.5k wait til the motor in the Airbox moves the stacks at about 10k the induction roar is intoxicating.
I’ll second that...

And they do 100mph plus in first ImageImageImage

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi Peter and welcome mate.

That is one seriously quick bike you have there. I'm sure you will take it easy and learn the bike. New bikes take a few thousand miles to sort out and learn property i find.

Doing some track days is a good Idea with a bit of tuition. We can all benefit from that.

Good luck with your new bike and I'm glad you bought a R1, there are those that own an R1 and those that wish they did

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Pedro3178
Donator
Donator

Post by Pedro3178 »

Thank you very much guys for such a warm welcome! I took her out early this morning on a visit, got a long quiet straight and opened her up a bit :o I hope nobody finds my pants as they blew out the back of my trousers :lol: Some serious learning required on this bike! Will be sure to take it easy and keep learning on each ride.

This is what is on the bike ...

This was also in with the booklet...

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

polar wrote:Hi Peter and welcome mate.

That is one seriously quick bike you have there. I'm sure you will take it easy and learn the bike. New bikes take a few thousand miles to sort out and learn property i find.

Doing some track days is a good Idea with a bit of tuition. We can all benefit from that.

Good luck with your new bike and I'm glad you bought a R1, there are those that own an R1 and those that wish they didImageImage

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Mark... there is a third type of person you forgot ...

Those that don’t have a clue ImageImageImageImage

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Peter as Mark says, and you clearly know, your new bike presents a new learning curve for you, get to know her, how she handles, her to understand her language... by that I mean, if you tune into your R1, she will talk to you.., but in R1 speak... you need to learn it...

For example, if I get a little slide, it’s the bike saying you me “steady on old boy, it’s a tad slippy, back off a bit”

When her rear tyre digs in as you exit the corner she is saying “we can go a bit faster here”

When toy get feedback from the front brake “yes I’m going to stop”

The feedback these bikes give you is amazing, through the bars, pegs, seat of your pants.... they were.. if they could have been... using a saying from my grandad.... vaccinated with a gramophone needle.... they will chat to you all day long if you care to listen to them....

They truly are amazing bikes, and your 4c8 is IMHO the best ever looking R1 period !

Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:50 am Peter as Mark says, and you clearly know, your new bike presents a new learning curve for you, get to know her, how she handles, her to understand her language... by that I mean, if you tune into your R1, she will talk to you.., but in R1 speak... you need to learn it...

For example, if I get a little slide, it’s the bike saying you me “steady on old boy, it’s a tad slippy, back off a bit”

When her rear tyre digs in as you exit the corner she is saying “we can go a bit faster here”

The feedback these bikes give you is amazing, through the bars, pegs, seat of your pants.... they were.. if they could have been... using a saying from my grandad.... vaccinated with a gramophone needle.... they will chat to you all day long if you care to listen to them....

They truly are amazing bikes, and your 4c8 is IMHO the best ever looking R1 period !

ImageImage

Calm down old man! When you get” a little slide” Vicky takes over and shouts steady on granddad. You forget we that haven’t yet progressed beyond the 4c8 don’t have quite the electronic trickery to help us control a little slide.
So ignore pops Pedro ride steady get used to the bike and remember easy on the throttle Out of the bends or the b1tch will get you!
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Pedro3178 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 am Thank you very much guys for such a warm welcome! I took her out early this morning on a visit, got a long quiet straight and opened her up a bit :o I hope nobody finds my pants as they blew out the back of my trousers :lol: Some serious learning required on this bike! Will be sure to take it easy and keep learning on each ride.

So shifter fitted - yes?
What happened when you gritted your teeth and hit the red button? :D
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Hi from Scotland

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:50 am Peter as Mark says, and you clearly know, your new bike presents a new learning curve for you, get to know her, how she handles, her to understand her language... by that I mean, if you tune into your R1, she will talk to you.., but in R1 speak... you need to learn it...

ImageImage

Calm down old man! When you get” a little slide” Vicky takes over and shouts steady on granddad. You forget we that haven’t yet progressed beyond the 4c8 don’t have quite the electronic trickery to help us control a little slide.
So ignore pops Pedro ride steady get used to the bike and remember easy on the throttle Out of the bends or the b1tch will get you!
Well Julia... you clearly don’t talk to your 4c8...

Vicky the 5vy, Vicky the 4c8, Vicky the blue 14b, Vicky the white 14b, Vicky the anniversary 14be all had similar levels of feedback that were interpreted as I described above.

