New to the forum? Then say hello here
yammyfighter
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: yamaha r1 2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hey new guy here

Post by yammyfighter »

Hey guys new here from St helens :), im picking up my first yamaha 2000 r1 in a few days its been street fightered due to a crash back in 2001, it has 26k on clock and will be posting pics soon :D this forum looks really nice :), i was torn between an r1 and a gsxr but decided to go for a better built bike overall

Boz
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1M + R1 4C8

Re: hey new guy here

Post by Boz »

Welcome in mate, look forward to the pics!

You'll be best mates with Jompy the moderator on here once he sees this post as he has a street fightered R1 too!! :lol:
Live life in the fastish lane
Horus-222_R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1 - 14B/E

Post by Horus-222_R1 »

Welcome in buddy.
Jompy will even forgive you for considering the gixxer.
Enjoy the forum. There’ll be loads for you here.
2012 & yellow - must be one of those anni's.
Redjj
Been here too long
Bike Make & Model: MT-09 2018

Post by Redjj »

Another streetfighter !!! JOMPY!!!!!!!!!!
Alis volat propriis
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Mark
Nothing at all with an early R1 fighter 👍
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

hey new guy here

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum Mark, I don’t think you will be disappointed with your choice. I hope you realise you have just become Jompy’s (aka monkey face) best mate. His idea of modding a bike is to remove all fairings and fit a wooden too box..... still it takes all kinds I suppose, but we let him off because :

1. He is our famous resident primate, star of the track and the TV

2. He is the boss and he can ban us at the twiddle of his tool....

Some pics of jompy to follow...

His racing days...

His day job

And him relaxing

This is a great forum and peeps are always willing to help each other out.

Welcome and join in the banter

Stephen Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi and welcome Mark, you have obviously met our moderator, you should be very popular having a street fighter :clap:
yammyfighter
Lurker

Post by yammyfighter »

hey guys thank you for the warm welcome :) haha jompy your bike looks amazing :D i was never really a fan of a street fighters but these R1s work so well and look amazing :D im gonna have a look to see if i can find more info and pics of your bike on the forum is does look awesome :D
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Golly gosh... we now have two people on this forum, well one person plus primate, who believe a butchered R1 ... or half one (as we call them on here) looks beautiful.... each to their own.. lol

Being serious now, bikes are bikes and a half one is still an R1... just without its clothes .... and yes, they do look stunning

jompy

Post by jompy »

Steve R1 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:28 pm Golly gosh... we now have two people on this forum, well one person plus primate, who believe a butchered R1 ... or half one (as we call them on here) looks beautiful.... each to their own.. lol

Being serious now, bikes are bikes and a half one is still an R1... just without its clothes .... and yes, they do look stunning Image

Theres more than that if you really look , we've had a few streetfighters on here ;)
jompy

Post by jompy »

yammyfighter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:20 pm hey guys thank you for the warm welcome :) haha jompy your bike looks amazing :D i was never really a fan of a street fighters but these R1s work so well and look amazing :D im gonna have a look to see if i can find more info and pics of your bike on the forum is does look awesome :D
Thanks bud , to be fair i bought it streetfightered back in 2009 , i first saw it in 2008 i think it was but couldn't afford it but in 2009 i needed a better bike for 2 up and talked my mate in to selling it and i paid over the odd but it was well worth it 👌
To be honest i don't get out on it much these days but no way am i selling it .
I'll be expecting to see lots of pics of your when you get it 👍
This is how it was when i first bought it , didn't realise one of the forks was bent and neither did my mate that had owned it for a couple of years
Heres it loaded for a bike rally :lol:
And heres it and donnington earlier this year
yammyfighter
Lurker

Post by yammyfighter »

gotta admit jompy that bike suits you :D, im used to riding full fairing sport bikes or drz400s how will it feel riding the r1 which has been street fightered, ? the one im buying tomorrow was written off in 2001 but has been on the road ever since it only has 26k on the clock
jompy

