New to the forum? Then say hello here
R1mster
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 1999 R1 4XV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to the group. Hi from Bromsgrove

Post by R1mster »

Evening everyone. I came across this group through a facebook group post so I thought id have a look and join. Im from the midlands and currently have a 1999 R1. Its done 18,000 miles and this is backed up only with MOT certs. Its had a fair few owners and was purchased abroad initially and the guy moved back to the UK and brought the bike back with him in 2001. I dont believe the decals are correct for a 1999 model and it has a few mods too. The plan is to put it back to standard. I have an origional end can on the bike now and the origional undertray but this has been cut down.
The ignition key is hit and miss so I'd like to get that sorted as dont want to be stranded 👍🏻

jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Re: New to the group. Hi from Bromsgrove

Post by jompy »

Welcome in Malc
Nice clean 4xv but as you say it's not standard colours , heres a link that may help you
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6972
I hope you enjoy the forum , theres lots of useful info on here and a fair bit of banter so join in 👍
Nice into by the way and you even posted pics 😒
jompy
Bike Make & Model: 98 4xv Half-One

Post by jompy »

Also buddy in theres a few great threads in the projects section but carsons 98 restoration is a good read and also the 4xv and 5jj sections have loads of info
wilberts thread in the 4xv seciton is very detailed too
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19786
The lads are a great bunch with a fair bit of banter , theres a few of us that have been on here a while but don't let that put you off as theres no clicks and all are welcome so join in and ask away 👍
R1Clarky
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 5JJ

Post by R1Clarky »

welcome in pal, great bikes them early carb models nice colour too

Be nice, remember - you reap what you sew

Treat everyone with respect unless they prove themselves to be Unworthy :-)
Moise
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: Yamaha R1 4xv

Post by Moise »

Welcome in; great group of people here and we're a little crazier than usual because most of us are stuck at home. There are quite a few 4xv owners and ex-owners here, so plenty of knowledge and opinions.

Your bike looks in really good condition and is very original. I intended to return mine to original when I bought it, but decided to leave some of the mods like the cut down undertray and an aftermarket exhaust. I would change yours though! Not sure about the paint scheme on your rear cowling either.

The original ignition switches tend to stick. I though mine was about to fail when I bought it but it's still OK 5 years later. You just need to push the ket slightly away from you as you turn it. The right lubricant helps - I use CRC 2.26 because I have some for work, but there's also a Wurth product that others here recommend.
"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

1999 4xv in blue
Danf1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: 4c8,4xv

Post by Danf1 »

Welcome newb as above loads of helpful info if you can find it. Somehow the CHIMPBOT seems to find more than the rest of us if you get stuck rattle his cage and if his mrs hasn’t buried him under the patio in this lockdown he will help!
andy spartan
Been Here a While
Bike Make & Model: R1m 2019

Post by andy spartan »

Congrats on getting your new bike, and Welcome to this very knowledgeable and friendly forum.
Bike looks in very nice condition.
polar
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: FJR 1300, MT10SP

Post by polar »

Hi and welcome to the forum Malc - not to be confused with any normal forum this one is the best :clap:

I joined here when i was looking for another R1 4XV actually - there is the write up in the newboy section of the build.

I no longer have my R1 :crying-blue: but because of the members here im going nowhere as ive made some really good friends due to this forum - some ive met and have an off forum relationship with and some friends im yet to meet.

You will find the guys on here a really great bunch and only to willing to help you put your 4XV back to standard.
Steve R1
Donator
Donator
Bike Make & Model: R1M

Post by Steve R1 »

Welcome to the forum, great opening post and pics to boot :clap:

We love pics on here, they help those of us who can't read :D

You have got yourself a beautiful R1, in a nice colour too :D

As the guys have said, there is a wealth of knowledge on here, so any questions, just ask. There are no stupid questions :D , someone will always have an answer.

So welcome to our biking community , join in with the banter, have a laugh and just enjoy.

Welcome

Stephen :D
Dogs leave paw prints in our hearts
R1mster
Lurker
Bike Make & Model: 1999 R1 4XV

Post by R1mster »

Wow, thats a great welcome from a bunch of you. Thanks for the pointers and links on where to look.
I'll have a good read and look at other posts. Im also considering collecting all the parts to put it back to standard so I have them and keep some tasteful mods on the bike. Ive the origional end can but a nice aftermarket one would also be nice.
Ive Yoshi R77's on my other bike and they sound nice but very expensive (bike came with them).
Looks like I will enjoy the R1 a bit more now 🤣.
Thanks Malc 👍🏻👍🏻