Vicky the R1M has a slightly different language, you don’t notice the slide as much rather her correcting your error... but you are aware of it, just not as directly, you do feel her rear tyre bite, you go get the same feeling through the brakes.... so yes the signs are there if you want to interpret them...

Perhaps I’m more in tune with my bikes Image

On the other hand....

I could just be mad Image.... I could have a blue R1....

..... just a minute ImageImage

Pedro3178
Donator
Donator

Post by Pedro3178 »

Horus-222_R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm
Pedro3178 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 am Thank you very much guys for such a warm welcome! I took her out early this morning on a visit, got a long quiet straight and opened her up a bit :o I hope nobody finds my pants as they blew out the back of my trousers :lol: Some serious learning required on this bike! Will be sure to take it easy and keep learning on each ride.

So shifter fitted - yes?
What happened when you gritted your teeth and hit the red button? :D
I haven’t actually tried it yet. When I asked the dealer what the button was for , I was told it was a warm up button, whatever that is?? I tried to look it up and could only find a pit lane limiter that looked similar, basically I have no clue what the red button does :lol:
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I was going to say it was your hazard lights... but then I realised you meant the round red button below it to the side....

Sorry mate, I’m clueless.... but there is nothing new there.... apparently my bikes talk to me ... And DanF1 (aka Julia) thinks I’ve lost it quite what I’ve lost I haven’t a clue.... but that might be my age

Hope you don’t mind our sense of humour on here, we all get in really well together

Pedro3178
Donator
Donator

Post by Pedro3178 »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:56 pm I was going to say it was your hazard lights... but then I realised you meant the round red button below it to the side....

Sorry mate, I’m clueless.... but there is nothing new there.... apparently my bikes talk to me Image... And DanF1 (aka Julia) thinks I’ve lost it Image quite what I’ve lost I haven’t a clue.... but that might be my age Image

Hope you don’t mind our sense of humour on here, we all get in really well together ImageImage

Not at all, the more humour the better! I was half expecting someone to say , “ never ever press the red button Peter “ :lol:
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 pm
Danf1 wrote:

ImageImage

Vicky the 5vy, Vicky the 4c8, Vicky the blue 14b, Vicky the white 14b, Vicky the anniversary 14be all had similar levels of feedback that were interpreted as I described above.

Vicky the R1M has a slightly different language, you don’t notice the slide as much rather her correcting your error... but you are aware of it, just not as directly, you do feel her rear tyre bite, you go get the same feeling through the brakes.... so yes the signs are there if you want to interpret them...

On the other hand....

The flashed 4c8 is a different animal to the standard one Steve it tends to build power very quickly (much faster than the pc3 setup).My original bike was always quite docile until about 8k but now you have to be more careful with the throttle from 3k. I was only trying to make our newbie aware of the flash, and maybe just winding you up a tad after all Clarky needs a rest!
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

I was listening to a couple of people talk about the warm up button , apparently it's a racing thing that has been picked up by the track day boys , i think it was r1mike on about it , instead of sitting there in the paddock manically revving your bike to warm it up now they have a button to raise the revs on the bike to deafen everyboddy in the paddock , i can't remember if it just raises the revs or if revs the bike up , maybe they'll make one that bounces the needle off the rev limiter for all the other twats out there 😂
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Hi from Scotland

Post by Steve R1 »

Danf1 wrote:
Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 pm
Danf1 wrote:

ImageImage

On the other hand....

The flashed 4c8 is a different animal to the standard one Steve it tends to build power very quickly (much faster than the pc3 setup).My original bike was always quite docile until about 8k but now you have to be more careful with the throttle from 3k. I was only trying to make our newbie aware of the flash, and maybe just winding you up a tad after all Clarky needs a rest!
There you go Julian.... who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricksImageImage...me in my simple none mechanical mind, always thought a flash was similar to the custom map on a PCIII, I stand corrected Sir ... and I’m not being sarcastic mate, I really did think they were the same. Image

Peter I wasn’t suggesting you go out creating slides from the off... you really don’t want to be doing that at all, I was just trying to say, not very effectively, as you get to know your bike, over time, you will pick up what she tells you about what’s going on underneath you, that’s all... my hondas were mute compared to my R1’s, that’s what I like about R1’s. Yes the go fast, very very fast, but only as fast as your right hand dictates, as peeps have said, and perhaps I took for granted, take your time, learn the bike, get to know how she handles and ride in a gear higher than you would do normally, that way the ballistic power won’t bite you in the bum.... I think that’s the advice Julian (DabF1 aka Julia) was saying ImageImage

Paulos
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: 2019 R1

Post by Paulos »

Dont press the red button :mrgreen:

Who gets the reference??