Newbie for the yams

New to the forum? Then say hello here
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: Newbie for the yams

Post by jompy »

Steve R1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:22 pm I’m totally confused... which doesn’t tame much I know...

Clearly my posts are causing confusion and well... I don’t know

I’m going to bow out for a while and stay quiet....

Let things get back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 5vy can be flashed but the flash will only do about the same as a pc
The 4c8 onwards gains a lot more from a flash than a pc

jompy

Post by jompy »

Jonesyj90
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha yzf r1 5vy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonesyj90 »

Just watching a few videos online of some upgrades and I can see the hid kits looks nice in bright white, has anyone else done this and done main and dip beam, if so 35w or 55w and best place to buy long lasting ones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Sorry I don’t doo pointless bling it’s a superbike not a Sindy doll. :whistle: :?
Jonesyj90
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha yzf r1 5vy
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jonesyj90 »

Nothing worse than the back roads at night with crappy lights, iv always upgraded my bulbs but the Phillip ones I buy are £20 a bulb I see you can buy both kits for £60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Post by Boz »

Pointless having HID lights fitted as they'll have no E mark, fail the MOT, and could blind other road users!

MOT rules state:
'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

I use Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs in my 4C8, plenty bright enough for me at night!
Live life in the fastish lane
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Boz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 am Pointless having HID lights fitted as they'll have no E mark, fail the MOT, and could blind other road users!

MOT rules state:
'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

I use Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs in my 4C8, plenty bright enough for me at night!
Are they the standard wattage Boz I don’t even know what’s standard on the 4c8. My Transit custom had pretty sh!t lights i popped in some Halfords own 150% brighter ones (same wattage white light) and it’s made my drive home much safer and no one is flashing at me so they must be ok.
jompy

Post by jompy »

Boz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 am Pointless having HID lights fitted as they'll have no E mark, fail the MOT, and could blind other road users!

MOT rules state:

Well something else i didn't know , thanks 👍
Danf1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:33 am
Boz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 am Pointless having HID lights fitted as they'll have no E mark, fail the MOT, and y blind other road users!

MOT rules state:

Are they the standard wattage Boz I don’t even know what’s standard on the 4c8. My Transit custom had pretty sh!t lights i popped in some Halfords own 150% brighter ones (same wattage white light) and it’s made my drive home much safer and no one is flashing at me so they must be ok.
When i first got the Half-one the after market headlight was sh!te so i did the 150% or was it the 120% brighter bulb thing and it was great , still didn't stop the headlights from moving up and down though :lol:
Boz
Donator
Donator

Post by Boz »

Danf1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:33 am

MOT rules state:

Yep same sort of thing mate 130% more light, I used the H7 version fitting for the 4C8, been on the bike for a few years now! They still point straight on when you go round bends though!! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972X ... 143&sr=8-1
Boz
Donator
Donator

Post by Boz »

Oh forgot, standard headlight bulbs are 12v 55w, mess about with higher wattage it will bugger the wiring up!
Danf1
Donator
Donator

Post by Danf1 »

Boz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:03 pm Oh forgot, standard headlight bulbs are 12v 55w, mess about with higher wattage it will bugger the wiring up!
Plenty of choice then at 55w.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

I have the Philips plus 150 bulbs in the car. Much better than the Osram plus bulbs that I'd fitted last time.

I am tempted to try some H4 LED bulbs in the 4xv. They are also illegal in NZ, but I have heard very good things from people who've fitted them. With good quality bulbs, the beam pattern doesn't change, so should be OK for other drivers.

I've found some online designed for motorbikes with smaller heatsinks than usual.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue