Post Here for Ride Outs and meets anywhere in England
Pilly
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: R1 (5JJ)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nice places around West Midlands?

Post by Pilly »

So, I’m based in sedgley West Midlands and Looking for somewhere decent to go for a ride today as only end up going to quatt 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️
I need somewhere pretty local (40mile radius) and loos (not the peeing in the bushes type) is a must at my age 😂
Any suggestions please?

polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Re: Nice places around West Midlands?

Post by polar »

Pilly wrote:So, I’m based in sedgley West Midlands and Looking for somewhere decent to go for a ride today as only end up going to quatt ImageImage
I need somewhere pretty local (40mile radius) and loos (not the peeing in the bushes type) is a must at my age Image
Any suggestions please?
Quatt o dear!

Go straight past the Quatt turning and carry on to craven arms down the fast b roads. When you get there you have the supermarket toilets or turn right at supermarket and the station Caffè is just up the road.

Remember on the road to craven arms when you to Morville take the left fork otherwise its a straight windy road if you know what I mean.

From craven you can turn round and come back the way you came. Then back to Sedgley.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

If you want a really nice ride you can take the join the A458 to welshpool , i used to come down the A38 from derby and then take the A5 to telford and join the M54 at telford but thats well out the way for you . I'd take the A458 to welshpool road and then the A438 to follow that through Newtownand then the A489-A470 ( just follow the signs to llangurig its more or less straight) to llangurig . Here you can either stay on the A470 fast twisties to Ryhdar and even to Bilth Wells which is a lovely town or take the A44 Valley road to Aberystwyth which is one of my favorites for twisties , just watch the never ending corner and definately slow down for the villages . You can then head to the prom in Aberystwyth for free bike parking while it lasts and see if PJ's dinner is open for a cuppa ( don't think it was open the other week )
Some great roads 👍 I met Jen while she was living in Aberystwyth .
jompy

Post by jompy »

Or you could stick to the 40mile radious , i didn't get carried away at all 🤔
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

jompy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:49 am If you want a really nice ride you can take the join the A458 to welshpool , i used to come down the A38 from derby and then take the A5 to telford and join the M54 at telford but thats well out the way for you . I'd take the A458 to welshpool road and then the A438 to follow that through Newtownand then the A489-A470 ( just follow the signs to llangurig its more or less straight) to llangurig . Here you can either stay on the A470 fast twisties to Ryhdar and even to Bilth Wells which is a lovely town or take the A44 Valley road to Aberystwyth which is one of my favorites for twisties , just watch the never ending corner and definately slow down for the villages . You can then head to the prom in Aberystwyth for free bike parking while it lasts and see if PJ's dinner is open for a cuppa ( don't think it was open the other week )
Some great roads 👍 I met Jen while she was living in Aberystwyth .
Gods country and my favorite roads bar none in mid Wales.

I ride 40 miles just to get onto the start of my favorite roads
mellorp23
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha TZ250

Post by mellorp23 »

polar wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:48 am
Pilly wrote:So, I’m based in sedgley West Midlands and Looking for somewhere decent to go for a ride today as only end up going to quatt ImageImage
I need somewhere pretty local (40mile radius) and loos (not the peeing in the bushes type) is a must at my age Image
Any suggestions please?
Quatt o dear!

Go straight past the Quatt turning and carry on to craven arms down the fast b roads.
Maybe not the best idea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-53544543
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Thank you for all your comments, I was worried about time & needing to get home to kids 🙄 but one of my older daughters had my youngest until this evening So, didn’t get out until 1ish and just got back, sad thing is I’ve only done 100miles - what a wetter 😩
But ended up at dinkies for some pop and a piddle (not at the same time 😂)
Lack of knowledge on places and anxiety combined with lack of my own riding confidence meant I went to somewhere I knew, I still enjoyed the ride ☺️
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Jompy - those sound like good roads, I’ve got a week kiddy free in September so I’ll take note of those as we are hoping to go to wales for a few rides that week.

Polar - I think I’ve only ever been to craven arms once in the whole 14 yrs I’ve been riding and that was because I followed a group there and I would happily ride 40-50miles to get to the start of a destination, met a guy at derby once just to ride around his area which was a good day out and ended up in Matlock before heading home

I’m not a confident rider and hate to feel I’m holding people up lol - I’m constantly getting bollocked by the hubby for myself moaning at him how slow I was or how I hold people up etc - he has confidence though lol
jompy

Post by jompy »

mellorp23 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm
Any suggestions please?
Quatt o dear!

Go straight past the Quatt turning and carry on to craven arms down the fast b roads.
Maybe not the best idea

:lol:
jompy

Post by jompy »

Pilly wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm Jompy - those sound like good roads, I’ve got a week kiddy free in September so I’ll take note of those as we are hoping to go to wales for a few rides that week.

Polar - I think I’ve only ever been to craven arms once in the whole 14 yrs I’ve been riding and that was because I followed a group there and I would happily ride 40-50miles to get to the start of a destination, met a guy at derby once just to ride around his area which was a good day out and ended up in Matlock before heading home

I’m not a confident rider and hate to feel I’m holding people up lol - I’m constantly getting bollocked by the hubby for myself moaning at him how slow I was or how I hold people up etc - he has confidence though lol
f**k everyone else , you ride for yourself ! If they're true friends they'll understand .
Anxiety is a nightmare ,All week i can be excited about going out for a ride on a saturday but come saturday i can get that horrible pit of the stomach feeling and i sack it off . My biggest problem now is i like to have a reason to ride and a destination and at the end of the day the wife and the dog are usually at home and they are my world .

Yes theres some really nice roads around mid wales , i wanted to video a 4 mile stretch to where Jen used to live but i didn't have an action cam at the time .

Another nice but steady ride is to Holmfirth where they filmed last of the summer wine . Get yourself to Ashborne and follow the A515 to Buxton and then take the A6 for a few miles , before Chapel Milton you take the A624 heading to glossop .In glossop you take the B6105 and as you pass the reservoir you take a right turn on to the A628 (woodhead pass ? )for a mile and then a left on to the A6024 up a hill , just as you crest the hill theres a radio tower on the left and a car park on the right that you can pull in to so you can enjoy the veiw and then laugh at people with immobilisers on there bikes because they can't get them started 😂 Then Ride in to holmefirth and you can stop off at the Old Bridge inn for a cuppa or theres a nice chippy that does beer battered fish and chips 👍
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

mellorp23 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm
Any suggestions please?
Quatt o dear!

Maybe not the best idea

its okay chap im not into caravans :lol: :lol:
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Jompy, I know exactly how you feel, Joan is my world, and riding opportunities now I don’t commute, are few and far between...

I totally agree that you should always... always.... ride for yourself....

My next door neighbour always had to ride with the fast guys... I only went out with him a couple of times... and thought... nah... I don’t need this...

Trying to keep up with the fast guys resulted in two bad accidents... if the bike in front of him overtook a vehicle... he would automatically follow... that made our rides slower... as I had to ensure, for every overtake... he could safely follow.... that was frustrating...

Anyway... one day... the guy in front overtook a bus... he followed... had a head on with a lorry... his bike was totalled.. he walked away with a scratch on his right hand...he was unbelievably lucky ...?

The the following year he was out ... keeping up with the fast guys again ... took a corner way too fast... ended up in a field and being airlifted to hospital... he now has one leg shorter than the other...

I always ride for myself.... my neighbour has given up riding and constantly tells me I’m mad for continuing to ride... he doesn’t understand... I don’t ride like he did ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
polar
Donator
Donator

Post by polar »

Pilly wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm Jompy - those sound like good roads, I’ve got a week kiddy free in September so I’ll take note of those as we are hoping to go to wales for a few rides that week.

You ride how fast you want to ride thats it and dont let anybody tell you otherwise.

Im a bit smacked up at the moment and cant ride :crying-yellow: :crying-blue: :confusion-helpsign: but when im up and running ill PM you, we can meet up and you can follow down the craven arms road so you can learn it again - its a great road for bikes. Its easy to remember and once you know it you will want to ride it again and again i promise you.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Pilly wrote:Jompy - those sound like good roads, I’ve got a week kiddy free in September so I’ll take note of those as we are hoping to go to wales for a few rides that week.

The usual thing here (NZ) is that people ride at their own pace and the lead group stop to wait for the others at intersections or somewhere prearranged. No one ever complains about waiting because that's what you do, and it's a chance to chat about the ride or whatever.

Lots of women ride now, and they are often the slowest, but not always. :)

Ride your own ride is used as a safety message here.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Yes Jompy that’s so true! I have 6 children and 7 grandchildren and they’re all my world so I do ride to come home to them, that’s my motto.
I guess me riding with confident riders makes me feel quite inadequate at times but, they all know how I ride but probably don’t understand the issues I have - my own demons lol

I used to be really anxious at riding my blade but that was quite heavy or it felt it compared to the R1, I feel ok on the R1 just not used to tight bends so I tell myself in like a lamb and out like a lion 😂 and I still hate right turns at cross roads or T junctions lol
That and I’m so worried that I’ll pull the throttle too hard so I end up under revving lol - it’s all a learning curve isn’t it
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Steve R1 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:39 pm Jompy, I know exactly how you feel, Joan is my world, and riding opportunities now I don’t commute, are few and far between...

I totally agree that you should always... always.... ride for yourself....

My next door neighbour always had to ride with the fast guys... I only went out with him a couple of times... and thought... nah... I don’t need this...

Trying to keep up with the fast guys resulted in two bad accidents... if the bike in front of him overtook a vehicle... he would automatically follow... that made our rides slower... as I had to ensure, for every overtake... he could safely follow.... that was frustrating...

