New to the forum? Then say hello here
Dre77
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello from South Africa

Post by Dre77 »

Hello all, this is Andre from South Africa. I recently purchased my first R1. It's a 2007 and bought it from a mate. Enjoying it immensely as well as learning and tinkering with it a bit. I also have a 2006 Kawasaki Zx10r. That's it from me for now. Cheers Andre

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Re: Hello from South Africa

Post by R1Clarky »

Welcome in andre

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to our biking community Andre , where in South Africa are you, I have family near Johannesburg .

Post up some pics of your bike when you can, we love pics on here.

We would also be interested to know how your R1 compares with your ZX10R, we are mad about all bones on here... even Hondas...

So welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Alright Bru 👍
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in André.
Yeah which part of SA mate?
How you doing with no alcohol? :shock: Just fine I guess if you’ve got your first R1 to play with. ;)
Enjoy.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Horus-222_R1 wrote:Welcome in André.
How you doing with no alcohol? :shock: Just fine I guess if you’ve got your first R1 to play with. ;)
Enjoy.
You can buy alcohol in South Africa from tomorrow (1st June) Garry .... my sister told me this afternoon ImageImage

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

R1Clarky wrote:Welcome in andre Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thanks budImage

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

Steve R1 wrote:Welcome to our biking community Andre , where in South Africa are you, I have family near Johannesburg .

Post up some pics of your bike when you can, we love pics on here.

We would also be interested to know how your R1 compares with your ZX10R, we are mad about all bones on here... even Hondas...

So welcome

Stephen ImageImage

Thanks Stephen. I'm in South of Johannesburg. The R1 has a power commander and gutted standard pipes, the rest is stock. It runs very well, I just want to change the pipes..its too quiet. The zx10r has gas flowed head, arata motogp style pipe and not sure what other engine mods but it's a real beast. I must say that the ride is more comfortable on the r1 than the zx10r. I've attached a picture of the two of them.Image

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

jompy wrote:Alright Bru Image
SweetImage

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

Horus-222_R1 wrote:Welcome in André.
Enjoy.
Thanks budImageI'm in Johannesburg South. I've survived this far without beer which has been challenging thankfully I had a bit of other harder stock to get me throughImage

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Bikes looking good , I’m guessing the cat has been removed. I used to do quite a lot of work with the police when I had my 4c8, rode with them a lot, the officers who knew me also knew the bike, but one day another bike cop joined us, he said... you bike is rather loud.... the sergeant replied before I could say anything ... yeah he said... the engine rattles like hell.... it’s the only time the noise the bike made has been commented on. I wouldn’t mind, she used to pass a quiet track day 102 dB e with her baffles removed....

My sister is in Benoni

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

Steve R1 wrote:Bikes looking good , I’m guessing the cat has been removed. I used to do quite a lot of work with the police when I had my 4c8, rode with them a lot, the officers who knew me also knew the bike, but one day another bike cop joined us, he said... you bike is rather loud.... the sergeant replied before I could say anything ... yeah he said... the engine rattles like hell.... it’s the only time the noise the bike made has been commented on. I wouldn’t mind, she used to pass a quiet track day 102 dB e with her baffles removed....

My sister is in Benoni ImageImage

Thanks SteveImage I think the cat is still there, the pipes are still stock besides the gutting of the cans. I wanted to ask on the forum but maybe you would know. There is a guy here selling a set of two brothers cans and linking pipes at a very good price for the big bang 2009 to 2014. I know it's not a direct bolt on but would it take a lot of modifications for them to fit on my 2007? Would it be worth the modifications?

Cool, your sister stays on the East Rand, not that far from the South.Image

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Sorry, I’m not the one to ask re the fitting of a 14b link pipe to a 4c8, but I’d you post up a new topic in the 4c8 section someone will know if it can be done or how to do it.

What I do know is you need to ditch the cat, the heat from it was uncomfortable in our UK summers, it would be unbearable in yours ...

Was talking to my sister the other day via zoom... we were in shorts and tees, her and her husband had wooly jumpers on... we checked temperatures... it was actually one degree warmer in SA.... so I guess what’s warm to us is cool to you

Good luck with the question

jompy

Post by jompy »

As far as i'm aware the 4c8 exhaust is different to the 14b , the lads with the 4c8's were always complaining about how hard to get hold of and how expensive the 4c8 aftermarket bits were , get yourself a de-cat pipe and get rid or the power commander and the bike remapped instead 👍
Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

Steve R1 wrote:Sorry, I’m not the one to ask re the fitting of a 14b link pipe to a 4c8, but I’d you post up a new topic in the 4c8 section someone will know if it can be done or how to do it.

What I do know is you need to ditch the cat, the heat from it was uncomfortable in our UK summers, it would be unbearable in yours ...

Was talking to my sister the other day via zoom... we were in shorts and tees, her and her husband had wooly jumpers on... we checked temperatures... it was actually one degree warmer in SA.... so I guess what’s warm to us is cool to you ImageImage

Good luck with the question Image

Thanks Steve, I'll post the question on the forum.

I remember about 20 years ago my wife's cousin got married to a guy from the UK. They had there wedding here in July which is full blown winter. His family came here for the wedding and they were swimming and walking around in shorts and t shirts. We were all dressed in our warm winter clothes as the temperatures were in the teens. I still recall them saying it was summer weather to them..I still think they were crazy!Image

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

jompy wrote:As far as i'm aware the 4c8 exhaust is different to the 14b , the lads with the 4c8's were always complaining about how hard to get hold of and how expensive the 4c8 aftermarket bits were , get yourself a de-cat pipe and get rid or the power commander and the bike remapped instead Image
Thanks mate, aftermarket exhausts are expensive for this bike. Is the PC useless that you say I should dump it ?

jompy

Post by jompy »

Dre77 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:12 pm
jompy wrote:As far as i'm aware the 4c8 exhaust is different to the 14b , the lads with the 4c8's were always complaining about how hard to get hold of and how expensive the 4c8 aftermarket bits were , get yourself a de-cat pipe and get rid or the power commander and the bike remapped instead Image
Thanks mate, aftermarket exhausts are expensive for this bike. Is the PC useless that you say I should dump it ?

the PC isn't useless mate but you'll get a hell of a lot more from a Remap/flash , all the info is in the velox racing section of the forum .
Basically the PC bypasses the ECU's fulling map and changes it for the one that you've put on the PC , a lot of people say that Dynajets own PC maps are crap , the remap/flash rewrites the ECU removing all the "Euro@ restrictions , you can alter the timing , fueling and you can even lift the throttle restrictions that the frist 3 gears have , the first 3 gears on the 4c8 are restricted to 80% throttle from the factory . You end up with a smoother more efficient machince , no more of the lag wjen twisting the throttle of a standard bike and the bonus is you get an animal , Ask Danf1 about his .
r1Mike who owns the forum and Velox racing does a mail in service , again look in the velox section or as Danf1 👍
Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

jompy wrote:
Dre77 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:12 pm

the PC isn't useless mate but you'll get a hell of a lot more from a Remap/flash , all the info is in the velox racing section of the forum .
Basically the PC bypasses the ECU's fulling map and changes it for the one that you've put on the PC , a lot of people say that Dynajets own PC maps are crap , the remap/flash rewrites the ECU removing all the "Euro@ restrictions , you can alter the timing , fueling and you can even lift the throttle restrictions that the frist 3 gears have , the first 3 gears on the 4c8 are restricted to 80% throttle from the factory . You end up with a smoother more efficient machince , no more of the lag wjen twisting the throttle of a standard bike and the bonus is you get an animal , Ask Danf1 about his .
r1Mike who owns the forum and Velox racing does a mail in service , again look in the velox section or as Danf1 Image
Thanks for this! I'll definitely go check the velox section!

Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:35 pm we are mad about all bones on here...

🤔🤔😳😳
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

HI Andre and welcome to the forum, nice couple of bikes there - funny how 1 is never enough. I have two but if i had the room i would have more :lol: :lol:

Remap all the way if you can find somewhere to do it for you? A power commander is ok but defo second option.

What year is the ZX10? I road tested the original 2004/5 ZX10 when it came out - i thought it was mental, funny how what seemed mental then seems no so mental now :o :lol:
Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

polar wrote:HI Andre and welcome to the forum, nice couple of bikes there - funny how 1 is never enough. I have two but if i had the room i would have more Image Image

Remap all the way if you can find somewhere to do it for you? A power commander is ok but defo second option.

What year is the ZX10? I road tested the original 2004/5 ZX10 when it came out - i thought it was mental, funny how what seemed mental then seems no so mental now :o Image
Thanks Polar. I agree 100%. I sold my 2010 Honda CB1000R earlier this year to buy the R1. If it was financially feasible I would have kept it too. The Zx10r is a 2006, it's my baby and the one bike I definitely won't get rid of..the R1 feels like it may end up being the sameImage

Dre77
Lurker

Post by Dre77 »

Dre77 wrote:
polar wrote:HI Andre and welcome to the forum, nice couple of bikes there - funny how 1 is never enough. I have two but if i had the room i would have more Image Image

What year is the ZX10? I road tested the original 2004/5 ZX10 when it came out - i thought it was mental, funny how what seemed mental then seems no so mental now :o Image
Thanks Polar. I agree 100%. I sold my 2010 Honda CB1000R earlier this year to buy the R1. If it was financially feasible I would have kept it too. The Zx10r is a 2006, it's my baby and the one bike I definitely won't get rid of..the R1 feels like it may end up being the sameImage

I'm definitely going to see if I can find someone to do the remapping, thanks for thatImage

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I made the mistake of selling my second bike an R6 about 4 years ago, regretted it ever since

It was the right decision at the time and she went to a good home, Bub on here, it’s lust that I’d like to have the choice again of which bike to ride..... I’d have another R6 tomorrow... but now I’m retired it’s impossible to convince Joan I need two bikes...

We live and learn