Hi folks

New to the forum? Then say hello here
Khelan
Bike Make & Model: 98 R1
Has thanked: 0

Hi folks

Post by Khelan »

Hi folks, been lurking here for a while now and thought it's high time I said hello.

I'm iain, I'm based in the Glasgow area and I've got a 98 model 4xv in blue that I've owned since 2006. Over the last couple of years since covid hit I've been slowly working on the bike, undoing a lot of the bodges done by the previous owner that had always mildly annoyed me but I didn't have the time to deal with and getting the old girl to the spec I'd like.

So far she's been given a Harris high level exhaust, Harris adjustable rearsets, Ohlins steering damper, I've had a few of the panels repaired and resprayed and I've got a few other things planned/just waiting for the bits to get here including changing the front fork springs for hyperpro progressives and dropping in a 5pw shock (again with a hyperpro progressive spring fitted), I've also got a set of 50mm danst velocity stacks to fit but I'm going to leave them until I can afford the dyno time to get them properly set up.

Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Re: Hi folks

Post by Moise »

Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few current and ex 4xv owners here. But you probably know that already if you've been lurking for a while... And you should also know that we like photos. :)

I have a 5pw shock on my 4xv, and along with moving the axle right back in the slot, it really improved the handling. The 4xv linkage is already rising rate, unlike the 5pw, and the stock 5pw spring feels just about right to me for road use. I weigh about 85 kg without gear. A better quality shock, such as Nitron, would be another alternative.

You might want to have a look into the effect of changing fork oil level before buying progressive fork springs.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Khelan

Post by Khelan »

The springs came up at a price that was too good to pass up but I'll definitely experiment with changing the oil level in the forks.

I didn't know about moving the axle back in the slot, I'm assuming that it lengthens the wheelbase slightly making things a bit more stable?

I've also heard that swapping to the 5pw yokes changes the offset by about 10mm so I'm tempted to see if I can find myself a set of yokes for a reasonable price.
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

What are the spring rates on the Hyperpro springs? The stock rear on the 4xv is 0.8 kg/mm and is too soft unless you weigh about 60 kg! From memory, the 5pw spring is 0.88.

The main benefit of moving the axle back is it increases the swingarm length and reduces the tendency to wheelie. Keeping more weight on the front also reduces the twitchiness that you can get over bumps under hard acceleration. In fact, I don't even have a steering damper on my bike.

Deciding what suspension mods to do is an interesting exercise. Most people would agree that they are a bit twitchy as standard, but then you don't want to destroy the character that makes the 4xv such a fun bike to ride.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Khelan

Post by Khelan »

I'm unsure on the rates, looking at the rear spring the only thing it appears to have is the the code KBA 91323 0549 and the hyperpro logo on it,

I'm going to get it fitted to the shock tomorrow and I've just managed to score an adjustable rear linkage set on ebay from (according to the seller anyway) a well sorted R1 for not a lot of money so that'll let me adjust the rear ride height pretty easily and get more weight over the front as well as being able to get the bike to fit me a bit better.