Anyway... one day... the guy in front overtook a bus... he followed... had a head on with a lorry... his bike was totalled.. he walked away with a scratch on his right hand...he was unbelievably lucky ...?

The the following year he was out ... keeping up with the fast guys again ... took a corner way too fast... ended up in a field and being airlifted to hospital... he now has one leg shorter than the other...

I always ride for myself.... my neighbour has given up riding and constantly tells me I’m mad for continuing to ride... he doesn’t understand... I don’t ride like he did ...

Yes Steve, a bloke I ride with rides exactly the same! .... when I was overtaking today, I had to make sure I was totally in and to the left because I knew he would be right behind me and on the overtakes I didn’t think I would make or couldn’t see clearly enough to go, I would turn my head slightly over my right shoulder and he would be there basically looking me in the eye
So I wasn’t sure if it was my riding style he wasn’t used to but hubby (who always rides up front) said that’s how he always rides but it made me feel like I wasn’t quick enough or missed overtake opportunities etc - but, I know I’m a bugger for engine/downshifting braking so I don’t always show brake lights, my son in law has a standing joke with me about it but, I am never right up a riders arse so i guess I react differently because I see or notice more in front of me lol
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Well as you can see from the above post - I’ve still not got used to this copying messages to reply 😂
Have you had an off polar?
And yes please that would be great! Thank you ☺️
jompy

Post by jompy »

Pilly wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21 pm Well as you can see from the above post - I’ve still not got used to this copying messages to reply 😂
Have you had an off polar?
And yes please that would be great! Thank you ☺️
Heres the low-down on Polar
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20691
jompy

Post by jompy »

Pilly get out on your own and go for a pootle about , get used to the bike and the clutch control and just get some time in the seat 👍
One of my fears of sorts is stalling it pulling out of junctions and yes I've had it a few times , mind you it helps now not having to put the fucking thing back in to neutral before it'll start 😂
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Sorry to read polar has been so poorly 😔 - I hope the mend is going all in the right direction

Lack of childcare (my youngest is 11yr old but shows signs of autism) so while the schools have been shut, it’s been quite difficult to get out during the day, I might be brave enough when she goes back to school in September 🤞🏻
I think not always having the right bike and no destination as well as childcare all have contributed to not getting the miles to get the confidence but, I’m sure things will change in time ☺️
jompy

Post by jompy »

Pilly wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 pm Sorry to read polar has been so poorly 😔 - I hope the mend is going all in the right direction

Lack of childcare (my youngest is 11yr old but shows signs of autism) so while the schools have been shut, it’s been quite difficult to get out during the day, I might be brave enough when she goes back to school in September 🤞🏻
I think not always having the right bike and no destination as well as childcare all have contributed to not getting the miles to get the confidence but, I’m sure things will change in time ☺️
All the best for your daughter , out of interest i'd guess it's mild autism as it's only just showing or is it something that can get better ot worse ?

Hopefully things will ease up for you so you can get out for the odd hours spin
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

It’s probably more Aspergers for my daughter but they don’t use that term no more, it’s just being on the autism spectrum plus girls apparently are better at masking autism than boys and lots go unnoticed - my son who is almost 22 now had issues all his life even went to a school for kids with “behaviour issues” I was told he was just spoilt for many years but, I knew he was just different - he was diagnosed with autism & cognitive learning disabilities when he was 18 so, I’m quite used to traits of children with different abilities ☺️ Plus one of my grandsons has ADHD & autism.... we are just a family of craziness lol and I’m ok with that, it’s good to be different ☺️

I’m going to get some miles on the bike to help overcome confidence issues and fingers crossed I’ll build up the balls to go out on my own 😂
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

It’s probably more Aspergers for my daughter but they don’t use that term no more, it’s just being on the autism spectrum plus girls apparently are better at masking autism than boys and lots go unnoticed - my son who is almost 22 now had issues all his life even went to a school for kids with “behaviour issues” I was told he was just spoilt for many years but, I knew he was just different - he was diagnosed with autism & cognitive learning disabilities when he was 18 so, I’m quite used to traits of children with different abilities ☺️ Plus one of my grandsons has ADHD & autism.... we are just a family of craziness lol and I’m ok with that, it’s good to be different ☺️

I’m going to get some miles on the bike to help overcome confidence issues and fingers crossed I’ll build up the balls to go out on my own 😂
Pilly
Been Here a While

Post by Pilly »

Sorry about the double comment, my phone decided to play up and somehow the comment came through twice 🙄
jompy

Post by jompy »

Pilly wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:39 am Sorry about the double comment, my phone decided to play up and somehow the comment came through twice 🙄
The double posts are common on here , for me sometimes the forum just freezes when uploading .

Must be pretty fustrating knowing your childs different but being told they're spoilt :think: