New to the forum? Then say hello here
Jonesyj90
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha yzf r1 5vy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie for the yams

Post by Jonesyj90 »

I I’m new to riding names Lewis, from Essex 30 years of age !!! New to owning a yamImage
been riding 8 years on the, gsxr 1000, an rc8r ktm, manage to see a fairly cheap 2005 r1 with 30,000 on the clock ImageImage yes I no high miles but she’s looks in very good condition. A few pictures belowImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Newbie for the yams

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Lewis
Hope you enjoy the forum and your new 5vy 👍
30k isn't that high millage , i did 75k on my 4xv before a bit off aluminium killed it ( probably my fault) Moise has got 75k on his ( is that miles or KM Moise ? ) and the little stormtrooper (SteveR1) put 65k on his 5vy in 3 years before he sold it , it's all about sericing them regularly and looking after them 👌
Looks a clean tidy bike :clap:
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:Welcome in Lewis
Hope you enjoy the forum and your new 5vy Image
30k isn't that high millage , i did 75k on my 4xv before a bit off aluminium killed it ( probably my fault) Moise has got 75k on his ( is that miles or KM Moise ? ) and the little stormtrooper (SteveR1) put 65k on his 5vy in 3 years before he sold it , it's all about sericing them regularly and looking after them Image
That's miles Jompy. I do the conversion because I realise how much trouble you all have with km, otherwise you would have changed over years ago. :)

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking bike and in the fastest colour.

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
jompy

Post by jompy »

Moise wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 am
jompy wrote:Welcome in Lewis
Hope you enjoy the forum and your new 5vy Image
30k isn't that high millage , i did 75k on my 4xv before a bit off aluminium killed it ( probably my fault) Moise has got 75k on his ( is that miles or KM Moise ? ) and the little stormtrooper (SteveR1) put 65k on his 5vy in 3 years before he sold it , it's all about sericing them regularly and looking after them Image
That's miles Jompy. I do the conversion because I realise how much trouble you all have with km, otherwise you would have changed over years ago. :)

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking bike and in the fastest colour.
:lol: thanks :whistle:
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Lewis, that’s a beautiful looking 5vy you have and as jompy aka the chimp or Joy.... it’s a long story... says, 30k miles isn’t high, as the cleaver monkey says, it’s about servicing and cleaning / general maintenance.

These bikes are well built and will put live the Duracell bunny if treated with care.

Enjoy your new bike, they really are amazing

And thank you for an excellent opening post... with pictures too

Welcome

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the group iv had a few hours read through the forum some great things learned already. So glad iv seen some of you having r1 with high miles also, as I did want to do a few things to the engine but didn’t no how it would cope, it has a k and n air filter, also a akapovic exhaust with decat, was thinking a power commander 5 or I have been reading the 05 model may be able to be mapped by a flash ? Any links for more advice or is there anything I’m missing to help the bike to it’s full potential.

Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Lewis, I had a PCIII on my 4c8 with a custom map however Julian on here(DanF1) has had his flashed and knows all about them, what he has done to his bike has opened up far more options for him than a PCII or PCV could do.

Jompy will also be along to advise

Also Flash tunes can be got from MikeR1 on here who owns velox racing and knows everything there is to know about tuning

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

Welcome in pal, lovely looking bike in the best colour

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

R1Clarky wrote:Welcome in pal, lovely looking bike in the best colour ImageImageImage

Why am I not surprised you said that Image

Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

Steve R1 wrote:Lewis, I had a PCIII on my 4c8 with a custom map however Julian on here(DanF1) has had his flashed and knows all about them, what he has done to his bike has opened up far more options for him than a PCII or PCV could do.

Also Flash tunes can be got from MikeR1 on here who owns velox racing and knows everything there is to know about tuning

ImageImage

Thanks Steve for the information, since my last post my friend who does track days has recommended me to a company in Colchester called seton tuning, so he wants to have my bike for a couple of days and do a custom flash tune, he hasn’t done any on the 2005 model so don’t have a base map to start from so he will use my bike as a trial one I guess, seems to no his stuff just by talking briefly on the phone although he did say getting these set up are not as good as the 2007 he said my bikes more like the Nokia 3310 and the 2007 are like the iPhones, but apart from that I can’t wait :) I’m going to have a little strip down tomorrow see if it has a upgraded air filter and how dirty or clean it is. Seeing how it goes from there I might attempted a spark plug change ImageImage

Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

R1Clarky wrote:Welcome in pal, lovely looking bike in the best colour ImageImageImage

Hi R1Clarky thanks mate Yh she looks nice, I was after a all black but this come up at a good price. It’s a 2005 55 plate, 28,500 miles, 4 owners full service up to 2016 then apparently he done the service himself but his only done 4,000 miles in them years. I only paid £3100 so dunno if that’s a good deal but for me it didn’t break the bank to much I didn’t wanna spend big money on another bike for it to just sit when the rest in the garage Image

R1Clarky
Donator
Donator

Post by R1Clarky »

Steve R1 wrote:

Why am I not surprised you said that Image

ImageImage I'm predictable aren't i ImageImage

jompy

Post by jompy »

Jonesyj90 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:13 pm
Steve R1 wrote:Lewis, I had a PCIII on my 4c8 with a custom map however Julian on here(DanF1) has had his flashed and knows all about them, what he has done to his bike has opened up far more options for him than a PCII or PCV could do.

ImageImage

Thanks Steve for the information, since my last post my friend who does track days has recommended me to a company in Colchester called seton tuning, so he wants to have my bike for a couple of days and do a custom flash tune, he hasn’t done any on the 2005 model so don’t have a base map to start from so he will use my bike as a trial one I guess, seems to no his stuff just by talking briefly on the phone although he did say getting these set up are not as good as the 2007 he said my bikes more like the Nokia 3310 and the 2007 are like the iPhones, but apart from that I can’t wait :) I’m going to have a little strip down tomorrow see if it has a upgraded air filter and how dirty or clean it is. Seeing how it goes from there I might attempted a spark plug change ImageImage

The 5vy can be flashed but most places don't bother with them because they're not flyby wire so you can't do a lot more with a flash than you can do with a Power Commander .
Looks like you have it sorted with Seton 👍
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:19 pm

ImageImage

The 5vy can be flashed but most places don't bother with them because they're not flyby wire so you can't do a lot more with a flash than you can do with a Power Commander .
Can it?
jompy

Post by jompy »

Danf1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 pm

ImageImage

Can it?
Yes it can
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

jompy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:42 pm
Danf1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 pm

ImageImage

Can it?
Yes it can
Oh ok 🤷🏻‍♂️
Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

jompy wrote:

ImageImage

Looks like you have it sorted with Seton Image
Hi jompy, do you mean most places don’t flash as it’s quicker and easier to map one with a pcv obviously takes more time with a flash yet still get the same result, yes my mates pal is sorting me out it’s just good to hear other story’s and opinions booked in for two weeks time, I no my pal wouldn’t send me to someone he don’t trust but I’m going to go to seton tubing to meet the bloke early next week for a chat before hand. Il keep you all updated along the route I take :)

jompy

Post by jompy »

Jonesyj90 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 pm
jompy wrote:

ImageImage

Hi jompy, do you mean most places don’t flash as it’s quicker and easier to map one with a pcv obviously takes more time with a flash yet still get the same result, yes my mates pal is sorting me out it’s just good to hear other story’s and opinions booked in for two weeks time, I no my pal wouldn’t send me to someone he don’t trust but I’m going to go to seton tubing to meet the bloke early next week for a chat before hand. Il keep you all updated along the route I take :)

It's to do with the software , places like flashtune didn't write the software to include the 5vy because power commanders were already made for the 5vy ( Nokia 3110 ) and did more or less the same thing where as with the 4c8 ( smartphone ) onwards think off the flash of adding google play or the app store .
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Jonesyj90 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 pm
jompy wrote:

ImageImage

The flash on the 4c8 is necessary because it’s the first r1 with a fly by wire throttle so the ecu actually controls much more than you’d think. This wasn’t the case with your bike and its not locked like the later bikes. That’s why a pc5 can sort your fuelling needs easily. I wasn’t aware that a 5vy needed or benefited from a flash not being restricted. But I’m learning new things tonight and from our resident chimp 😁Seton has a good reputation from what I’ve read.
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator

Post by R1Clarky »

Wtf i think that analogy just about works jompster m8

Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

R1Clarky wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 pm Wtf ImageImage i think that analogy just about works jompster m8

All I got was blah blah blah but then you two always did lick the same windows 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

I’m totally confused... which doesn’t tame much I know...

Clearly my posts are causing confusion and well... I don’t know

I’m going to bow out for a while and stay quiet....

Let things get back to normal

Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

So the 5vy is that going to gain any extra ponies ? When flashed will this help the ride, smoother throttle response, it hunts a bit at idle but when I put one hand over one of the exhausts it levels it’s self out, I’m booked in regardless now anyway, it be good just to have the bike checked and dyno anyway, but it does get me a little excited if it gains a few bhp, there was so much to do on my 08 gsxr, not to much on the rc8r though, I’m still learning by far this has the best pull

Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Jonesyj90 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:25 pm So the 5vy is that going to gain any extra ponies ? When flashed will this help the ride, smoother throttle response, it hunts a bit at idle but when I put one hand over one of the exhausts it levels it’s self out, I’m booked in regardless now anyway, it be good just to have the bike checked and dyno anyway, but it does get me a little excited if it gains a few bhp, there was so much to do on my 08 gsxr, not to much on the rc8r though, I’m still learning by far this has the best pull Image

Setting a bike up on a dyno should always be better than standard regardless of weather it’s a pc5 or flash needed on your bike I’m sure he will sort you out.
Jonesyj90
Been Here a While

Post by Jonesyj90 »

Oh 100% like I said my pal wouldn’t send me his way of not and his build a few of my friends bikes and they have been very tasty on the track