Post by jompy »

yammyfighter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:15 pm gotta admit jompy that bike suits you :D, im used to riding full fairing sport bikes or drz400s how will it feel riding the r1 which has been street fightered, ? the one im buying tomorrow was written off in 2001 but has been on the road ever since it only has 26k on the clock
i started with a 1974 DT250b
1991 CRM250
then i got a KTM Duke II , a mate said the Half-One as the guys call it on here was like riding the Duke II but on steroids :lol: they weren't far wrong , i've never looked back even when the engine blew
jompy

Post by jompy »

Mark whats your biking history ?
Steve R1
Donator
Donator

Post by Steve R1 »

Some nice pics there jompy

yammyfighter
Lurker

Post by yammyfighter »

i started on a cg125 and from there went to a cbr600 for a while, then a kawasaki zx9r b1 which weighed the moon lol, then to a drz400 then after getting pulled because for some reason the police didn't beleive me that the bike wheelies on its own lol, so now coming back into sport bikes
jompy

Post by jompy »

yammyfighter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 pm i started on a cg125 and from there went to a cbr600 for a while, then a kawasaki zx9r b1 which weighed the moon lol, then to a drz400 then after getting pulled because for some reason the police didn't beleive me that the bike wheelies on its own lol, so now coming back into sport bikes
Sweet , yeah the KTM used to do that and the R1 , copper didn't believe me about the R1 either after i'd gone past his unmarked car :lol:
if you get an early R1 you'll love it , the 5jj has a better midrange than the 4xv but the seat has been altered to keep the rider forward wieght over the front more , i think all it is , is a shorter seat :lol:
The odd person goes on about how they also tamed the 5jj with longer gears for first and maybe second gears which from what i've read is bollocks .
When you ride an early R1 it sould be smooth from pull off all the way through the gears pulling cleanly , mine has -1 front sprocket and going at a steady pace its smooth and pulls nicely up to 5000rpm after that and up to around 8,500 it's nippy and fun but as you hit 8,500 to 9000 rpm it's a bit like hitting the power band on a 2 stroke although this is felt slightly more on the 4xv as the 5jj has the extra midrange which for the road is great 👍
yammyfighter
Lurker

Post by yammyfighter »

haha lmao did u get pulled by the unmarked car ? as thats what pulled me lmao, honestly i am looking forward to getting an R1 my friend has just bought an 08 version and i can't sadly save up 5k that fast i have just over £2k to spend on a nice one if truth be told.

jompy which R1 engine do you prefer out of them you have ridden ? :D
jompy

Post by jompy »

yammyfighter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:13 pm haha lmao did u get pulled by the unmarked car ? as thats what pulled me lmao, honestly i am looking forward to getting an R1 my friend has just bought an 08 version and i can't sadly save up 5k that fast i have just over £2k to spend on a nice one if truth be told.

Yes he nicked me :lol: he said why did you pull the wheelie and I replied I didn't mean too and he said come off it yes you did so rather than explaining all about sports bikes and the fact I was in the wrong gear I just ate loads of humble pie in stead and to be fair he was sound 👍
To be honest I've only ridden the 4xv and there's not a lot of difference other than I believe on the 5jj they stop you from getting so far back on the seat .
I now have a 5jj engine in mine but the big difference is the carbs , you get more mid range with the 5jj carbs 👍
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

jompy wrote:
yammyfighter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:13 pm haha lmao did u get pulled by the unmarked car ? as thats what pulled me lmao, honestly i am looking forward to getting an R1 my friend has just bought an 08 version and i can't sadly save up 5k that fast i have just over £2k to spend on a nice one if truth be told.

Yes he nicked me Image he said why did you pull the wheelie and I replied I didn't mean too and he said come off it yes you did so rather than explaining all about sports bikes and the fact I was in the wrong gear I just ate loads of humble pie in stead and to be fair he was sound Image
To be honest I've only ridden the 4xv and there's not a lot of difference other than I believe on the 5jj they stop you from getting so far back on the seat .
I now have a 5jj engine in mine but the big difference is the carbs , you get more mid range with the 5jj carbs Image
And the only difference between the carbs is the pilot jets. They are #15 in the 5jj vs 17.5 in the 4xv. And does it make a difference!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue